The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2014, 08:12 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all
Default Why aren't more trout anglers using double taper lines?

After many years of struggling with mending, I finally decided to try a double tapered line. What a difference. My mending improved dramatically. Now, I don't see how I'll ever go back to a WF line when fishing for trout.

And so I'm wondering: Why are so many trout anglers using WF lines? Is there something I'm forgetting about those lines?

Randy
Old 05-22-2014, 08:20 AM

bloomagoo will become famous soon enoughbloomagoo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Why aren't more trout anglers using double taper lines?

Here are some opinions

Why Fish Double-Taper Fly Lines? | MidCurrent
Old 05-22-2014, 08:28 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Modern fast action graphite rods just match up better with weight forward lines.
Double taper lines are old fashion just like the rods used to cast them.

( I fish mostly DT lines myself. I even prefer them in the surf for distance mending )
fredaevans likes this.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:35 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Why a weight forward?

1) Itís what the starter outfit they bought came with.

2) Itís what the shop set them up with.

3) Itís what most respondents on-line will tell them they should buy.

4) itís what manufacturers will tell them would match up best with their rod.

5) Where distance is a premium and casting skills are at a minimum.

6) Where long range post cast mending is not as critical.

7) They often are the only choice offered in sink tips, full sinking, species specific or specialty tapers, etc.

8) Itís what they are comfortable with and have confidence in.

9 ) Because it came with loops installed at both ends.

10 ) Because they are available in so many kewl two tone colors.

Why I still fish some Double Tapers?
Iím old, infirmed and not to be taken to seriously.

Dave
Old 05-22-2014, 09:49 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

If you want a 'quest' try to get your hands on a DT line for a 2hander. Odds on, if you're lucky, you'll be accessing same out of the UK or Europe.

fae
Old 05-22-2014, 10:02 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

It makes me curious though... How well would some more modern tapers translate into DT lines? A stout aggressive taper that's used to cast large bulky flies like say the titan taper... The "running line" would be so thick and heavy that you'd overload your rod so much when you'd have anything more than 40' of line out...

Btw @ TT... #1 my first outfit was fitted with a level line... Didn't exactly sell me on the continuation of using level lines. Maybe with the resurgence of fiberglass DT is just around the corner.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:17 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I think in point of fact, a few/some/alot of folks enjoy seeing how far they can cast. If that's a goal, it probably makes sense to use a WF line, coupled with a fast rod, folks can fish a real cannon.

I personally don't think casting the farthest always means catching the most fish, but the nice thing about fishing, everyone can fish how they most enjoy.

I will say what I find interesting, there are so many folks who tell me how many more fish they have caught since going to a fixed-length line system. So why is that? The folks are fishing the same waters, for the same fish, more often than not using the same flies. So why the change in results?

Did the fisher suddenly get smarter?

Did the fish suddenly get dumber?

Who knows?
fredaevans and grtlksmarlin like this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 05-22-2014, 10:53 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

DTxF's are ideal in smaller environments where distance is unimportant. On large rivers they, by virtue of their uniform level midsection, over line not only modern graphite rods but even more so the softer tipped cane rods I used to fish them on. Now conventional WF lines have disadvantages too, most relevantly, the precipitous rear taper from head to running line is inept at transferring energy so hinges badly when striving to mend or feed slack into a dead drift. Lee Wulff gave this considerable thought in the 1960's and came up with the in-between idea of a "Long Belly" line. Todays' descendants of that line, Bruce Richard's SA "Expert Distance Taper" (not a great nor descriptive name) and John Harder's RIO Gold are like DT's for their first 35 to 40 feet then attenuate over 20+ feet of "rear taper" to the running line. this eliminates hinging and provides mass for roll casting, reach casting and all manor of in-air and on-water mending without drastically adding weight outside the tip-top. The best of both designs in one line. All the line makers produce lines like this in both smooth and textured surfaces, in true and 1/2 heavy versions and all manor of colors. This is the only design category I fish for trout with and find them optimal in all size steams...one variant to keep in mind is some, like SA's Textured Trout have quite long front tapers and others, RIO Gold have more conventional front sections. This impacts the type and length leader you may elect to use.

It is easy, when you attain the stature of having a Golden Eagle Pass, to rely on habitualized behaviors developed in the good old days. As Lee Wulff's hair went silver, he continued, even accelerated thinking innovatively. Try one of these Extended Head, Long Rear Taper lines, what I like to call "presentation tapers", they're innovative.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:27 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Have a friend who is somewhat poor, but highly motivated.
He needed a new nymphing line but couldn't afford one. Had chunks falling out of his old one.
He wandered into an outlet store, and found a bright orange DT.
It was only one line up from his rod (we often go up 2.) he bought it anyway.....for twenty bucks. (We're fishing fast action rods.)
Took a black magic marker to it. Banded it every 6-8" up the line for 10ft.
Even though the water here is big enough to think distance....70-80 feet across the river, we know they are closer.
(To answer pzsy22....close up is more effective....the odds of landing a fish hooked closely, are better than far far away.....A "loosely coupled system"....not to say I still don't try.....)
Roll cast and water-load is the style here, while throwing fairly serious junk..13 ft 3x leader, and 3 ABs at least.
Anyway.....this month he hit his stride.
A 4 drift 18"er, a 3drift 20"er, a 2drift 22", and then a one drift 24"brown (Which was his girl friends first time to go fishing with him....)
A week later he hit his first Walter-class-fish of 26 inches and about 6lbs..I got to scoop it....
(shortly after that he broke off a fish the same length but much heavier
He has graduated from my teaching pretty much.......although we still fish together a bunch.
He loves his ugly DT.........
I have them on two of my client rods, banded, but not orange.......
The main deal, is that the heavy belly allows surgical mends, which helps make a better drift, which is the bottom line....
I got a DT when I started, but like most folks, I thought far was better.....so I suffered with a WF for many years....ineffectual mends.
Not the way I think now.......close-up stats are much better than far stats.
Have one on my 2-hander as well. Sweet.....

Jim
grtlksmarlin likes this.

Last edited by Bigfly; 05-22-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:57 AM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

I went looking for a Wulff triangle t line and the fly shop talked me into a Rio trout taper. The head is very close to a TT for the front 42'. I don't fish trout and I do not particularly like the way it casts and seldom use it. It is a good line. It just does not suit me or my fishing. I prefer a shorter head WF or a DT.