The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2008, 10:13 PM

Overly Hackled is on a distinguished road
Default Some times ya just get dumb lucky!

Some times ya just get dumb lucky,

Lasts fall I was watch a young fella ( about 12 years old) clean out an old shed next to his grand dads barn. His job was to load all the "junk" out of the shed and take it to the burn barrel or load it in the back of the pick up for a run to the land fill.
I had the good to go to survey anything that was headed to the bone yard of history and salvage it for my own future dump run.I saw the lad come out with an old burlap potato sack with a rod tip and steel ferrel sticking out of the top. My gear junkie radar lit up and I closed in for the rescue grab.

In the old sack was a beautiful Heddon Vicount 8' 2pc.D HDH HCF fiberglass fly rod with a genuine made in Japan Sears fly reel .The wraps holding the old steel snake guides were in great shape and the cork handle had the signature of many fly hooks dotting its well worn and sweat smoothed shape.

The reel is a clear knock off of the legendary Pfluger Medalist that was the standard bearer for fly reels for the average Joe from its introduction some time in the 1930's I believe.Any how this period piece Japanese knock off is complete with left hand thumb adjustable drag knob and white plastic handle and spool lock cover.

Most of you folks under 50 have quit reading this by now ,but for an Old Fart like me to find a set up like this in such great shape and save it from the land fill is a victory for those of us who grew up fishing this sort of great.It clearly is not a $900 wonder rod with a high end tight smooth cork handle and a $600 titanium machine turned reel with 20lb. Dacron backing and a fly line with a chemical pedigree that was 20 years in the making.

While I don't really want to fish with horse hair or silk lines cat gut leaders and Tonkin cane split bamboo rods ( that would not cost more than the above referenced wonder rod and reel!) .I would love to find a serviceable HDH double taper that had a tip diameter of .025 and a body diameter of .o45
tie on one of the traditional Catskill dry flies I still tie up, pull on a pair of smelly old rubberized canvas waders and have ago at just above the Five Arches Bridge on the Esopus Creek with my new "rescue rod"
Ever On ,
Your Pal >>>>>>>>>>> Overly Hackled
Old 03-07-2008, 02:11 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Some times ya just get dumb lucky!

Overly,
You sound just like a kid home from the candy shop!

Sounds like a great find. I love old Tackle too, fly or spinner, it doesn't matter.
Some of it you can just feel the "FishKarma" in it....

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-07-2008, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Overly Hackled,

Nice find. If your rod is rated for a HDH line you should be able to use a 6wt double taper line and be close to the correct line. At least that would be the case with a HDH Silk line.

Frank
Old 03-08-2008, 01:57 PM

Overly Hackled is on a distinguished road
Re: Some times ya just get dumb lucky!

Thanks Frank. I figured it was a 6 or 7wt.Good to get some independent verification. I doubt a "modern" fly line has ever slid through those old guides. If we weren't in the middle of a full blown ice and snow gale in these parts right I'd give it a cast. Think I do some on line surfing and see if I can order up an old Cortland 333 line that is still serviceable. Leon Chandler would more than likely have recommended it.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Guess I'll throw in a young'uns perspective.

The rod sounds absolutely great, but a fresher line would likely do it some good. I've got a soft spot for 8' midweight rods, and that one sounds like one I would baby like a vintage masterpiece.

A Cortland Sylk line would be another good option. They're designed specifically to work best with glass and bamboo rods.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:12 AM
ThePriestmaker is on a distinguished road

Where as I have no Idea ofthe rod you are talking about, being from England, you sound a very happy man. No doubt when you use that rod, you will be transported back in time for a few hours, happy fishing, and congratulations on your lucky find friend.

Paul
Old 03-10-2008, 06:55 AM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

Congrats!

I love glass rods and several times a year do pawn shop hopping to look at what they have. Mostly I find junk and move on but occasionally I hit pay dirt.

My last great find was an Orvis glass rod which was in immaculate shape. $80 later we were heading out the door.

While graphite is great in getting nice tight loops and beating the wind, there is nothing like a lazy casting stroke in the middle of a warm fall day with the trout sipping blue wings off the surface around you.

Man, I cannot wait till the snow is off the highlands.