The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 08:49 AM

ozarkadver is on a distinguished road
Default Jacket

Looking for a good quality fishing jacket. That is waterproof and vent able. Any advise. Thanks Ben.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Jacket

I've had a lot of people recommend the Simms G3 to me and the Patagonia jacket also. I haven't bought a new one yet I just keep waxing the old Filson and I have a vintage Lewis Creek that was reconditioned by the company a few years back that I haven't used so it's like new.

When I lived down East (Pennsylvania, VA, GA, & CO.) The wax cotton jackets were enough rain protection in most instances of rainy day fishing. Here in AK. I gotta keep them waxed real good or they wont make the first few hours. I just like them, I know they don't measure up to the G3 or any of the other new ones out there and one of these days I'll buy a Simms. I have a pair of their waders and like them a lot.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-06-2010, 03:49 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

There are many good jackets that are on the market. Patagonia SST and Simms G-series jackets will endure over a long period of time.

MP
Old 08-06-2010, 04:27 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

It's very hard to beat the Patagonia warranty.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:26 PM

turner66 is on a distinguished road

Simms G4 here, gunmetal (not that gawdy orange one ). I admit, price was kinda steep even though my local shop gave me a little bit of a deal and sold it to me for the same price as a G3. I have been very pleased with it, and it is "ventable" as you requested. I think it is the only jacket in the Simms lineup with "pit zips", at least it was when I got this one. The cuffs seal nicely, and the hood adjustments are nice for keeping it off your face or blocking your peripheral vision. Good quality hardware and construction too. I'm convinced it is going to last me a very long time.