The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Frogs Fanny flyfloatant??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
You wanna order some, I would split the cost. I don't think either of us would ever use that much.

Sure, why not. Which one?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-10-2008, 11:11 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
I tried a Frog's Fanny but it kept crapping in my pocket. Frank
Frank, that's why they make mesh pockets!

BTW, stupid question - what is/are CDCs?

Neil
Old 03-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

"C.D.C." or "Cul De Canard", roughtly translated means feathers from a Ducks butt, or more accurately from around the Preening Gland.

Here's a little article by Rene Harrop, who probably uses more cdc than anyone.

Thoughts on CDC
by Rene Harrop

Although I have relied strongly upon feathers from waterfowl since the mid 1950s it is only the past dozen or so years that CDC has existed in my personal fly tying picture. Despite this relatively short period of familiarity these innocent little wisps have installed themselves as my favored material for the delicate and realistic images make necessary by the demanding waters where I fish most frequently.

On the Henry's Fork, which flows nearby, only perfect presentation of a flawless imitation will bring sustained results. CDC, more than any other material, has allowed me to duplicate the appearance, behavior and position of floating or partially submerged insects both aquatic and terrestrial. The fly tying world certainly has become alert to the flotational benefits of CDC. It is my opinion that overdressing an imitative fly is the most common explanation for refusal. Trout on pressured waters easily separate a bulky unrefined imitation from a real insect. amazingly small amounts of CDC will give adequate support on the slow clear currents where selectivity is at it highest.

From the beginning I have treated CDC feathers as though they were hackle tips when winging dry flies or emerging patterns. Two feathers are typically utilized as wings, although one feather will often suffice for extremely small caddis or midge styles. I sort the CDC according to the size of fly I intend to tie, saving the longest feathers for Drakes and other larger imitations. Fibers Stripped from the center stem work nicely for legs, tails and antennae.

Much has been made of CDC's ability to trap air bubbles but I am not certain this feature triggers a positive response from trout. I am convinced, however, that the yielding characteristic of soft CDC fibers promotes subtle movement in the fly. This, I believe, contributes to more lifelike behavior than rigid materials such as deer hair.

The test of any fly is it's ability to convince a fish that it is real. It is my conviction, based upon results, that well designed and properly constructed CDC flies easily hold their own amount the world's most successful patterns. However, despite it's popularity in other countries, CDC has yet to receive full approval here in the U.S.A.. This is likely attributed to unwarranted expectation of something "magical" in the somewhat misunderstood material. No fly possesses the ability to cancel poor casting skills, and a poorly tied pattern will seldom fool an angler wizened trout regardless of it's components.

There are few days when insects are on the water and the trout are rising that I will be found with something other than a CDC fly on my tippet. Such is the confidence I have gained in these remarkable little feathers, and I do not see this changing in the foreseeable future. I do not fool every trout, fly fishing is not like that, but I believe my chances are as good with a CDC fly as with anything. CDC is here to stay and it is only a matter of time until it gains it's just respect.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-11-2008, 11:16 AM

GRN will become famous soon enough

Fumed silicate is not frog's fanny, fanny also contains silica nitrate IIRC, and maybe even shimazaki or something similar. We do a mix of frog's fanny, fumed silicate, and shimazaki in a shaker container. Fumed silicate alone will work primarily as a drying agent, and will not render the same results on the water as the frog's fanny.

Does anyone use Bergman's formula? I can't get too exited about using white gas on my flies, but the old timers who use it swear by it.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 03-11-2008, 01:08 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN View Post
Fumed silicate is not frog's fanny, fanny also contains silica nitrate IIRC, and maybe even shimazaki or something similar. We do a mix of frog's fanny, fumed silicate, and shimazaki in a shaker container. Fumed silicate alone will work primarily as a drying agent, and will not render the same results on the water as the frog's fanny.

Does anyone use Bergman's formula? I can't get too exited about using white gas on my flies, but the old timers who use it swear by it.

So we can just buy massive quantities from you?!
Old 03-11-2008, 01:48 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough

Nah, I'll charge too much

It's easy enough (got this from Bishop while we were fishing Kennebago last summer), mix the contents of one bottle of Dry Shake (shimazaki), with one bottle of Fanny and an equal amount of fumed silica. Use the dry shake bottle for application (fill half full). When you start to notice less powder adhering to the fly the first two times, add a little more Fanny. When you start no notice less powder adhering to the fly the third time, discard what's left in the bottle and replenish with more of the original mixture. Try it and compare to your results with fumed silica alone, I'll be surprised if you don't see a huge difference. It also produces better air 'sacs'. I use samadou prior to putting the fly in the shaker.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford