The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Frogs Fanny flyfloatant?? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/3522-frogs-fanny-flyfloatant.html)

fyshstykr 03-07-2008 03:02 AM

Frogs Fanny flyfloatant??

Any folks use it? Is it compatable with C.D.C.?

sandfly 03-07-2008 07:21 AM

Re: Frogs Fanny flyfloatant??

its the only type of dessicant, you should use..never use a paste type on CDC flies..

fyshstykr 03-07-2008 09:28 AM

Right,
I do know not to use any floatant on cdc other than "natural cdc oil", not that you cannot use floatant on a fly with cdc on it, just don't get any floatant on the cdc itself.

I did not relize that "Frogs Fanny" was a dessicant, I guess if I would have looked at the bottle up close I would have huh. lol:wink:

Ok thanks Sandfly, that answers my question.

Greenwood 03-07-2008 10:01 AM

Hi,
Yeah, I use Frog's Fanny all the time.......especially on CDC. I keep it close at hand and fequently swipe it across regualr dry fly hackle as well just to keep it floating well without needing to resort to the liquids. I guess you can use it on fuzzy nymphs too, if you want to give them some air-bubble's ala' LaFontaine although I've never really used it that way. You can't replace the liquid completely though if you grease your leaders, etc.

GRN 03-07-2008 10:35 AM

The stuff is great, I use it strait and also mix it with a silica based drying material in a shaker configuration. For Drake hatches I find cripples to draw better (bigger) fish. I use a local streamer variant, grease it first to reduce absorbtion, and then fanny it up for flotation and air sack simulation. Best Kennebago Brookie to date (18.75", 4.3 lb) was a victim of this rig, works great.

We have played with it on streamers just to see how much it will hold up, and have found that even patterns that are mostly hook will float using this stuff.

sandfly 03-07-2008 02:37 PM

They are all silica based, just ground to a powder...Oh yea dont breathe them you can die from silica in the lungs...

Frank Whiton 03-07-2008 06:32 PM

Hi to all,

I tried a Frog's Fanny but it kept crapping in my pocket. :wink:

Frank

Joni 03-07-2008 06:54 PM

I too use it. It is my good luck charm. I even put it on emergers, puts a nice little bubble around it, fish love it!

fyshstykr 03-07-2008 07:27 PM

Frank, Frank, Frank......:tongue:

adrian 03-07-2008 08:20 PM

switched to it a couple years ago and have never missed the greasy liquid mess. works like a charm and has a multitude of applications