The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2014, 12:07 AM

tdc rangemaster is on a distinguished road
Default kindness on the river.

On my second trip to Little Missouri river in Arkansas, I was struggling catching 3 trout in 2 trips. I observed another fisherman fishing a deep hole catching fish after fish I didn't want to move in on him and was just trying different things on the flat. after a while the fisherman's partner came in the water where I was fishing and asked if I been fishing long and he could help. he handed me a fly which I thought at first was a joke' (cant divulge), but after trying it I got the fishes attention but it was still slow. The other fisherman called me down to his location and tied on a 5x flouro tippet and I put on an indicator. the difference was immediate as I started catching fish immediately.. I picked his brain for information and I learned a lot about the river. I stood beside him and caught more than I thought to count including a battle with a larger 16 inch rainbow that spit the hook after a prolonged battle. I had a great time and will not forget their kindness and intend to help the next struggling angler I can.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:28 AM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: kindness on the river.

Great story!

Fisherman and gun hunters are typically a tough bunch to get close to. It's funny how many seem to think that every tiny scrap of advice they offer will cost them a fish or a deer, yet on that rare occassion you encounter the right sorts.........Personally I think they're probably bowhunters.

Here in Michigan the folks are the same as i just described....The bow hunting community in contast seems all to willing to "pass it on", share what they know and even suggest a few prime spots. Time and again I've asked the same question. "Do you bow hunt?"

Funny how in every case those secretive to even downright mean would always reply as to my inferred lack of their intelligence to do so....Yet those that were always helpful stating "why yes, need to find a good spot around here?"

Good on you if you can pass it on

B.E.F.
mcnerney likes this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:54 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Great story, thanks for sharing!

We have a bunch of folks on this forum that are just as kind and are more than willing to help out another angler.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:05 AM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

I had an old gent walk up to me and offer casting tips while I was flailing the water. It was almost 40 years ago, and is still clear in my mind. The improvement was immediate, and then he just walked off to continue his fishing. I try to be as gracious to others as he was to me. Getting someone started on the right path is so appreciated.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:10 AM

gfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the roughgfirob is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for posting, I love stories like this, it restores my faith in the human race. Generosity of knowledge and spirit are at the very foundation of what makes us decent people and every time I experience this kind of thing - the suggestion of a change in tactics or advice about the river or just a story about success on another river - I always feel particularly lucky. And I try to do the same myself when I can. Too many of us resent the intrusion of other fisherman (I include myself in this at times) or would rather watch somebody struggle and fail while fishing than lend a hand, and in the end it just makes us all smaller people. So if you have the experience and the knowledge, pass it on.
Thanks again for posting.
Rob
mcnerney, mridenour, siege and 5 others like this.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:31 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

I'm guessing that your persistence in trying to catch fish even though your success rate was low caused you to pass the test. I hate to say it but some people don't deserve much help. They want the quick and easy, wham bam, thank you ma'am kind of fishing. Let them find their own help.

If you are willing to work hard to catch fish and aren't succeeding, you earn respect and with respect comes the sharing of knowledge. They knew they wouldn't return to their spot the next day and find twenty of your closest friends surrounding a pocket of fish using their secret fly.

Your willingness not to divulge the fly they gave you proves that their estimation of your character was correct.

Thanks for sharing. You now know the secret of learning new waters anywhere you go.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:49 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

So having been on the receiving end I try to pay it forward after this story

I was fishing (not catching) and a guy comes down through the trees and stands next to the river 15-20' from me. It is a small run , a single fisherman type of run. I am thinking to myself "get lost dillweed". He politely says "any luck"...I politely say not really how about you. His response was yeah not bad 18 fish or so just up around the corner. My radar went up since I think I was on fish # 0. "Oh yeah, on what" ? He says little midges running deep. Apparently the I don't have the foggiest idea what you just said look on my face was a dead give away that a little advice wouldn't be unappreciated. He proceeds to ask what I was using and I said throwing this EHC to the risers across the stream. Politely he says well no wonder your not catching fish, first off wrong fly and secondly your casting across 3 currents and from up the hill he could only see a single fish over there..odds are pretty low. He says can I show you some things....well of course now I am ready to learn.

He stands next to me and instructs me to look up stream and the bottom of the deepest part of the river. Hmmmm low and behold fish were stacked up. He proceeds to throw a cast up stream and hook a fish. Pulls his rig out of the water and shows me the bugs, goes through my fly box and finds a similar fly, ties it on for me, gives me a strike indicator ( Had no clue about them at that point in time).

First cast I get a big old tangle and he offers to fix it for me. I politely said no thanks he had already helped tremendously, and that I was out of time and apparently had a lot to learn.Which I am still learning today.

I try to pay it forward. A few months back I am fishing and catch about 20 in a 2hr stretch. Guy 100yards up river didn't so much as have a bite the entire time. As I am leaving I walk up and ask him if he is having any luck....no he says he cant figure it out. I snipped by double nymph rig off (Red Two-Bit Hooker trailed by a JuJuBee midge) handed it to him with a spare of each and said tie this on and throw it in the deeper runs.

I didn't hang out to watch and see, but I imagine he had to at least have a little luck after that.
mcnerney, mridenour, siege and 4 others like this.

Last edited by comeonavs; 06-02-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:53 AM

repperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtlksmarlin View Post
Great story!

Fisherman and gun hunters are typically a tough bunch to get close to. It's funny how many seem to think that every tiny scrap of advice they offer will cost them a fish or a deer, yet on that rare occassion you encounter the right sorts.........Personally I think they're probably bowhunters.

Here in Michigan the folks are the same as i just described....The bow hunting community in contast seems all to willing to "pass it on", share what they know and even suggest a few prime spots. Time and again I've asked the same question. "Do you bow hunt?"

Funny how in every case those secretive to even downright mean would always reply as to my inferred lack of their intelligence to do so....Yet those that were always helpful stating "why yes, need to find a good spot around here?"

Good on you if you can pass it on

B.E.F.

Does muzzle loaders count

Ryan
mcnerney and grtlksmarlin like this.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:57 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

On my first ever solo fishing trip 7 years ago when I didn't even know how to tie the right clinch knot, I caught none while a group of guys 10ft away from me caught fish after fish. They came to me and offered me some tips, rigging and even used their bait. I still caught nothing but really appreciated their help. When I packed up for home, they even offered me some of their trouts.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:07 AM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by repperson29 View Post
Does muzzle loaders count

It depends, inline or offset ignition....Flintlocks naturally a plus, hehe

B.E.F.
mcnerney likes this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.