The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By stimulator2
  • 3 Post By diamond rush
  • 2 Post By oldnewguy
  • 3 Post By grtlksmarlin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2014, 08:22 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of
Default If you could....

While out riding the new toy with Ann,and my daughter yesterday.I let Sara do the driving for the most part and Ann took pictures.
Click the image to open in full size.
We rode to this old pond that was going to be a ski slope back in the 60s or 70s this thing used to have fish in it but have long since been caught out and all trails and roads are overgrown.I did bushwhack through to get a pic.
Click the image to open in full size.
There is a lot of bug life there and a good elevation around 5000'.So here is the question if you could would you take some native Brook Trout from a nearby stream and put some life in this old pond.I have thought about it and i have access to be able to do this.What do you y'all think.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:12 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all
Default Re: If you could....

I think you need be closely supervised in such an endeavor, and volunteer my services as an independent auditor to ensure the health of the brook trout placed there.

Kidding aside, it's illegal to do so, but obviously it isn't enforced. Just check how many private ponds hold crappie around here. Personally, I'd do it.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:58 AM

oldnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rough

My thoughts......................

1. Is it private land or public?

2. Is the water deep enough for trout to get into cold water in the summer?

If not, your efforts would just lead to dead fish.

Our club ponds (spring fed) need to be at least 20 ft. deep so the trout can get down to the thermal cline in the summer which generally is 10 feet or more. (Remember, I live in New England where our summers are a little cooler than yours) If I remember correctly? they will die in 70 degree water.

Something to think about.......

Tight lines,

Joe

PS Personally, I'd put a worm on a hook and throw it out there.........no pond stays barren for very long....you just might be surprised what you catch!
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:02 AM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

Well, my suggestion would be if it really interests you to find a "legal" way to go about it, and heck, then your DNR might even help. In the end however I think you might find that still water offers different problems than say running water primarily due to aeration or getting free oxygen into the water.

Speak with the land owners to get their permission and legally obtain the fish....But first do a little research to not only do it on the up and up, but also to find out how well it will support fish.

B.E.F.
mcnerney, cpiercem and jaybo41 like this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:41 PM

toxicfly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtlksmarlin View Post
Well, my suggestion would be if it really interests you to find a "legal" way to go about it, and heck, then your DNR might even help. In the end however I think you might find that still water offers different problems than say running water primarily due to aeration or getting free oxygen into the water.

Speak with the land owners to get their permission and legally obtain the fish....But first do a little research to not only do it on the up and up, but also to find out how well it will support fish.

B.E.F.
+1 there is a beautiful pond by me called sunfish pond. The water is too acidic for anything. Beautiful place though

Jason
Old 06-03-2014, 08:10 AM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Since it use to have fish in it, then it could possibly still support fish. It's easy enough to find out who it belongs to, the county assessor can tell you who is paying the taxes on it.
What a neat thought..... A hidden pond. I think it would be awesome to rehab the area to fish and picnic in. Be sure you are not trespassing or violating some DNR rules. You can buy fish at hatcheries and fish farms. Once you see if it can all be done legal and legit, I'd say go for it !?
Old 06-03-2014, 08:24 AM

royalcoach is on a distinguished road

Stock it with gators and snakeheads

Just kidding ..... I like the idea of dropping a worm on a bobber in there and seeing what you come up with.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:06 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

The current land is as we speak being looked at to be bought by the wildlife commission.The pond in years past had some nice rainbow in it and is spring feed with good water at the top of the mountain below the earth dam the small stream has a population of Native Brook and lower down Rainbow.My thought would be to just catch and carry in cooler over the dam and release .The pond is pretty deep to but not sure how deep.