Best dog breed to take fishing?

roguebum

Reaction score
So, I have a Siberian Husky that has been with us for about 8 years or so and I've never "technically" taken her fishing. She has been with me in spirit and in fly, as I have stolen some of her undercoat over the past few years to tie up a steelhead fly called the "Red Sheba", but Huskies are known to be "opportunists". They still have quite a bit of wandering wild in them and generally are know to take off at any moment, never to be heard from again. Very sweet dog, but still a bit like a wolf in many ways.

I was just told from the vet, that she probably only has a few years left in her as Huskies only live to be 12 or so years old. Her hips are already bad and her eyes are getting that milky glaze to them that shows blindness coming on. I'm not looking forward to that day when she will be gone, but it is forcing me to look at what comes next. Obviously, no dog can replace her, but what dog can help usher in a kind of a new "fishing friend" era?

I guess, in a nutshell, what dog breed do you think would be great with kids & obedient enough to take on fishing trips?

guest61

Reaction score
I had a HUGE Siberian, Malamute mix. Wonderful, beautiful dog. But exactly as you described. He was very loyal, but would bail if given the chance. He was found many many miles from where he ran off a few times. And your life span is dead on too. Baloo lived to 13.

For an ideal take-along dog and loyal family pet, its hard to beat a lab. Yellow labs would probably top the list.

j4son

Reaction score
Definitely not my Black Lab... She loves swimming so much that she would jump right in and scare the fish away! :sorry:

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm with j4son. Labs like to swim too much

I don't think that it's the breed as much as the maturity level
My dogs that I took with me fishing were old enough so that they didn't need to be baby sat. They're rather lie in the shade than run off chasing anything that moved.
But I could move along the stream and they would follow, always keeping me in sight.

In fact, when my son was a baby I'd take both the boy and the dog fishing with me. I would put the boy in a portable play-pen when it was nap time and the dog would watch him while I fished
:yikes: ( I didn't go far)
I remember one time with that old dog, I knew where he was, asleep in a streamside meadow, because I could see where the the vultures were circling. :eek:

diamond rush

Reaction score
Danish Crappie Hound.

They're trained to dive into perspective fishing holes and retrieve game fish. And, due to their size, they can carry a full case of beer in a cooler.

Actually, we just call her that because she has to sniff every fish I bring home.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
So, I have a Siberian Husky that has been with us for about 8 years or so and I've never "technically" taken her fishing. She has been with me in spirit and in fly, as I have stolen some of her undercoat over the past few years to tie up a steelhead fly called the "Red Sheba", but Huskies are known to be "opportunists". They still have quite a bit of wandering wild in them and generally are know to take off at any moment, never to be heard from again. Very sweet dog, but still a bit like a wolf in many ways.

I was just told from the vet, that she probably only has a few years left in her as Huskies only live to be 12 or so years old. Her hips are already bad and her eyes are getting that milky glaze to them that shows blindness coming on. I'm not looking forward to that day when she will be gone, but it is forcing me to look at what comes next. Obviously, no dog can replace her, but what dog can help usher in a kind of a new "fishing friend" era?

I guess, in a nutshell, what dog breed do you think would be great with kids & obedient enough to take on fishing trips?
Match her/him up with an older Lab (Yellow is Good :D) to 'calm him down.' Will they wander? Yup, but more 'explore' and the two will come back when they get used to being 'whistled up.' Or at least my two did.

God I miss Huskers! 130 pounds occupied 1/3'rd of my bed. Toss in 100 pounds of Yellow Lab and there was damned little left for me.

But it was all good. On the beach and go off and do their 'sniffs,' toss tennis balls for the Lab ... Husky would wade up to his tummy .. NO FURTHER. A 'man of substance?'

Amazing how you forget moments with the transition of your 'human family' but the Dog Memories stick with you.

Or so says a Sr. Citizen.

fae

gfirob

Reaction score
Best fishing dog hands down is the Irish Ghost Hound. They don't eat, they don't sh*t, they don't jump in your pool and they have been dead for 300 years...

noreaster

Reaction score
I have to agree with many of the previous commenters, if you are talking a strict fishing dog then a water dog is not the way to go. Anyone have a jack russell terrier? For some reason I can see them doing a nice job as a fishing companion. :)

wjl

Reaction score
I have to disagree on water dogs not being a good fishing dog.
A well trained dog will sit on the shore and follow you up the river or stand by your side in knee deep water while fishing and know at the end of the day he/she will get to play in the river and roll in the grass on the walk back to the truck.
Or even catch fish that you missed in the last hole. Yes one of my goldens did that with out harming it. Very soft mouthed. He was amazing.

noreaster

Reaction score
I have to disagree on water dogs not being a good fishing dog.
A well trained dog will sit on the shore and follow you up the river or stand by your side in knee deep water while fishing and know at the end of the day he/she will get to play in the river and roll in the grass on the walk back to the truck.
Or even catch fish that you missed in the last hole. Yes one of my goldens did that with out harming it. Very soft mouthed. He was amazing.
Fascinating. I would have paid good money to see that catch and release. :)
I should have said unless the water dog was a well trained pouch. I have had many a hole ruined by joggers running by with their labs, who wanted a ill advised swim and took advantage of the deepest part of the river. I just laughed it off but was a little miffed that the owners had no control or little care of what Blackie was up to. :)

hunt247

Reaction score
The best dog to take fishing is a well trained one.
My last dog (RIP Cooper) was a lab & absolutely lived to be in the water as much as he possibly could. He was well trained & would stay out of the water when I was fishing, yes, it did take some time & messed up fishing holes to get him trained, but we got there. He was always rewarded with lots of retrieves at the end of the day!
My current dog Jase is a 1 year old Deutsch Drahthaar & is becoming a fine fishing companion!

cab

Reaction score
The best dog for anything is a good dog.

I have a Jack Russell Terrier, Sadie May is my buddy. If she doesn't go fishing, I don't go. Too much fun having her around. Great pets if you can keep up with them. Exercise, and lots of it, will be rewarded.

I was long of the opinion that dogs and fishing don't go together, however unnatural it may sound. most of my friend's dogs would jump in the hole, run off, or climb in my lap when I've got the fly box open, scattering the flies that didn't get stuck in their fur, then get tangled up in the flyline. I've since seen better behaved/trained dogs, and now agree: it depends.

For the record: Mercedes came to me (at age 3) very well trained, and unusually mellow. I take a little pride in knowing a thing or two about canines, but I'm no Dog Wisperer.

CAB

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
I'v never had Heidi, my boxer, fishing. Don't know how she'd do but she does love the outdoors. We go out back in the forest all the time prowling around and shes a good companion. LOVES to chase squirrels. Just not sure how she'd be on the stream though. Might do good,,I should try her one time on a short fishing trip.

fishenfool

Reaction score
Danish Crappie Hound.

They're trained to dive into perspective fishing holes and retrieve game fish. And, due to their size, they can carry a full case of beer in a cooler.

Actually, we just call her that because she has to sniff every fish I bring home.
My Miniature Schnauzers did more than sniff. They actually lick each fish I take out of the basket and in some cases would try to grab hold of the tail. 2 of the 3 are no longer with me but I am hoping I can train our new puppy to take their place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

tex

Reaction score
I have 2 german shepherds. 1 will lay on the bank all day the other refuses to leave the water...oh and she thinks that the fly line is a toy worth chasing all day

mattwolf

Reaction score
I have two black labs. One male and one female. The male is not fixed and he likes to wonder. The female is fixed and she is awesome to take anywhere. I hate to split them up, but the female stays with me all the time. When is comes to breeds, the Labrador Retriever is the #1 registered breed in the country. They are great family lovers. Our two dogs have never once tried to hurt our kids and the kids of tortured them by laying on them, pulling their ears, and tails. All dogs can be trained. It all depends on how much time you want to spend with them. German Shepherds are great family dogs as well. They will stay close to you as well as protect your family.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
I have to agree with many of the previous commenters, if you are talking a strict fishing dog then a water dog is not the way to go. Anyone have a jack russell terrier? For some reason I can see them doing a nice job as a fishing companion. :)
Don't have a Jack Russell but a good (fishing) friend had "Roy." Doubt Mark and he were ever seperated for than a few moments during a normal day. Into Mark's jet boat and off He, Roy and my Yellow lab would go down the Rogue River (well I was in the boat too).:fishing:

At that time the only way you could access a large section of the Rogue (before they pulled out out Gold Rae dam). Motor down and you have to motor back.

Anyway, nose of low side boat against the beach and those two dogs were off like a shot chasing each other around. Total hoot to watch ... do Jack's ever slow down???? Get tired????????? Not that I ever saw.:icon_roll

Time to move and whistle them up and they'd jump into the boat (well, Roy needed a boost) to next place. Repeat with the Dogs.

Mark's funeral and one after another about 'What a good guy he was;' and he was all of that. I talked about him and Roy; brought the house down. After I don't think I've ever had that many hugs in my adult life. I'd obviously hit a nerve.

A good thing.