The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2014, 04:13 PM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How to Stay Safe in Bear Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrap View Post
The only .44mag +P+ loads BB makes is the 340gr hardcast. I have these I shoot out of my Colt Anaconda. It is very unpleasant to almost painful.

Btw, If in fact you are shooting the 340gr +P+ loads out of your S&W329 I would stop, immediately! They have a short list of pistols and rifles they ONLY recommend shooting this ammo out of and the 329pd isn't on that list. I'd hate to see your ruin a $1100 gun or worse get yourself hurt. Read for yourself.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...ct_detail&p=54

---------- Post added at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 AM ----------

When I'm in MT this summer I will have both my Bear Spray and my Colt Anaconda .44mag. The spray will be my first choice to pull then the Colt. For you bear spray people, keep in mind that if the wind is blowing any more than just a breeze the spray will not be nearly effective as it should. And you better hope the wind isn't blowing from the same direction the bear is charging from.
I eny you that Anaconda. I owned a Python and I still cant explain why I traded it. If you ever want to part company with that PMme.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:33 PM

wjl will become famous soon enough

I know there are a lot of sprays out there, what is the best?
Read the review and it is like anything else this one that one la la la
Was thinking about this one since it is on sale and gets good reviews.
I get it for total of $38 each with a cupon.
UDAP Magnum Bear Spray - Chest Holster, 9.2 fl.oz. - Save 15%
Old 06-26-2014, 06:50 PM

skrap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fq13 View Post
I eny you that Anaconda. I owned a Python and I still cant explain why I traded it. If you ever want to part company with that PMme.
You sold an Anaconda?!?! Don't you know one rarely feels good about ever selling a firearm. I had a S&W568 nickel 6" .357 I sold in college for $300 for beer money to a very wealthy fraternity brother. The next year he would take $500 for it when I wanted it back. Talk about regret! So, I will be holding my Anaconda. Or, you would be crazy to buy it from me for what I'd sell it for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjl View Post
I know there are a lot of sprays out there, what is the best?
Read the review and it is like anything else this one that one la la la
Was thinking about this one since it is on sale and gets good reviews.
I get it for total of $38 each with a cupon.
UDAP Magnum Bear Spray - Chest Holster, 9.2 fl.oz. - Save 15%

My wife got me the Counter Assault Bear Spray in 10.2 oz can. Seems to have the best specs out there.

Counter Assault - The Best in Bear Pepper Spray
Old 06-26-2014, 07:10 PM

roguebum is on a distinguished road

Every year I get to take a trip to Montana and fish some of the waterways up there. I carry a huge can of bear spray with me, but there is just something about it that doesn't foster too much confidence. I'm afraid that if I ever see a Grizzly, I will just drop a load in my shorts and run!

Yes... I know... that means I'm dead. But I'm hoping the load in my shorts will make him think I've already turned rotten and he won't eat me.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:22 PM

lil_ol_angler_me is a jewel in the roughlil_ol_angler_me is a jewel in the roughlil_ol_angler_me is a jewel in the roughlil_ol_angler_me is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebum View Post
Every year I get to take a trip to Montana and fish some of the waterways up there. I carry a huge can of bear spray with me, but there is just something about it that doesn't foster too much confidence. I'm afraid that if I ever see a Grizzly, I will just drop a load in my shorts and run!

Yes... I know... that means I'm dead. But I'm hoping the load in my shorts will make him think I've already turned rotten and he won't eat me.
just shoot your fishing partner in the leg, then you only have to outrun your partner and you are home free
Old 06-26-2014, 07:24 PM

roguebum is on a distinguished road

Partner? That would ruin the fishing!
Old 06-27-2014, 07:26 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Here is another good read on Bear Spray:
Does Bear Spray Work? | MidCurrent

Old 06-27-2014, 07:54 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Bears are thick as thieves here. Had a few encounters,,none bad,,,but once I did have to stand and wait while it got dark as one was milling around my vehicle when I returned. He finally moved off as it got pretty dark and I stepped rather briskly to the car and got loaded. Still, I think I was over reacting by being nervous. But when it starts getting too dark to see....................

There was the time two cubs ran by me while I was squirrel hunting,,and suddenly,,,there were cubs on one side and momma on the other............I thought for a second it 'might' be risky...momma was moaning up a storm and snapping her jaws....but finally she went out and around me to intercept her cubs.

We've had a couple times a solo bear has come in the back yard out of the woods...I put out food scraps for the foxes,coons,,etc,,and I guess that's been the reason for those visits.