The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2014, 10:15 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Nymphing vs. Snagging

Intentionally snagging fish (hooking them anywhere but inside the mouth) is illegal everywhere I fish.

In most cases, the law allows for unintentional snagging by saying you must release the fish immediately.

When nymphing, it seems I snag more fish than when dry fly fishing, wet fly fishing, using streamers or just about any other method. I suppose with C&R it's kind of a moot point, but still unsporting. In fact, hooking a fish in a fin probably does less damage than hooking it in the mouth.

I had a chance to see exactly what can happen while fishing in very clear water. There were several trout in a pool. One of the ones on the side of the pool away from me went after my nymph, but missed/refused. I tried to set the hook and hooked the next trout closer to me in the dorsal fin. I imagine something similar happens when you can't see what's going on while nymphing in a deep hole - you feel (no indicator) a tug, do a hook set, and you get a snagged fish.

Is this common? Do you snag more fish while nymphing than while doing something else?
Old 06-25-2014, 10:25 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Nymphing vs. Snagging

It definitely goes in spurts. I have days where 50% are foul hooks and other days zero.

If I am running a dry / dropper that is when I snag the most. I used to "worry" about why I am snagging but realized just what you said... Sort of out of my control.

Tell you what a "finned" brown trout on a 3wt in swift water really adds a little excitement though
trickpony likes this.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:32 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post

When nymphing, it seems I snag more fish than when dry fly fishing, wet fly fishing, using streamers or just about any other method. I suppose with C&R it's kind of a moot point, but still unsporting. In fact, hooking a fish in a fin probably does less damage than hooking it in the mouth.

Is this common? Do you snag more fish while nymphing than while doing something else?
I bet you are using a double nymph rig. When using TWO or more nymphs, the fish can take one nymph; and when you strike, it has let go but the other nymph hooks the fish. I don't snag many fish when using a single fly.

It also happens when fishing a dry dropper especially when the dropper tag is relatively short (6" or so)
mysticm, comeonavs and smilingduck like this.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 06-25-2014, 10:44 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
I bet you are using a double nymph rig. When using TWO or more nymphs, the fish can take one nymph; and when you strike, it has let go but the other nymph hooks the fish. I don't snag many fish when using a single fly.

It also happens when fishing a dry dropper especially when the dropper tag is relatively short (6" or so)
Makes sense. Except - I almost never use two nymphs. What I described is happening on a single fly in almost all cases.

To put some perspective on this, I'd say I snag 15-20% of the fish I land while nymphing.

Without an indicator (don't like them) I'm doing a lot of what turn out to be 'false' hooksets when I feel anything that seems odd at the rod tip.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:21 AM

trickpony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
It definitely goes in spurts. I have days where 50% are foul hooks and other days zero.

If I am running a dry / dropper that is when I snag the most. I used to "worry" about why I am snagging but realized just what you said... Sort of out of my control.

Tell you what a "finned" brown trout on a 3wt in swift water really adds a little excitement though
Haha - this is so true. Nothing is quite as good of a fight as a medium sized fish by the tail in a small stream. Even if you do feel a little bad pulling them up on shore...

That having been said - I used to snag a lot more fish nymphing a double rig - but I started putting a little more line (say, 12-18" even in shallow water) between my bugs and haven't had nearly as many problems.
comeonavs likes this.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:25 AM

scottyb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
This happened to me yesterday. Double nymph rig, landed a 16" rainbow and found the dropper midge in the trout's fin.

I figured it happened in the net because I have had a trout spit the hook in the net earlier this week. It makes sense what you described. that trout put up a heck of a fight!
Old 06-25-2014, 12:05 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Snagging happens. There's not much that can be done about it unless you become the perfect angler... And I bet you even Lefty snags a few still to this day... As long as its not in their gill plate I feel pretty confident in their survival... How many trout you caught that had a chunk taken out or talon marks on its body... Trout are a lot tougher than we give them credit for.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:29 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

I've snagged way more fish stripping streamers than nymphing.

CAB
Old 06-25-2014, 08:23 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Like silver said, it happens when I have a short dropper on.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:17 AM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

Regarding "nymphing only", I can honestly say I have never snagged a fish past at worst around the outside of their mouth (like those nasty eye snags).......No doubt I'm doing nymphing wrong, yet I don't use indicators, I watch for the line to suddenly be stopped and I very slightly lift my rod tip slowly.

Now that probably means I'm missing a lot of bites, those I catch outside yet around their mouth I suspect the fish has spit it out and my slight lift sets the hook.....In kind I tend to check my hook rather often to insure it is sharp (in that I know it bounces off the bottom). That pretty much means anything that picks it up is usually going to get hooked.

The so rare i don't include them snags to body or fin only happening when I begin to recast, yet never from just a drift or hook-set.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.