The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2010, 02:09 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of
Default Casting lesson completed

Had a nice 1 1/2 hour private casting lesson tonight. The instructor thought i would tire out my arm long before the lesson was over. However, i had an advantage. My blue collar job of swinging a stake hammer for the last 20 years has toned and strengthened my arm considerably. I could have kept going and was disappointed the lesson was over.

I wanted to get a good foundation of proper form and technique to get myself started off. It is my general opinion that one can read books and watch videos all day long but without someone there observing you, telling you where you are dropping your form or messing up your cast some how, you will make habits that are inefficient and detrimental to your over all success. I am very glad i had an instructor there because at first there was some significant flaws to my casting form that i don't think i would have picked up until someone actually pointed them out to me. By then i would have build up some serious muscle memory and had a hard time correcting.

My instructor was a Danish fellow, late 30s or so, who has been fishing with a fly rod since he was 6. I was left slack jawed watching some of his casts. Amazing stuff.

He said i did an excellent job and it left me excited to continue learning more and finer details. The next class i am going to sign up for is a 2 day crash course of 2 hours class time one night and 6 hours on the river. Should be fun. Until then i have a couple opportunities to practice some on the Deschutes while taking a bit of an rv vacation with the wife and young son. If i am lucky i might even get a fish! lol
Old 08-07-2010, 07:39 AM

oregonsteel has a spectacular aura aboutoregonsteel has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Casting lesson completed

Quote:
Originally Posted by vans View Post
Had a nice 1 1/2 hour private casting lesson tonight. The instructor thought i would tire out my arm long before the lesson was over. However, i had an advantage. My blue collar job of swinging a stake hammer for the last 20 years has toned and strengthened my arm considerably. I could have kept going and was disappointed the lesson was over.

I wanted to get a good foundation of proper form and technique to get myself started off. It is my general opinion that one can read books and watch videos all day long but without someone there observing you, telling you where you are dropping your form or messing up your cast some how, you will make habits that are inefficient and detrimental to your over all success. I am very glad i had an instructor there because at first there was some significant flaws to my casting form that i don't think i would have picked up until someone actually pointed them out to me. By then i would have build up some serious muscle memory and had a hard time correcting.
One big problem with learning on your own is that most people have thrown a baseball or football, and their casting stroke shows this. A big whallop!

Also smooth acceleration with a brisk STOP is not really a natural part of throwing a ball
Old 08-07-2010, 09:28 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

What you're doing is what I always suggest, get an instructor and get instant feedback.
One thing I feel strongly is that it is far better and easier to learn correct technique from the start than it is to break bad habits and re-train yourself.
With a foundation you're laying I expect to see you on the American Casting Association competition circuit soon!
Old 08-07-2010, 10:02 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light

I did the same thing last week - spent an hour with an FFF certified casting instructor. Being a self-taught fly fisherman, I was certain that my form was a mess. I was sure that I used too much wrist, dropped my backcast, and managed line like BP manages deep-sea oil rigs. The hour was enlighteneing and will pay incredible dividends over the course of my fishing career, which I hope to be many, many years.

Spend an hour. It will be worth it.

Sep
Old 08-07-2010, 10:26 AM

jamieof has a spectacular aura aboutjamieof has a spectacular aura aboutjamieof has a spectacular aura about

Well done vans, and well stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
What you're doing is what I always suggest, get an instructor and get instant feedback.
One thing I feel strongly is that it is far better and easier to learn correct technique from the start than it is to break bad habits and re-train yourself.
>>>>SNIP
I agree with Jackster.

While I've never had a casting lesson and wish I could around here from a pro, if I take what I experienced from golf lessons, it's the smartest thing you can do in this sport, or nearly any other.

Jamie.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:01 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Well, after checking with the better half to see what weekends i have free, i ended up calling the fly shop today to set up my registration for the next class i was looking at. They call it a crash course, one eve in the shop learning fishy, buggy and river stuff and then a day on the river getting wet. From the little i have researched on the web, it is a common class offered by shops.

I ended up talking to my instructor from Friday night. He told me that i excelled at our lesson and caught onto stuff real fast. Cant tell you how good that made me feel. Gave me hope i might land a fish sometime soon. lol

He suggested that i sign up for a different class as an option. Since i would end up going over some of the same stuff he suggested another private lesson. This one on the river in the morning, after an evening class. A bit more advanced. I was sorely tempted. Obviously it was significantly more cost. That wasnt the sole concern though.

As much as i like to think i am decent reading rivers from my years of bait casting for Steelhead and Chinook i know i am not as good as i like to think. I dont really know much about bugs either. So, i could really benefit from those aspects of the crash course. No reason i cant take him up on that private lesson after this class, that i know of.

As of now, i am set up for a three hour Wed night class on 9/8 and then six odd hours on the Clackamas river on 9/12. So, at this point just a few short days in, i am feeling really good about this and am really excited. Tomorrow after the wife and i run some errands i am hitting up the casting pond again for a couple hours.