The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2014, 03:24 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fly Prices to Rise

According to Davy Wotton, fly prices are on the way up.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by Hardyreels; 07-07-2014 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Sorry We Don't Allow Linking To Another Forum.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:55 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Prices to Rise

Silver: Davy is probably correct considering the world economy, makes me thankful that I tie my own, but like he said, even the material prices are creeping upward.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:59 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Well, it happens eventually. Look back at history. Japan used to produce products cheap. Now they're in the same situation that we are & can't afford to produce a lot of their own products. It's even happening in Korea & China to some extent. One of the "problems" with success & earning more. The more we get, the more we want.

Some of the countries in Africa still have cheap labor, but to much instability & unrest in many of them to risk investing. I remember exchanging emails with a fellow in Kenya back when I was tying commercially who indicated the government helped him get his tying business started to promote their economy. A lot of flies used to be tied in Kenya. Unfortunately, they don't have a lot of good resources as far as tying materials go, so everything has to be imported. Not sure what the situation there is now, but I'm sure there's a good reason fly companies moved operations to Thailand.

It's a cycle, no one works for low wages forever, not even in third world countries. Not a good sign for fly buyers, but perhaps good for the people in those countries who are now getting more for their time.

Same argument here about raising minimum wages. Sure, everyone wants to earn more, but in the end we all pay more for the products & services we get, because the more that's paid in wages, the higher prices need to be to make a profit. It's like a poker game, no one really wins in all of this, just the stakes get higher.

Sounds good to me, perhaps I'll go back to tying commercially when I retire!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 07-05-2014, 04:57 PM

waterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura aboutwaterfordcreek has a spectacular aura about

Meh,

I have rod/reel combo's that with line exceed $!200. I just cant stress the cost of flies.

3 beans for a fly....Im ok with it. Even $5.

I Tie most of my flies except for a chosen few. Those are always tied locally....
Old 07-05-2014, 05:10 PM

tail of the pool is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to tail of the pool

Glad I tie my own hummm second income maybe
mcnerney likes this.
I think I fish, in part, because it’s an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution. –John Gierach
Old 07-05-2014, 08:40 PM

oldnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rough

Well, one benefit being a newbe is, I totally went overboard buying flies this year. When I look at how many I've used and lost this year, I'll still be in flies up to my arse 5 years from now.

(Guess how many forever stamps I bought last year before the price hike?.....I might run out of flies before stamps. )

Well, I guess I made a good investment for a change.

Tight lines,

Joe
Old 07-05-2014, 11:41 PM

rickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the roughrickf is a jewel in the rough

After you purchase a good vice and a bunch of tying stuff ....... it will probably last you a lifetime!

I have so many flies, I'm sick of looking at them! LOL
Old 07-06-2014, 01:02 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

I tie most of mine and the ones I don't tend to be when on trips. When I buy flies, it's normally because I never have any use for the patterns on my home waters but are good for a particular place I'm visiting.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:49 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Guess I'm still on the 'lucky side of things.' Major sporting goods store here In Medford has dozens and dozens of different patterns (95% for trout). .99 each! Some of the really large patterns will run $1.25.

Tied my own for years but now its cheaper (at those figures) to just buy a few and be done with it. Good thing is its rare for me to actually loose a fly; happens but one a day would be about the worst of it.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:45 AM

skrap is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
After you purchase a good vice and a bunch of tying stuff ....... it will probably last you a lifetime!

I have so many flies, I'm sick of looking at them! LOL
Whatever ones your sick of looking at feel free to send my way.