The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2008, 04:47 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default waterproof Camera

Well after a lot of searching around & getting advise off of you guys I finally got a waterproof camera. I picked up the Pentax Optio W30 & now I feel I can wade free of that one worry. When the rivers drop to a wadable level I'll take some photos (hopefully of fish) & post them. Right now the rivers are running about 3 times normal flow so it might be a week or so.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:57 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: waterproof Camera

FISHN50,

Just curious since I'm also looking for a waterproof compact camera, how did you decide on the Pentax you got? As far as I've been able to tell, the only truly compact & waterproof (i.e., not requiring a case) cameras are the Pentax W series and the Olympus SW series.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:18 PM

zerolimit is on a distinguished road
Default Re: waterproof Camera

I think you will be very happy with the Pentax. I've got the Olympus. I think they really are the two choices until you get in to specialty cases for other cameras. Now just attach that sucker to a lanyard and you are worry free.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:25 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
FISHN50,

Just curious since I'm also looking for a waterproof compact camera, how did you decide on the Pentax you got? As far as I've been able to tell, the only truly compact & waterproof (i.e., not requiring a case) cameras are the Pentax W series and the Olympus SW series.
I picked the Pentax soley because it felt better in my hand. I have fairly large hands & the Pentax just felt a little more comfortable & easier for me to use one handed...... The Olympus has a shockproof feature & can go deeper than the Pentax if that matters to you. Both of the cameras were close in price & features so I don't think you can go wrong with either one
Old 03-12-2008, 10:34 AM

Kai is on a distinguished road

I've got the Olympus. I really like it.

Not a bad price either.

Amazon.com: Olympus Stylus 770SW 7.1MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom (Silver): Electronics
Old 03-12-2008, 10:40 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
I picked the Pentax soley because it felt better in my hand. I have fairly large hands & the Pentax just felt a little more comfortable & easier for me to use one handed...... The Olympus has a shockproof feature & can go deeper than the Pentax if that matters to you. Both of the cameras were close in price & features so I don't think you can go wrong with either one

I think what he was asking is, is it the 30W? The "W" being Waterproof.
I have the old Optio 43 WR (water resistant) that I can put under water for short periods. I had the Optio Si which was not waterproof, but DANG! I loved that camera. It slid off the deck of my Navigator and sat in water for quite a while and I didn't know it....now it's gone :-(
I got the Olympus stylus 730 to replace it, but it is not water proof either. Shock proof and WEATHER proof, but not water. I am not liking it much however, I miss the view finder.
I think the Pentax/Optio cameras are the most user friendly camera out there. I should have bit the bullet and bought one, but the Olympus had good reviews and was at a fantastic price. I guess I should have listen to myself however...."You get what you pay for"
The only problem I am seeing is to get a waterproof camera, you sacrifice some other cool feature. Like my Pentax Si and the 43wr were basically the same camera but the Si took much better pictures, specially the Macro.
I am thinking the Waterproof is not that big of an advantage (unless you have an accident). I had the Si for 3 yrs before this accident, plus most of the waters around here have a lot of algie so underwater photos would not be any good and the gin clear waters, the fish are not going to be around.

I just want a nice small camera, WITH A VIEW FINDER, that takes great macro. And is user friendly.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:34 PM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai View Post
I've got the Olympus. I really like it.
I can second this camera. Funny thing is I have a full frame digital SLR, but I actually use my little Olympus more in real life.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonStreams View Post
I can second this camera. Funny thing is I have a full frame digital SLR, but I actually use my little Olympus more in real life.
Wanna buy a semi used WATER RESISTANT camera LOL
Old 03-12-2008, 02:10 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Joni, good luck in finding a compact digital with a viewfinder. . . . they seem to be a thing of the past. The big problem I have with a non-waterproof camera good enough to be worth taking a picture of my mythical "catch of a lifetime" is that my preoccupation with keeping it dry distracts from other more important matters streamside.

Those of you who have looked at both the Pentax W and the Olympus SW series waterproof digitals, any impressions as to which has the smallest footprint?
Old 03-12-2008, 04:36 PM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Wanna buy a semi used WATER RESISTANT camera LOL
I know my Olympus is supposed to be waterproof, but I don't have the heart to try it purposely underwater. I have fallen in the water and it still works though I just like the peace of mind of taking it wading, kayaking and rafting without worrying about the darn camera getting wet. I do know some other folks who just stick their water resistant camera in a zip lock bag. I do stick my so called water resistant marine radio inside a waterproof pouch when I am kayaking on the ocean however. Occasionally I can rescue a wet camera, computer keyboard or cell phone by drying it out with a hair dryer and then magically they come to life latter.