"I Give Up...(almost)" Update

hangin chad

Reaction score
Howdy, folks.

After I said I was done with the long rod attempts and got so much encouragement here, I stuck around when I started to dust off my rusty tying skills. Read a post or five here, asked a question or two here and there...

End result was I figured out (thx to Silver Creek) that my old rods had too slow of an action to cast well.

I got a faster action budget rod, practiced a bit in the yard when the wind permitted in the evenings. That was still hit and miss with the WF6f.

Tonight I remembered my other fly reel had WF7F on it, and put that on. Then I remembered something I read about fly casting once that said you need to "accelerate to a stop".

Whole other world, suddenly! I haven't measured the actual distance, but I think I was casting at least 20' of fly line past the rod tip. And just picking it up for one backcast and casting again. Progress at last:D Nothing resembling accuracy, LOL, but a mostly straight line laying down at last!

I know I was still doing some things wrong: one of my knuckles hurt after that practice session, as did my shoulder. Tells me I was gripping the rod too hard, and probably putting too much arm movement into the operation, right?

Tomorrow or sometime this weekend I'll try a session starting with the 7wt reel and then switch out to the 6wt reel and see how that goes.

Sometime after that, I'll probably post a video for y'all to pick over and advise me on how to improve my technique. The wife says we have at least one camera capable of doing digital video and that she's willing to help out by being my camera crew for a few minutes one evening:cool:

lthrnk03

Reaction score
In my beginning days of learning to cast(not that I am an expert by any means) I struggled...I mean S-T-R-U-G-G-L-E-D to even get a roll cast to lay out nicely. Just like you, I had to remember the "accelerate to a stop". Once I got that down, things started to come together for me. Like you, I found that I had a death grip on the rod handle, this was especially true when I was on the water. The death grip did nothing but hinder my casting, once you get yourself to relax your hand, I bet that you will find things start to come together more fluidly for you and your casting will improve by leaps and bounds.

rickf

Reaction score
I just don't understand this casting thing! The very first time I picked up a fly rod, I could make a perfect cast every time!

Lefty can cast 60' without a rod ...... only fly line! LOL

I guess most of it is rod marketing hype? But I do have a $800 Helios?

I can cast just as well with a $19 Walmart cheapo glass as I can with a top shelf $800 rod.

If you look at the line while in the air, you can see what to do to make a perfect cast? Anyone with a IQ >80 should be able to cast after a couple tries.

smilingduck

Reaction score
When you practice always have a target to aim at when I lawn cast I just use my flip-flops as a target. Anything will work and practice in the wind it's always windy when you fish. You need to be able to make short accurate casts with wind from all directions. Don't hold the rod hard and practice for 20 min then take a break and think about what is and isn't working also just to calm yourself. Practice every day or as often as you can also try to cast on water and practice your roll cast.

I have been fly fishing for 25 years and I am going to casting practice for a few hours before work in the morning and it's still exciting. Once you can cast a little it gets so much more enjoyable.
Good luck!

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Chad, I'm glad you've stuck around, stuck with it & feel you're improving! All steps in the right direction! :thumbsup:

I'm excited for you! Fly casting is not as hard as we sometimes think it is. Sounds like you've had that revelation that, "Hey I can do this"! I'm betting you can too! :clap:

Thanks for updating your progress & for staying around as a member here! :D

We'll be looking forward to seeing your video & perhaps getting you a bit futher along & refined with your casting! ;)

busbus

Reaction score
Chad,

Way to go! We all knew you could do it. I stink horribly at casting but I do it well enough to fish. :biggrin:

No matter what some people think, it is not intuitive to everybody, especially when you are used to chunking a big, old lure on a spinning rig forever. Been there, done that, still learning.

Keep up the practice. I know I need to practice more. But don't forget to get on the water. It is much more fun to catch a fish than casting at a paper plate! Catching a fish makes you want to go back again...sort of like when you make that one good shot when you play golf: you remember those two or three good shots and you want to go play again.

ray

M

mridenour

I just don't understand this casting thing! The very first time I picked up a fly rod, I could make a perfect cast every time!

Lefty can cast 60' without a rod ...... only fly line! LOL

I guess most of it is rod marketing hype? But I do have a $800 Helios?

I can cast just as well with a $19 Walmart cheapo glass as I can with a top shelf $800 rod.

If you look at the line while in the air, you can see what to do to make a perfect cast? Anyone with a IQ >80 should be able to cast after a couple tries.
Do you use a spinning reel on it? I have NEVER seen anyone (not even Lefty) make a perfect cast every time. You are either the greatest natural caster the world has ever known or the biggest bag of BS.

Demeaning people as stupid that have trouble casting is really not necessary either. I should know better than to read your posts.

nc_cooter

Reaction score
I thought it was a, e, i, o, u. Or maybe e, i, e, i, o.
I was raised by my Grammar and she didn't teach me so good.
Mike

M

mridenour

BTW Chad, congratulations on improving your casting. Keep it up. I'm sure you are already better than I am!

oldnewguy

Reaction score
This may or may not be helpful...........................

To help get the timing right on my forward and back cast (which when wrong really screws things up :( ), I put a heavy split shot on the end of the leader. On each end of your casting stroke, you will feel a sharp tug which signals that the loop has straightened out and it's time for the start of the next cast. As more line goes out, the timing changes.......wait for the tug. It wasn't long before I could anticipate the "tug" and my casting really improved quickly.

Stick with it......it really gets to be fun! :)

Tight lines,

Joe

repperson29

Reaction score
[QU OTE=nc_cooter;686402]I thought it was a, e, i, o, u. Or maybe e, i, e, i, o.

I was raised by my Grammar and she didn't teach me so good.

Mike[/QUOTE]

Hell I don't know, I barely graduated high school. Rick has said in the past he's a CEO or something so I expect better out of him.

Ryan

Bigfly

Reaction score
Chad, if you want to get your cast on, give me a call.
You are close enough to me, not to try and learn on-line.
Learning this sport the hard way, is not recommended. (Although it can be done.)
Should take an hour.....

Jim

M

mridenour

Learning this sport the hard way, is not recommended. (Although it can be done.)
Should take an hour.....

Jim
Now that is an offer I wouldn't refuse!!!

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
Chad, you will come to enjoy casting so don't give up. I enjoy fooling with a fly rod so much, that if I'm a little stressed I'll go in the back yard and cast just because it relaxes me. Big enjoyment it is.

It's not something we are born knowing how to do, but you can,and will, get it down pard, so keep at it. And,,,I don't even have an IQ LOL

siege

Reaction score
Should take an hour.....

Jim
That's what I'm talking about. Generous offers like this are what makes this the best forum on the web.

Rep points and my respect sent your way.

Chad : You need to provide that beverages !

Bigfly

Reaction score
Thanks guys....
I can't tell you how many times an old guy has stepped out of the bushes, and offered a few helpful pointers.
Now, I'm that old guy......or at least getting there.....

Jim

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Although there have 'Reported Post' messages sent on one of the replies made in the thread I've decided to let it ride as an example of how not to reply..............

Chad I think that Jim has made you a great offer and I'm pretty sure you'll like him :)

Ard

hangin chad

Reaction score
Once again, this community steps up with (mostly) support.

Thanks to all who had positive comments. I think I put Likes up for every one of those. I reported one post I felt inappropriate to the vibe I've generally received from this community to the mods and took no action on one other.

I'll provide further updates, and probably ask questions in appropriate threads, as I continue to progress.

Current plan is to practice a minimum of 10 casts per night *regardless of wind* with each arm, as long as the wind isn't so strong it throws my fly line back in my face. Left hand doesn't seem to have that "death grip" issue at first check.

More tips will be welcome.

Apparent trolls will be reported or ignored, or both. I grew up around cattle country, I've seen that stuff before.

If anyone needs a more "earthy" translation of that last statement, please PM me. I'll be more than happy to tell you what it translates to in regard to trolls.