The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2010, 06:46 PM

ssjchar is on a distinguished road
Default outcast fishcat and fatcat, big differences between them?

I'm looking to buy a float tube, either an outcast fatcat or fishcat. There seems to be around a $100 difference between the fishcat deluxe and super fatcat, but what are the main differences between them, and is the super fatcat that much better than the fishcat deluxe?
Old 08-07-2010, 07:54 PM

michaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: outcast fishcat and fatcat, big differences between them?

The fatcat is quite a bit bigger. That gives it more flotation and you ride a little higher out of the water. It also has a urethane bladder, but it only has one inflation valve. It's a nicer vessel, all things considered, especially if you weigh over 200 lbs.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:07 PM

mmm, ya being higher on the water is something i would like, though if its only a bit higher i'm not sure if it'd make too much of a difference.
I'm probably 138 with all my gear on(i'm a small dude), so i probably won't have to worry much about staying buoyant. would the increase in surface area make the fatcat harder to move around? maybe not by much?
Old 08-07-2010, 08:14 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

But if you really want to get a kick a$$ tube, look at a NFO Escape. Oars, side bags, gets 99% of your butt out of the water, light weight and has the capability to install a trolling motor on it. Bladderless, welded seams, and not that much more than a SFC. And unlike the Fat Cat and Super Fat Cat and Fish Cat and the others it's made in the USA.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:12 PM

ya i saw that escape on the internet just today. the price is too high for me, and i'm also in canada so shipping would probably be high high. i did find a used fishcat deluxe locally though i'm trying to talk the price down ($250 with pump and fins, so not much cheaper than new)

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

so i can get the 1-year old fishcat deluxe, outcast pump and brand new amphibi-fins for $225. good buy?
Old 08-08-2010, 11:41 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjchar View Post
so i can get the 1-year old fishcat deluxe, outcast pump and brand new amphibi-fins for $225. good buy?
Considering a new boat will cost $265, that is a good buy. The guy probably invested over $300 in it.

MP
Old 08-09-2010, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjchar View Post
ya i saw that escape on the internet just today. the price is too high for me, and i'm also in canada so shipping would probably be high high. i did find a used fishcat deluxe locally though i'm trying to talk the price down ($250 with pump and fins, so not much cheaper than new)

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

I think you'd be well served by a Fish Cat. I weigh 240 and my butt was above the water line in mine. It had enough room for my butt, so you should have more than enough. The Fat Cat's larger size would just help you get blown around in the wind.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:23 PM

thanks for the reply guys. i ended up buying the set up. turns out the guy is a co-member of the local fly fishing club so we chatted up a bit too after i bought it. I enflated it up in my basement and gave it a sitting and it should do juuuust fine. Even though my rod is out of commission, i might have to take the float tube out this weekend and give it a go. Maybe cruise around the ladies shore fishing and give them the ol' wink'n gun fingers.