The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2014, 11:26 AM

think trout is on a distinguished road
Default Tippet Ring Knot

What is the best knot for connecting tippet rings?
Old 08-21-2014, 11:28 AM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Tippet Ring Knot

I just use a clinch knot with mine.
repperson29 likes this.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:49 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Use the same knot that you use to tie the tippet to the fly. I happen to use the Orvis knot.

Orvis Knot | How to tie the Orvis Knot | Fishing Knots

When you use the same knot to tie tippet to tippet ring and tippet to fly, both knots will have about the same breaking strength.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-21-2014, 11:58 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Clinch knot on both ring and fly

The only thing I do different with tippet rings, and I will get it out of the way because it could be the dumbest theory ever.

If I plan on using 6x tippet, I will either cut a 6x leader back to the thicker diameter leader say where it is comparable to 4 or 5x, attach my tippet ring and then add the 6x on. Or I just go 5x tapered leader to tippet ring, then 6x tippet. Theory is if I snag I am certain my 6x after the ring will snap before the 5x proceeding the tippet ring.

Seems to work

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 08-21-2014, 12:01 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Use the same knot that you use to tie the tippet to the fly. I happen to use the Orvis knot.

Orvis Knot | How to tie the Orvis Knot | Fishing Knots

When you use the same knot to tie tippet to tippet ring and tippet to fly, both knots will have about the same breaking strength.
I agree. For the size of trout I chase, a simple Davy knot on both ends of the tippet works for me.
ponycarman likes this.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:06 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

I go back and forth between a double Davy and a clinch knot.

If I'm tying it at home, it's a clinch knot. On the water it's a double Davy.
ponycarman likes this.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:27 PM

ponycarman has a spectacular aura aboutponycarman has a spectacular aura aboutponycarman has a spectacular aura about

Haven't used a tippet ring yet but I did give the double davy knot a try last fishing trip. It did great. I was using a Palomar knot before and was wasting alot of tippet with my knots. The double davy wasted alot less and was at least just as strong. It was easy to tie and didn't have one break all day. Held up to a few fish and many snags. Also pulled lots of lilly pad and weeds out just fine. It was much easier for me to tie that a clinch knot.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:25 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold

I speak to many fly fishers, new and seasoned. I often tell them to use the same knot they tie their fly on with. If familiar with the clinch, that is what I recommend. As mentioned above, it it holds your fly, it will hold the ring.
gfirob likes this.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 08-21-2014, 02:13 PM

tex will become famous soon enough

a little off topic but I have to ask. Is there a benefit of the tippet ring over a loop-loop connection between tippet and leader?
Old 08-21-2014, 02:38 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

There was a discussion about this a short while back:

Tippet rings or perfection loop?