The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bobnlyd
  • 1 Post By bobnlyd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2014, 04:07 PM

bobnlyd is on a distinguished road
Default vintage rod n reel

hi all

new to your forum and had a simple question. was looking for some info on an old flyrod my dad left me. its a split bamboo rod that is a fly rod and a spin rod combo. the but of the rod reverses for the change. the only name on it is champion. i recall him telling me he got it from japan while in the navy (mid 50s)
also have a pemco automatic reel no 55.
was looking to do some type of mount/display with a trout for it and to hand down to my grandson some day...any info would be great...thanks much...bob
siege likes this.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:20 PM

oldnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: vintage rod n reel

I really can't help you but welcome to the forum.

Give this a little time and my bet is someone here will be able to give you the info you need.

Tight lines,

Joe
Old 08-23-2014, 06:12 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know a single thing about automatic reels, but those rods...
They're not worth much at all. Maybe 40 bucks or so in "as-new" condition. ?
There's SO MANY of them out there and they weren't exactly high-end to begin with.
Sorry
Old 08-23-2014, 07:47 PM

wasnt worried about $ as much as info on them...a history to it...seemed a littil unusual to have a combo rod from that era...but thanks..everything helps
Old 08-23-2014, 08:24 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Pemco was one of many names used by Perrine manufacturing. They were in business for over 50 years. Many hardware stores sold rods and reels in the 50s and 60s. The green #55 was a popular reel, available everywhere, and many are still in use today, possibly because they are a bit heavier than reels that don't contain a clock spring mechanism, so they balance bamboo rods pretty well.
The combo may have come from a PX on base overseas, since it was made in the USA.
Use it and enjoy it, or hang it up for the grand kids.Either way, it's a conversation starter, and a nice heirloom.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:09 PM

very cool thanks...the display i was thinking about making is more a conversation/sentimental item...man cave stuff...have some old guns and such
siege likes this.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:49 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

Well, now that you have joined the forum, stick around. Ask question, post comments, and enjoy some new friends.
Take a minute to fill out your user profile, or at least load your location. It helps custom tailor info for you, and you never know, might be some members in your general vicinity.
Glad to have you join us !

Last edited by siege; 08-24-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:36 PM

will do and thanks