The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2014, 01:26 AM

l7w_fly is on a distinguished road
Post Redington CT Extension Post

I sincerely hope that I will be able to add as much back into the forum as you all have added to my experience here and ultimately my birth into fly fishing. I have come into quite a conundrum and once again could use a little insight.

Here is my gear list : Echo Ion 4/5 with brand new 6WT line. Plfueger Medalist 1494 1/2 that needs line. An 8'6 Rod that was given to me and says OUTFITTERS 96 Custom Graphite 5-6wt which is possibly from the same time frame as the medalist 1494 1/2, I'm not sure. Maybe you will recognize it. It has a graphite reel seat and the only metal hardware on the thing are the guide feet.

Please bare with me, I have come a long way with this so far and had a couple more points I wanted to touch base on. As was recommended, I can throw the 6wt line on my medalist that needs line and pick up some 4 or 5 wt line for the Ion and match it with the Redington Classic Trout that I will be picking up here quite soon.

Here is the question, Do I go with the 8'6 4wt or the 8'6 5wt. Since I will already have the 6wt setup, granted it is a cheapie rod, I do have a 6wt maybe the 4wt would make more sense. That way I would have a 4wt and a 6wt instead of a 4 and 5wt. I just picked up some Rio Gold WF5 for just under $20 which is a steal, but can return it for the 4wt if I choose that Rod.

I fish all smaller streams and rivers ie. Kern River, GTW, Eastern Sierras, Mcgee Creek, Biship Creek,Owen's, and the Blackfoot in MT. Not the over-glorified, grossly romanticized and dirtied larger portion south of the bridge, but up where it the water tends to stay shallower and pools closer to the banks during the season I fish it at least. I'm not sure what it will look like this year as the water level is much healthier than it has been in the past. Mostly Upper Blackfoot where the river has the potential to be around 10ft across, but is only about 25-50 feet across and shallow with most of the fishing along the banks and deeper channels.

I don't fare well in the wind yet, although I would not want to base my decision off making the learning curve easier because I am more in this for the long haul where i'd like a setup I can use for the duration of the warranty if you catch my drift.

Thanks a ton everyone, y'all are the best.

Matthew
Old 08-24-2014, 10:18 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Redington CT Extension Post

For the waters you're fishing, I'd go with the 5wt. Not only is wind an issue on most of them, but if you want to nymph you'll need the extra backbone.

The CT is a wonderful dry fly or dry/dropper stick, but doesn't do as well with a bobber, a couple of bead heads and a bit of shot. I'd get the 5 wt now and look for a 9' or longer 4wt with a bit faster action as a nymph rod when you have the resources. $.02 worth

Mike
Old 08-24-2014, 11:59 AM

l7w_fly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Redington CT Extension Post

Solid Mike, that's makes the most sense. Especially because the 6wt rod I have is not exactly one I want to base my future arsenal off of. I'll have a solid all around rod this way and if it so happens that I move or am able to fish all sorts of creeks and streams more often, I can look for another weight then if the 5wt is inadequate.

Much thanks

Matt