The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2014, 10:04 AM

think trout is on a distinguished road
Default Small stream rod

I would like some opinions on what size of fly rod I would need for small steam trout fishing. The trout will average 10 to 14 inches, but there is a possibility I could hook one in the 10 pound class. The streams are only 5 to 10 feet wide.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:09 AM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Small stream rod

That's a big range on size. Considering the stream size and the 10 pound size, I'd go for a 4 weight. Good luck since I know for myself it's a coin toss on rod selection in many streams.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:30 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

I would get a rod that will let whatever your average fish is show off. If 90% of your fish are 10" with the occasional behemoth, buy a light rod that will make them fun. If you lose the big one so what? As to rods Cabelas makes a series called the TQR which stands for tight quarters rod. These are short fast rods. They go for about $100. TFO makes the finesse series which are also geared for small streams and there is the Echo carbon series, both for under two bills. I would go with a 3 or 4 wt or maybe even a 2 depending on what size fly you are throwing. A 4 wt is a good all arounder and a 2 or 3 makes small fish fun. Good luck.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:16 PM

oldnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rough

I love my 8' 4wt in waters you describe. I've hooked some 4+ pounders with it and it can handle it just fine.

Have fun!

Tight lines,

Joe
fireroad likes this.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:23 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

I prefer short and slow. A slow rod helps when I'm kneeling in the bushes, or behind a rock, casting mostly leader. My favorite is a 7'6" 3 wt Superfine. Next up is my 7'9" 5wt Superfine. The 5 wt is my all around favorite, but the 3wt is the one for the tiny brooks and the trout named after them.
pheldozer likes this.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:24 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

I prefer a medium fast action rod like the St Croix Imperial, very good rod at an affordable price. I use a 7'6" 4wt for the waters you describe. This particular model flexes much deeper into the butt section so it feels more medium than fast, but still has a bit of backbone to it. If you go this route, you want a true to weight line on it versus a half size heavy.

What is your price range and preferred rod action?

A Redington CT is another very good and affordable choice in a similarly sized 4 weight. It is a much softer rod though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
itchmesir likes this.

--Irish Blessing
Old 08-24-2014, 02:34 PM

rfb700 is on a distinguished road

Depends on conditions on your stream. My small stream is heavily overgrown so I fish a 6'6" St Croix Avid 4 weight . Works well for me.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:48 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

St Croix Imperial 7'6 4wt or Redington CT 8' 3wt... Both can do it all on the small streams here in the driftless... IMHO the Imperial shines with a wf4f gpx line... A half heavy line but I do like slower action to my rods
ted4887 and ts47 like this.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:34 PM

2rjs is on a distinguished road

I will also give an endorsement to the Imperials. They are fantastic rods! I'd look at either the 7'6 or 8' in a 4wt.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:36 PM

fox is on a distinguished road

Get you a Eagle Claw 7' glass rod from Walmart for $21 and see what you think of it. Probably the best you can do is just find something cheap or borrowed and use it. See what you like through experience.
itchmesir likes this.