The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2014, 04:44 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light
Default Still goin' strong at 83!

On our recent family vacation trip (typical family reunion camping trip), my 83 year old Dad makes an offhand comment that he wasn't sure he was going to make the one for next year.

It seems he's decided that two weeks of camping and fishing next year is the ticket instead. He's got me researching lakes, campgrounds, fishing reports, etc. He's not a flyfisherman himself, but I'll get a chance to break out the long rod at some point.
imxer, Flywgn, mcnerney and 4 others like this.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:46 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Still goin' strong at 83!

Go for that one and start making plans with him for it.
fredaevans and rockthief like this.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:59 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Absolutely! He's hard core and already cracking the whip to get me on the internet.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:59 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like a winner to me !
Old 08-24-2014, 05:47 PM

siege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant futuresiege has a brilliant future

83 ? Thanks !! That's the first thing that's made me feel young in quite a while
Keep dad involved, get him to buy into the plans. Is there a place he'd like to fish, or just visit, on his bucket list ?
See where he may be thinking about, and why....
Good luck with the planning, and let us know where the trip will take you !
Old 08-24-2014, 06:06 PM

smilingduck has a spectacular aura aboutsmilingduck has a spectacular aura aboutsmilingduck has a spectacular aura about

I would take him to Henry's Lake in Idaho. You can both fish for trophy trout any way you like! It's a great place to wet a line and lots of camping and other fishing lakes and rivers close by!
Flywgn, mcnerney and siege like this.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:11 PM

ts47 has a spectacular aura aboutts47 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
I like this idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
mcnerney and fredaevans like this.

--Irish Blessing
Old 08-25-2014, 09:44 AM

coloradowalt is on a distinguished road

Dad is 82. We are planning a return trip for a week of camping in the Southwest Montana area fall 2015. BTW, he dropped a whitetail last fall at 110 yards. I hope I am just like him at that age. After watching him I believe the secret is to never stop doing stuff. Inactivity is the enemy.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
Keep dad involved, get him to buy into the plans. Is there a place he'd like to fish, or just visit, on his bucket list ?
My father is the type who's absolutely gung-ho about fishing trips. We're looking at a few lakes in SE Kansas, maybe Table Rock in Missouri. He likes the Kansas idea because he doesn't need to buy a fishing license as a resident.

He hasn't actually said it, but the one requirement I'm sure is that the lake be far enough away that it means the non-fishing relatives won't show up in camp. He doesn't like to be sitting around a picnic table when he could be in a boat (unless it's emptying my wallet in a game of cards. )
Old 08-25-2014, 09:49 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by siege View Post
83 ? Thanks !! That's the first thing that's made me feel young in quite a while
Good luck with the planning, and let us know where the trip will take you !
+1 for what Siege said, it would be great to check something off on Dad's bucket list, if possible.
siege and oldnewguy like this.