The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By yikes
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide
  • 1 Post By fq13
  • 1 Post By wf10f
  • 1 Post By fq13

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2014, 11:48 PM

ponycarman has a spectacular aura aboutponycarman has a spectacular aura aboutponycarman has a spectacular aura about
Default A little help on my first self built outfit

I wasn't too sure where to put this but here goes. I'm in the middle of trying to collect components for my first self put together fly outfit. I picked up my redington classic trout 3wt the other day. Super nice rod by the way. Wasn't too sure on the reel but I snagged an okuma sierra off ebay. Might not be a perfect reel but it will get me fishing with it. The plan is to replace it later with a better reel and use the okuma on a cheaper beat around outfit to keep in the work vehicle. Perhaps a featherlight.

I've got the rod and ordered the reel so now the line. I'm thinking about using the hook and hackle classic high floater in double taper. Unless there is something better at a comparable price? It is sorta a budget build but I don't mind a little extra to add better quality. I'm assuming the backing brand doesn't really matter? Also how do you know how much backing to put on the line? Are fly lines pretty much the same length? I think I know how to set it all up when everything comes together. Just been brainstorming about these questions all day haha.

Thanks for all the info and help y'all have given me already.
Mark
Old 08-25-2014, 01:06 AM

yikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really nice
Default Re: A little help on my first self built outfit

I have the Redington CT 3 wt 7'-6" as well, and I'm really pleased. I bought Redington's matching reel, figuring it would balance nicely. I have the Rio LT WF on it. After 9 months, here's my thoughts:
1. The reel was overkill, and for an outfit this small, balance is probably not critical. I could've gone much less expensive for a little more weight, say Cabela's Wind River II for $25.
2. If I were to pay $99 for a reel for the 3 wt. again, I would look instead to Orvis. As a newbie, I thought the ability to adjust the click-and-pawl drag from the outside made the Redington reel a better choice. It turns out to be irrelevant: I use the lowest drag setting, and for the kind of fish you catch on a 3 wt., you control the drag with your hand, if at all. The Orvis reel (I think it's called Battenkill) appears to have a better fit and finish.
3. Backing: your backing will likely never see the light of day. Again, the 3 wt. is great on small streams and close quarters. I doubt you will cast more than 25' in most situations, and the pools you fish may be small. My local fly shop maxed out the backing and fly line, and since my reel is a small arbor, I have to be careful not to have it bind when I'm winding in the last few feet. See #4 below
4. Line: The Rio Trout LT is fine in terms of function, however, it did not come with a built-in loop at the end, and I regret this. The local fly shop did a good job of adding a nail knot and 6" leader w/ loop, but all of this gets easily caught in the rod guides when you first pull out line. My rod is only 7'-6" long (for fishing overgrown areas), but if you are using a 9' leader, the first few feet of leader are in your guides, and the knots will grab on the way out. Also, the nail knot makes a bigger bump that can hit the frame of the small-arbor reel unless I was really careful to wind it in evenly. Do yourself a favor and get a fly line with a built-in loop for leader.
5. Leader: for small stream fishing, I've become a fan of short (54") furled leaders with a tippet ring. On the small arbor reel, there's much less memory curl than with a mono leader.

That's my 2 cents, but to each their own.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:25 AM

ponycarman has a spectacular aura aboutponycarman has a spectacular aura aboutponycarman has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the info and advice!
Old 08-25-2014, 06:55 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The line from Hook&Hackle is good quality at a good price
You won't be sorry
ponycarman likes this.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:57 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Good choice on the rod $$ for $$ it is damn hard to beat a CT. I own two in 3 and 5 wt. Both are great. The Okuma reel is heavy but solid. It has a decent drag and will do fine. Backing? Seriously? You will never see it on a 3 wt. It is there to keep the fly line from geeting kinked up wrapped around the spool. Buy some el cheapo 20# dacron and call it a day. It sounds like a nice rig, have fun with it!
ponycarman likes this.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:55 AM

Thanks guys! I'm sure I won't be using the backing but I guess I know its supposed to be there. Just wasn't sure how much. I have never seen the backing on my 5wt lol. I don't think I've even had enough line out to see the smaller running line of the wf line lol.

I'm sure I'm probably over thinking it all. I just want to get it right haha.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:29 AM

wf10f is on a distinguished road

I don't see that anyone answered your question about backing. It's easy to get back right, especially with a DT. Put your fly line on the reel, then attach the backing with a simple slip knot and get it started. Wind it on until you have what you want and make sure you have some clearance for knots and loops and uneven winding. At least an 1/8" below spool lip.

Then the simplest way is to reel the backing onto another reel or wind it on a notched stick if you have to. Walk around your floor and lay the fly line out. Put the backing on, tie the backing to the line with a Uni-Knot, and wind fly line on. It should now be about perfect.

I also like furled leaders but rather than add a loop like yikes I bend the line back on itself, shave a little surface off the line, and whip a loop into the end with a couple of Uni-Knots and tippet material around 4# test. Make your own loop and it's tight and compact. If I plan to keep the same furled leader on the line for some time I'll just Uni-Knot it to the end of the line and you have almost no resistance sliding thru the guides.
ponycarman likes this.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:38 AM

Sweet thanks! That really cleared it up. Great info. I was totally over thinking haha.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:44 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

Another way to measure, or I guess estimate is this. Take your shiny new fly line still rolled up and press it against the spool ( both sides of the rolled line). Not too hard, but with moderate pressure. The gap you see is about the amount of room you have for backing. Spooling the fly line first is more accurate, but the press and eyeball it works if you are too lazy to spool and unspool a line three times (and I am guilty of that). Honestly the only time I really care about getting the right amount of backing is on my 8 and 10 weights where I am fishing for tarpon and might actually use it. Otherwise its not a big deal. I just want some on there to protect the line from getting kinked. But for bass and snook I can think of only a few times where they have taken off 90' of fly line and gotten me into the backing. For trout the score is zero. Don't sweat the backing on a 3 weight. When you buy a 12 we can talk about braid vs dacron, butfor a 3? Who cares? Anything will do. Just go fishing and have fun. You will love that CT 3 wt, it is easily my favorite rod and I own Loomis, Orvis and Sage. Reddington had the stars alingned when they built that stick.
ponycarman likes this.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:27 PM

Sweet thanks! I really can't wait to get it together and fish it. The 5wt is fun but I can't wait to see what the pull of a fish on this rod feels like haha. Then I can move on to dream for a glass rod