The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2014, 07:05 AM

bdk is on a distinguished road
Default Airlines and fly rods

Hey guys new to the forum, had a question I plan on making a trip to Montana and I plan on carrying on my fly rod and reels . Just curious what yall use to store them . Iv been looking at getting the Umqua Deadline 3500 Wet Dry Duffel, or one of the Orvis safe passage carry it all units .
I have so many back packs that I cant use so kinda makes me think about the duffel but I really like it . Never flown with any gear . Or really flown in a large passanger plane
Thanks
Old 08-29-2014, 07:40 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Airlines and fly rods

I just flew to and from Missoula. Carried on my rods and reels and few miscellanea with an Orvis Safe Passage Carry-it-all case. I love it.

Click the image to open in full size.

Mike
noreaster, ts47 and clay tonian like this.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:42 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

All my rods are in rod/reel tubes. I carry those on and its not been a problem.
Joey Bagels likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 08-29-2014, 08:17 AM

pjcalla has a spectacular aura aboutpjcalla has a spectacular aura about

I strap my rod tubes to my carry-on backpack with the compression straps. I put my reels, line, flies, nippers, forceps, etc. in my sling which is then stuffed into my carry-on. Never any issues.
Joey Bagels likes this.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:55 AM

So you dont have problems carrying flies and forceps and such ?
Old 08-29-2014, 09:06 AM

clay tonian will become famous soon enough

first of all...Delta sucks. just wanted to get that out of the way. I check my wet/dry duffel bag loaded with all 5 rods/reels/waders/boots, etc. It usaully weighs about 0.5 gram more than maximum allowable. I carry on a large soft-sided cooler with cpap and other various items. The rods are all in tubes and add rigidity to my duffel. I line the bottom with them.

This is probably not the best plan and I'm eager to hear other ideas. I like the carry on rod thing although I take at least 5 rods...is that too much for carry on?

Delta sucks, btw...

---------- Post added at 08:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sep View Post
I just flew to and from Missoula. Carried on my rods and reels and few miscellanea with an Orvis Safe Passage Carry-it-all case. I love it.

Click the image to open in full size.

Mike
Mike,
You check the duffel, right? Where are your boots?
Old 08-29-2014, 09:13 AM

pjcalla has a spectacular aura aboutpjcalla has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdk View Post
So you dont have problems carrying flies and forceps and such ?
Nope. Not even a blink. I would make sure you're not carrying a knife. Indy, Miami, Denver and Missoula are the airports that I've been in/out. I called the airline directly before to make sure, so you may want to check to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay tonian View Post
first of all...Delta sucks. just wanted to get that out of the way. I check my wet/dry duffel bag loaded with all 5 rods/reels/waders/boots, etc. It usaully weighs about 0.5 gram more than maximum allowable. I carry on a large soft-sided cooler with cpap and other various items. The rods are all in tubes and add rigidity to my duffel. I line the bottom with them.

This is probably not the best plan and I'm eager to hear other ideas. I like the carry on rod thing although I take at least 5 rods...is that too much for carry on?

Delta sucks, btw...

---------- Post added at 08:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 AM ----------

Mike,
You check the duffel, right? Where are your boots?
I've carried 3 in separate tubes with no problems. If you have two, two rod tubes and a single, they probably won't blink an eye. Hell, my buddy carried on a two piece 9' rod tube. They stowed it in the front of the plane (flight attendant storage) for him. People carry guitars on all the time, so I don't think you'll have a problem.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:40 AM

labradorguy is a name known to alllabradorguy is a name known to alllabradorguy is a name known to alllabradorguy is a name known to alllabradorguy is a name known to alllabradorguy is a name known to all

Welcome to the world of commercial aviation. You are in for such a treat....

Flying with your fishing gear is no problem. At least it isn't for me... I work as an explosives engineer and I travel a fair amount. Usually, after I'm checked out for setting off every buzzer known to man due to the explosives residue that tends to work it's way around boot tongues and under laptop keyboards, they just roll their eyes at all my fishing gear and tell me to get out of the way.

Two rules to remember:

1. I try to keep as much gear with me as possible so it's never out of my sight. I've lost count of how many times I've showed up at my destination and had no bags at the luggage claim.

2. Don't ever leave an expensive pair of polarized sunglasses in your checked luggage, not even a backup pair. It seems in most third world places, these are the first things lifted from checked bags and there is basically no recourse once they are gone. (There is one, but it's made to be such a hassle that it's almost impossible to do.)

My Gregory backpack works fine for getting my gear around. Two rods per tube slipped under the compression straps and then I fill the pack with whatever.

PS- He's right, Delta does suck. In this day and age, all North American carriers suck.
troutn likes this.
"In Heaven the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, and the women are Italian. In Hell the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, and the women are Italian...."
Old 08-29-2014, 09:45 AM

yikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to beholdyikes is a splendid one to behold

I flew last week on Allegiant into Medford. My slingpack which I brought onto the plane had nippers, foreceps, hooks, etc., and was no problem with TSA. (The nippers were not fingernail clippers with a knife-like file; just plain ol' $6 fishing nippers.). I threw my floatant bottle and sunscreen and insect repellant in the same baggie as my shampoo bottle, etc.

BTW if you are on Allegiant they have low basic fares but they charge you for just about everything else, including a glass of water. They charge for carry-on size luggage as well as checked baggage. They would probably try and charge you for a rod tube.

They will allow the following on the plane at no additional charge:
- one small daypack / briefcase/ purse/ etc.
- a coat
- a snack and drink (assuming you got the drink after TSA screening)
- an umbrella

I thought of tweaking them by taking my rod tube and adding some sticks and cloth to call it my "umbrella".
Old 08-29-2014, 10:18 AM

So Labradorguy . I have a gregory 65 I was thinking of bringing that as my carry on but did not know if it would be to large .
Clay Tonian why does delta suck that is one of the flights im looking due to it being the cheapest

---------- Post added at 09:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 AM ----------

I need to reaserch more haha .