The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2008, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: battenkill mid arbor

Hi Matt,

The MA-III would not be a good choice for Steelhead. I would buy the MA-IV. You can use the IV with a 7wt or 8wt. If you just have to have the III you can use Gel-Spun backing to get more backing on the reel.

Frank
Old 03-17-2008, 07:16 AM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

GeorgeMcFly,

The BLA III will handle steelhead in the water you describe, but the BLA IV would be a better pick. The larger backing capacity could come in handy at another place, but the bigger advantage is just the little bit overall larger size of the reel. In cold weather you'll appreciate the how easier it is to manipulate things that are just a bit bigger.

As Frank mentioned, if the BLA III is a must have, then you could go to gel spun backing or one of the braids, like Cortland's Masterbraid, but the extra expense of the backing would probably bring you to the BLA IV price anyway.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:30 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

thanks so the mid arbor IV is the way to go? I will just spend the extra 20 I guess what the heck. I won't be cheap for once. lol hurry someone take a picture of this or something haha

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:19 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

just got it! woo hoo! exciting!!!! got the IV model. most I ever spent before on a reel and the most I ever will spend again haha. this should be a sticky. the cheapest fly fisher of all georgemcfly drops money on something decent! haha. jk. well hope I like it!

Old 03-18-2008, 02:10 AM

FlyChick is on a distinguished road

Just wondering why the "color" titanium is important? OR are you looking for an actual titanium reel? Maybe I should read more catalogs.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:26 AM

well basically I want it to match the custom rod I am having built. usually I am for a stealth look with black reels but since I am having this rod built for looks and for fishing this should match the aw13 window reel seat thats titanium with a black woven graphite insert I am having installed on it. also the butt section of the rod is black woven graphite also for about 30 inches and it will have black and silver wraps. I am just trying to match the rod. theres no other reason.. it does look sharp tho.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:50 PM

here is the reel seat I picked for the custom rod. its the one in the middle. AW13 Window Fly Seats
this is one reason why I got titanium color instead of black. think it will look good?

Old 03-18-2008, 03:46 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

That looks fine for a 7wt. At least you didn't make the blunder that I did
with a reel seat: bought a nice walnut reel seat insert with gold hardware
for an SCII blank a couple years ago. You know what matches gold hardware? Nothing, but black .
I just sold my last black reel (good reel) without thinking. Oh well.....

How's that TFO outfit????
Old 03-18-2008, 06:29 PM

that sux frankb. black is all I have had up until this point. wouldn't the gold color battenkill match gold hardware? I seen a couple gold reels on my "epic" quest to find the right reel for my rod.. haha.

hey guys just curiuous whats a good line to get for this setup? I am gonna mostly be nymphing for steelhead and casting some buggers and clousers with this rod for steelhead and maybe some bass. I was suggested rio line on another site but have seen different ones. also seen the SA air cell too. what do you guys recommend??

Old 03-18-2008, 06:52 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

You definitely want a cold water line. The brand isn't as important as each brand will have its friends and foes.