The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2008, 08:20 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default Re: battenkill mid arbor

. I wasn't expecting it to come either cause the mail lady came and didn't bring it. later that day it came ups. its pretty shiny. hopefully my new "bling" will not scare all the fish away. no line yet. I still have to wait a few weeks to get the rod done so I am in no hurry. I will keep my eye out for something. I am leaning torwards the SA mastery series or rio steelhead line or something to that nature that stays soft in colder waters.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:54 AM

FlyChick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly View Post
got the battenkill mid arbor IV in the mail today. its awesome!
Wow, gorgeous!!! I understand about the titanium color now. Nice job.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:34 AM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

Click the image to open in full size.

What's wrong with this reel? Large arbor, super light!
Old 03-21-2008, 10:57 AM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

But...... I only have 10yds of backing and the tiny drag may not be the best thing for steelheads.

You picked the best one for you, McFly. The one you got will be way better for steelheads...... and a little cheaper.

I had to purchase a SLA as soon as I say the pic in Field & Stream when it won "the best of the best" On my little trout rod it should be OK...... it sure is a "sexy" looking reel! LOL
Old 03-21-2008, 01:43 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

too late I got a deal on the SA Steelhead mastery line in 7wt for $41 bux on ebay compared to the $63 everywhere else. this will save me money and let me buy the extra spool of backing I will need to make it 150 yards instead of only 100 that I was gonna get before. what do you fish for. flyrichard. thanks flychick for the compliment.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly View Post
what do you fish for. flyrichard.
I fish for trout in the small streams in Central PA. We have quite a few great streams around. I also do a lot of flyfishing in the Susquehanna, upstream of Harrisburg. If I was going for steelheads, I would use a 7wt and a neat reel just like you got.

A 5wt works best for me, even for smallmouth bass. I've tried a 6wt and a 7wt, but I really like the action and fight of the smaller, abundant fish. I have the greatest thrill catching fallfish (chubs) and rockbass and big sunfish that live in the river. Even small bass, <15", are so much fun with a 5wt. When I catch a 18"er, it just takes a little longer to bring in. I don't want to use heavy tackle just for the 1% of fish I catch. Besides the big bass just pull like a carp anyway. The 12"ers are the ones that jump like salmon and bend a 5wt bigtime.

I choose the SLA because it's so light. I actually got a size 1 (for 3wt & 4wt) and put it on my 9' 5wt. Even if the reel had a paw drag..... or no drag at all, I still would have purchased it.

Having said that, I also have a 9wt that I use for stripers and blues. No SLA on that outfit!

Fish On,
Rick
Old 03-22-2008, 12:09 AM

got 150 yards of backing. its yellow. it will match with the mist green line. I wanted the jim teeny blue backing to go with the mist green but thats was 7 bux more. who cares. the fish don't, plus I spent enough already!!! I need to replenish my funds now! a 5wt tfo combo and 7wt custom rod with battenkill reel in the same month plus good line! thats $500 or so bux! maybe I should of got a $600 rod hahaha. oh well 2 for one! keep ya posted and post the pix of the new 7wt when it comes in. could take a month at the most but it will be way worth it!