battenkill mid arbor

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
will this reel work good for steelhead fishing in a 7wt configuration? I need a reel thats titanium in color and not spend over 150 or so for it.

FrankB2

Reaction score
They say the Pflueger Trion is the same reel, and you can get one
from the ebay dealers for around $75. I've seen the Pfluegers in person, and
they seem fine. Color is bright polished aluminum.

mojo

Reaction score
You want a good reel for steelies. Spend the bucks and get a Ross, Galvan, or Bauer or something with a low inertia drag startup. A BLA would be better I think than the mid arbor if you want to stick with Orvis. You'll need at least 150 yards of backing on the spool. Don't let a great fish get away because you skimp on a reel.
I've heard the same about the Pfleuger Trion being the same as the BLA, but, it's not. Looks close, but that's about it.

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
where I fish I can't see a fish going to the backing even if its huge . I can cast across the river in most places. I will check these reels out and see. I can't spend more that that cause then I am paying more for the reel than I am for the rod to me whats the point on that and I still got to get some line.

mojo

Reaction score
where I fish I can't see a fish going to the backing even if its huge . I can cast across the river in most places. I will check these reels out and see. I can't spend more that that cause then I am paying more for the reel than I am for the rod to me whats the point on that and I still got to get some line.
Then give the Mid arbor a try. I'd try ebay for a 7/8w Battenkill Large Arbor too. Even if your river's small a steelie will still take you to your backing going down river.

MtnGrouseHtr

Reaction score
I have a Trion and a buddy has a Mid Arbor. The spools are interchangeable and and look to be made by the same company. The do look slightly different but have the same internal components. (as of last year anyway).

I took mine (Trion) to Alaska last year fishing for Silvers and Steelhead. Caught lots of fish... The drag held up fine and had plenty of backing capacity. You will be well served by a Mid Arbor.

Joe D

Reaction score
I use the Battenkill Mid Arbor for Lake Erie trib steelhead and it's fine. It's a different reel than the Pflueger. The Orvis reel is machined from bar stock, weighs less, has greater backing capacity and is saltwater proof. Orvis includes 20# backing with the reel too.

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
ya am I leaning torward the mid arbor orvis myself. I can get it for around $130. oh well what the hell! ya only live once!!! that I know of......lol.

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
just wondered something. my orvis catalog says the mid arbor III model is for 5/7 wt rods. it holds 100 yards of dacron backing and 7wt line. ok but heres where I am confused. I was gonna get it off ebay from a orvis dealer for $119 for the 7wt custom steelhead rod and stuff but they say its for 5/6 wt lines and holds only 75 yards of 6 wt line? now who do I believe? why pay $20 more dollars for the IV model which orvis says is 7/9, but the dealer says is 7/8, if I don't need it when I can spend that on some better fly line and backing. I don't see a steelhead in my river taking me out all 100 yards plus 90 feet of fly line. so basically what is right what is wrong???? will the III model hold a steelhead 6 pounds or so??? and will it hold 7wt line or do I need the 7/9 IV model? I don't wanna pay $20 for just more backing space if I don't gotta.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Matt,

The MA-III would not be a good choice for Steelhead. I would buy the MA-IV. You can use the IV with a 7wt or 8wt. If you just have to have the III you can use Gel-Spun backing to get more backing on the reel.

Frank

Joe D

Reaction score
GeorgeMcFly,

The BLA III will handle steelhead in the water you describe, but the BLA IV would be a better pick. The larger backing capacity could come in handy at another place, but the bigger advantage is just the little bit overall larger size of the reel. In cold weather you'll appreciate the how easier it is to manipulate things that are just a bit bigger.

As Frank mentioned, if the BLA III is a must have, then you could go to gel spun backing or one of the braids, like Cortland's Masterbraid, but the extra expense of the backing would probably bring you to the BLA IV price anyway.

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
thanks so the mid arbor IV is the way to go? I will just spend the extra 20 I guess what the heck. I won't be cheap for once. lol hurry someone take a picture of this or something haha

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
just got it! woo hoo! exciting!!!! got the IV model. most I ever spent before on a reel and the most I ever will spend again haha. this should be a sticky. the cheapest fly fisher of all georgemcfly drops money on something decent! haha. jk. well hope I like it!

FlyChick

Reaction score
Just wondering why the "color" titanium is important? OR are you looking for an actual titanium reel? Maybe I should read more catalogs. :)

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
well basically I want it to match the custom rod I am having built. usually I am for a stealth look with black reels but since I am having this rod built for looks and for fishing this should match the aw13 window reel seat thats titanium with a black woven graphite insert I am having installed on it. also the butt section of the rod is black woven graphite also for about 30 inches and it will have black and silver wraps. I am just trying to match the rod. theres no other reason.. it does look sharp tho.

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
here is the reel seat I picked for the custom rod. its the one in the middle. AW13 Window Fly Seats
this is one reason why I got titanium color instead of black. think it will look good?

FrankB2

Reaction score
That looks fine for a 7wt. At least you didn't make the blunder that I did
with a reel seat: bought a nice walnut reel seat insert with gold hardware
for an SCII blank a couple years ago. You know what matches gold hardware? Nothing, but black:( .
I just sold my last black reel (good reel) without thinking. Oh well.....

How's that TFO outfit????

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
that sux frankb. black is all I have had up until this point. wouldn't the gold color battenkill match gold hardware? I seen a couple gold reels on my "epic" quest to find the right reel for my rod.. haha.

hey guys just curiuous whats a good line to get for this setup? I am gonna mostly be nymphing for steelhead and casting some buggers and clousers with this rod for steelhead and maybe some bass. I was suggested rio line on another site but have seen different ones. also seen the SA air cell too. what do you guys recommend??

Joe D

Reaction score
You definitely want a cold water line. The brand isn't as important as each brand will have its friends and foes.