The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   battenkill mid arbor (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/3583-battenkill-mid-arbor.html)

GeorgeMcFly 03-15-2008 06:17 PM

battenkill mid arbor

will this reel work good for steelhead fishing in a 7wt configuration? I need a reel thats titanium in color and not spend over 150 or so for it.

FrankB2 03-15-2008 07:39 PM

Re: battenkill mid arbor

They say the Pflueger Trion is the same reel, and you can get one
from the ebay dealers for around $75. I've seen the Pfluegers in person, and
they seem fine. Color is bright polished aluminum.

mojo 03-15-2008 09:03 PM

You want a good reel for steelies. Spend the bucks and get a Ross, Galvan, or Bauer or something with a low inertia drag startup. A BLA would be better I think than the mid arbor if you want to stick with Orvis. You'll need at least 150 yards of backing on the spool. Don't let a great fish get away because you skimp on a reel.
I've heard the same about the Pfleuger Trion being the same as the BLA, but, it's not. Looks close, but that's about it.

GeorgeMcFly 03-15-2008 09:08 PM

where I fish I can't see a fish going to the backing even if its huge . I can cast across the river in most places. I will check these reels out and see. I can't spend more that that cause then I am paying more for the reel than I am for the rod to me whats the point on that and I still got to get some line.

mojo 03-15-2008 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly (Post 23182)
where I fish I can't see a fish going to the backing even if its huge . I can cast across the river in most places. I will check these reels out and see. I can't spend more that that cause then I am paying more for the reel than I am for the rod to me whats the point on that and I still got to get some line.

Then give the Mid arbor a try. I'd try ebay for a 7/8w Battenkill Large Arbor too. Even if your river's small a steelie will still take you to your backing going down river.

MtnGrouseHtr 03-16-2008 09:22 AM

I have a Trion and a buddy has a Mid Arbor. The spools are interchangeable and and look to be made by the same company. The do look slightly different but have the same internal components. (as of last year anyway).

I took mine (Trion) to Alaska last year fishing for Silvers and Steelhead. Caught lots of fish... The drag held up fine and had plenty of backing capacity. You will be well served by a Mid Arbor.

GeorgeMcFly 03-16-2008 05:24 PM

I will check um out! thanks guys.

Joe D 03-16-2008 08:24 PM

I use the Battenkill Mid Arbor for Lake Erie trib steelhead and it's fine. It's a different reel than the Pflueger. The Orvis reel is machined from bar stock, weighs less, has greater backing capacity and is saltwater proof. Orvis includes 20# backing with the reel too.

GeorgeMcFly 03-16-2008 09:07 PM

ya am I leaning torward the mid arbor orvis myself. I can get it for around $130. oh well what the hell! ya only live once!!! that I know of......lol.

GeorgeMcFly 03-16-2008 11:24 PM

just wondered something. my orvis catalog says the mid arbor III model is for 5/7 wt rods. it holds 100 yards of dacron backing and 7wt line. ok but heres where I am confused. I was gonna get it off ebay from a orvis dealer for $119 for the 7wt custom steelhead rod and stuff but they say its for 5/6 wt lines and holds only 75 yards of 6 wt line? now who do I believe? why pay $20 more dollars for the IV model which orvis says is 7/9, but the dealer says is 7/8, if I don't need it when I can spend that on some better fly line and backing. I don't see a steelhead in my river taking me out all 100 yards plus 90 feet of fly line. so basically what is right what is wrong???? will the III model hold a steelhead 6 pounds or so??? and will it hold 7wt line or do I need the 7/9 IV model? I don't wanna pay $20 for just more backing space if I don't gotta.