The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2008, 06:17 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default battenkill mid arbor

will this reel work good for steelhead fishing in a 7wt configuration? I need a reel thats titanium in color and not spend over 150 or so for it.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:39 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: battenkill mid arbor

They say the Pflueger Trion is the same reel, and you can get one
from the ebay dealers for around $75. I've seen the Pfluegers in person, and
they seem fine. Color is bright polished aluminum.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:03 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

You want a good reel for steelies. Spend the bucks and get a Ross, Galvan, or Bauer or something with a low inertia drag startup. A BLA would be better I think than the mid arbor if you want to stick with Orvis. You'll need at least 150 yards of backing on the spool. Don't let a great fish get away because you skimp on a reel.
I've heard the same about the Pfleuger Trion being the same as the BLA, but, it's not. Looks close, but that's about it.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:08 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

where I fish I can't see a fish going to the backing even if its huge . I can cast across the river in most places. I will check these reels out and see. I can't spend more that that cause then I am paying more for the reel than I am for the rod to me whats the point on that and I still got to get some line.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:50 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly View Post
where I fish I can't see a fish going to the backing even if its huge . I can cast across the river in most places. I will check these reels out and see. I can't spend more that that cause then I am paying more for the reel than I am for the rod to me whats the point on that and I still got to get some line.
Then give the Mid arbor a try. I'd try ebay for a 7/8w Battenkill Large Arbor too. Even if your river's small a steelie will still take you to your backing going down river.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:22 AM

MtnGrouseHtr is on a distinguished road

I have a Trion and a buddy has a Mid Arbor. The spools are interchangeable and and look to be made by the same company. The do look slightly different but have the same internal components. (as of last year anyway).

I took mine (Trion) to Alaska last year fishing for Silvers and Steelhead. Caught lots of fish... The drag held up fine and had plenty of backing capacity. You will be well served by a Mid Arbor.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:24 PM

I will check um out! thanks guys.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:24 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

I use the Battenkill Mid Arbor for Lake Erie trib steelhead and it's fine. It's a different reel than the Pflueger. The Orvis reel is machined from bar stock, weighs less, has greater backing capacity and is saltwater proof. Orvis includes 20# backing with the reel too.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:07 PM

ya am I leaning torward the mid arbor orvis myself. I can get it for around $130. oh well what the hell! ya only live once!!! that I know of......lol.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:24 PM

just wondered something. my orvis catalog says the mid arbor III model is for 5/7 wt rods. it holds 100 yards of dacron backing and 7wt line. ok but heres where I am confused. I was gonna get it off ebay from a orvis dealer for $119 for the 7wt custom steelhead rod and stuff but they say its for 5/6 wt lines and holds only 75 yards of 6 wt line? now who do I believe? why pay $20 more dollars for the IV model which orvis says is 7/9, but the dealer says is 7/8, if I don't need it when I can spend that on some better fly line and backing. I don't see a steelhead in my river taking me out all 100 yards plus 90 feet of fly line. so basically what is right what is wrong???? will the III model hold a steelhead 6 pounds or so??? and will it hold 7wt line or do I need the 7/9 IV model? I don't wanna pay $20 for just more backing space if I don't gotta.