The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2014, 11:31 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice
Default Best advice from fly forum members

I thought this might be a good, positive way to provide forum feedback to other members in terms of advice offered, and how it has affected your fishing experience. I apologize if this has been done recently and I missed it -- I think this might be useful since everyone here is probably a responsible, good sportsman and probably has more "commons" than differences.

Mine is very simple and I've passed it along to my wife (main fishing buddy) and a few friends:

From Riptide: When fishing dries, the length of your tippet is as important as the diameter.

When I began using 4 and even 5' lengths of tippet my drift improved noticeably and it's one excellent piece of advice . I really hadn't given it much thought before, but extending the length when you are getting drag can do more to benefit you than going to a smaller "X".

Of course, I fought him on tapered leaders for a while but gave it up when I realized I was wrong.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:46 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Best advice from fly forum members

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
From Riptide: When fishing dries, the length of your tippet is as important as the diameter.
I start the day with a tippet that's as long as my spread-out arms (about 5-5˝ feet). It gets shorter as I change flies.

What length were you using before taking RipTide's advice?
fyshstykr and turbineblade like this.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:52 AM

furnacefella is a jewel in the roughfurnacefella is a jewel in the roughfurnacefella is a jewel in the rough

Sweet and Salt's detailed explanations of fly line tapers and effects have been most beneficial to me. I was a "half line heavy" junkie before reading his posts and had just assumed my poor casting was to blame for piling up leaders and tailing loops. I had also pretty much given up on getting any reasonable distance roll casting. I'm still no expert but my enjoyment level has increased immensely.

---------- Post added at 10:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

Silver Creek's thread on the Davy and Double Davy Knots was also very beneficial. I use the double exclusively and have had no failures. It is so easy to tie and reduces the balk of the knot from what I was using.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:57 AM

markfrid has a spectacular aura aboutmarkfrid has a spectacular aura about

My best advice came from Mr. comeonavs concerning my lousy ability to tie parachute drys. He recommended a utube video: "Parachute Adams, size 22, with a twist." Awesome video. Now I don't dread tying parachutes any more. In fact, I enjoy it! It's to the point where I can tie a parachute quite a bit faster than a conventional dry. Thanks a bunch!

Mark

By the way - another fun parachute video is Charlie Cravens "2 minute parachute Adams." Wow.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:05 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
I start the day with a tippet that's as long as my spread-out arms (about 5-5˝ feet). It gets shorter as I change flies.

What length were you using before taking RipTide's advice?
Gosh, only 2-3'. And I would start at 3' if that tells you much.

Live and learn -- of course, I started with mostly warm water species on level leaders.

---------- Post added at 11:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfrid View Post
My best advice came from Mr. comeonavs concerning my lousy ability to tie parachute drys. He recommended a utube video: "Parachute Adams, size 22, with a twist." Awesome video. Now I don't dread tying parachutes any more. In fact, I enjoy it! It's to the point where I can tie a parachute quite a bit faster than a conventional dry. Thanks a bunch!

Mark

By the way - another fun parachute video is Charlie Cravens "2 minute parachute Adams." Wow.
I like Craven's book and his parachute style -- that's how I do mine as well but I go back and forth between whipping on the post vs. the head area.
fyshstykr and mridenour like this.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:24 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

I would be hard-pressed to come up with a single bit of "best" advice I've gotten from this forum. I can honestly say that I come away with something worthwhile every time I visit. Probably the best piece of advice was to frequent the forum regularly.

Scott
Old 08-29-2014, 08:35 PM

gr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura aboutgr8outdoorz has a spectacular aura about

Although it's tough to chose one, since there is always great advice on this forum, I would have to say Silver Creek's posts on Entomology. It is quite obvious his vast knowledge on the subject. I always seem to have an "ah ha!" moment when reading them.
fyshstykr likes this.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:58 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

For me if I had to pick one thing out of the millions it is the concept I picked up by finding PlanetTrout's website from here.

The concept of where the fish are feeding in the water column along with their behavior. I went from a world class sucky nymph fisherman to fairly decent at it. Since dries are only prevalent a few months out of the year nymphing is a must around the front range.
fyshstykr likes this.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 08-29-2014, 10:05 PM

fox is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty new to the forum, but so far the best advice I have got is from everyone that talked me into getting a Hardy DD reel.

I had a Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor before that and just wanted something with more pickup and less line memory. The DD 4000 was the ticket for me. Very happy I got it, but I would have not even thought of it if not for the forum.

Thanks!
fyshstykr likes this.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:04 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Been years since I've done any 'serious' trout fishing save for Steelhead .. what the heck, they are 'trout.' Best learning curve I had years ago was to to to 'Furled Leaders' (two here, on the board, build/sell) with a tippet ring on the end.

Changing leaders is a 'snip' at the ring and new material. Job done with my 2handers.
fyshstykr and fireroad like this.