The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2008, 11:16 PM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough
Default Getting ready for the 08' season!

All this talk about "quality" in fly stuff. I posted about how the super lite rods are the way to go. Well they are, but last night I checked all my flyrods and I have lots of cheapos with the exception of the only "semi-expensive" "high end" rod I own. Last year I purchased a 9' 5wt Sage Fli for $255! And I must say that I caught quite a few trout and smallmouth and fallfish on this wonderful lite rod.

But I only have cheap reels....... and old cheap line..... and I've been tying for five years and I still use a $15 vise! LOL

I changed all this a couple mins ago. Cabelas has a $4.95 ship charge for any amount, so I did some internet shopping! I hate to shop. Must have been the 22 years I was married following my EX around while she spent all my money on her hundred pair of shoes and her five hundred dresses. We had a big closet....... 98% was her stuff........ I only had two suits and two pair of jeans, one pair leather shoes and one pair of sneakers! She had hundreds of outfits, maybe a thousand!

Anyway....... tonight I just ordered a SLA reel (it won the best of the best in Field and Stream) and some Sharkskin line. Pricey, but it's the best. And I ordered a rotary vice. The Renzetti was on back order, so I got the Peak Rotary Vise. Both look wonderful and the Peak was a couple dollars cheaper. I also got lots of fly tying stuff. That's what I like to do late at night, very relaxing, so I finally upgraded to the latest stuff.

Winter is over, and trout starts in 13 days. The smallmouth are biting now....... when the water goes down.

I'll post some pix and reports with my high price line as soon as the water drops. Two years of drought and now everything is flooded!

What do you guys think about the new "Sharkskin"? And where do we post fishing reports on this site with pix? Could I use PhotoBucket? or is there a better way?

Later,
Rick AKA Fly Robin Fly........ up up to the sky
Old 03-16-2008, 11:29 PM

scoobydue4 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Getting ready for the 08' season!

I almost bought an SLA reel until I read the reviews on them. They seem to have a serious problem with the drag.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:49 PM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

I also saw the reviews! ........ but I picked one up in my hand!

"In my cold dead hand, that's when you will take this wonderful reel from me"
Old 03-16-2008, 11:50 PM

philthy is on a distinguished road

Rick,

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do I also took advantage of the 4.95 shipping when it was offered about a month back and picked up a Simms Rivertek jacket that was on sale for 200 bucks. I've had a Peak rotary vise for a little over a year now and it'll serve you well. If you're gonna try tying the small stuff like I do, the midge jaws really make life bearable.

We're fortunate we don't have a "season" here in New Mexico, but we do have a weather season. Today the wind was 30-40 with gusts over 50 MPH. Nevermind the flows on the San Juan are really high and it won't be the safest to wade for a couple more months minimum. I've been busy at the vise the last few weeks and have a couple of boxes full of midge larva/pupa/emergers, RS2s, para adams, para BWOs, and a bunch of other stuff, mostly size 20-26. I've gotten some #28 hooks but still haven't worked up the courage to really get after them. These small flies are a hoot to tie and I feel kinda clumsy anytime I try to tie something huge, like a 12 or 14. Hint: one of those magnifying lenses with the fluorescent bulb makes this madness bearable.

Phil
Old 03-17-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philthy View Post
Rick,

Hint: one of those magnifying lenses with the fluorescent bulb makes this madness bearable.

Phil
I already have one, Phil. I use it even when tying a size 4!! Soon I'll tackle some tiny flies...... maybe down to a 16! I don't think I could tie a 22 or smaller........ I can hardly see them, even with my magnifying light!
Old 03-17-2008, 10:32 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I needed a rotary vise last year, and bought a Peak. Very nice quality, and
a real workhorse for everything I tie: #20 midges to #4 hairy things. The
vise's heavy base is really nice as well.

Enjoy your new gear !!!!
Old 03-17-2008, 10:32 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by philthy Click the image to open in full size.
Rick,

Hint: one of those magnifying lenses with the fluorescent bulb makes this madness bearable.

Phil
Do you find tyeing under a flourescent bulb gives you a headache? I was told that they cycle off at 60 CPS & to avoid them for close work. I've always used an magnifier with an incandescent light & have no problems. I always wondered if the headache story was BS
Old 03-17-2008, 10:54 AM

philthy is on a distinguished road

FISHN50,

Actually, I haven't. My biggest problem has been living in a studio apt and having to tie on the bar/counter while sitting on a stool. The height between the two isn't right and the ole neck hurts after awhile. I need to get out looking for a desk I can set up after tax time. I do have the light over the stove (couple feet away) on while tying. Maybe that helps offset it?
Old 03-17-2008, 11:02 AM

hattrick is on a distinguished road

I don't have alot of money...so when I buy I try to get the most for my money a little research goes a long ways and I buy middle ground $300.oo on
pole, $250-300.00 on reels.

kelly
Old 03-17-2008, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by philthy View Post
FISHN50,

Actually, I haven't. My biggest problem has been living in a studio apt and having to tie on the bar/counter while sitting on a stool. The height between the two isn't right and the ole neck hurts after awhile. I need to get out looking for a desk I can set up after tax time. I do have the light over the stove (couple feet away) on while tying. Maybe that helps offset it?
One of the things I like best about my cheap old Dan-Vise is that tis stem is so long I can put it up to shoulder height and make it easier on my neck.

FlyRichardFly, I think we're just gonna rename you RichFly after that spending spree. (jk)

I wish I had known cheap shipping created such a buying impulse, BEFORE I left that industry. Thanks guys.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.