The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2014, 02:57 PM

fiskebein is on a distinguished road
Default Streamer Tactics

Witch tactics and lines do you guys use on streamer fishing on brown trouts?

I'm fishing a dry fly 90% of my time. And when i try streamers and nymphs i never get fish. This is basically because i don't have the experience i guess. And when i do, its whit a floating line #5 and a light wolly bugger size 10.

Anyone here who fish streamers much, and wanna chear tactics and tips?

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

Found this thread.

Streamer Strategies
fyshstykr likes this.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Streamer Tactics

Hi,

Use our search feature and type the words Streamer Fishing as your search words. There are many threads about tactics here. I don't have time to expand on this at this time but will try quickly.

Have you ever fished with spinning lures? Fishing with streamers is a bit like using spinners because you are using a fly which is meant to move through the water rapidly. With dry flies or nymph you are looking to dead drift the offerings but with the streamer you are looking to sweep the fly across the stream in an arc. You will fish these down stream casting across or slightly down stream and then allow the current to cause the fly to sweep across the stream.

There is much more to be said about technique and various ways to control the fly as you fish but I would need to write a chapter to even scratch the surface and am out of time right now.

Search the threads, I believe I have a blog post about streamers also and you can search blogs here also.

I'll post again later today,

Ard

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

Here are a couple threads with info;

Streamers, How I got Hooked on Swinging;

More About Fishing Streamers;
fyshstykr and ezduzit like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-30-2014, 04:16 PM

cochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant futurecochise has a brilliant future

I see a lot of guys stripping line but not their fly. I try for very short but very quick strips.

You will find that a dead drifted or swung streamer does not get the attention of one that is being stripped and long strips usually are not nearly as productive as short quick strips, at least not for me in the conditions I fish.

I like to cast upstream and strip back down stream, this tactic has served me especially well on all types of waters.

Of course as I type this info I keep thinking of all kinds of exceptions but its a good platform to start.

I always try to keep my streamer in sight as well. Stripping it quickly keeps it up in the water column and you can see it and it is one of my most favorite visual ways to fish.

Once you get keyed in on it you will see fish like you never have before. You will have a ton of follows and slashes that even though you don't hook up you will be excited and it is fulfilling in itself, the more fish you see the behavior of the more and faster you learn how and why they may hit your presentation.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:07 PM

fiskebein is on a distinguished road

Hehe, nice.

I fish alot in forest and mountain waters to. Any fast tips there?

What line for example? Synk3, synk6, sinktip. Weighted flies are so nasty to cast, so im thinking of using a sinking line/tip.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:34 PM

busbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to beholdbusbus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
I see a lot of guys stripping line but not their fly. I try for very short but very quick strips.

You will find that a dead drifted or swung streamer does not get the attention of one that is being stripped and long strips usually are not nearly as productive as short quick strips, at least not for me in the conditions I fish.

I like to cast upstream and strip back down stream, this tactic has served me especially well on all types of waters.

Of course as I type this info I keep thinking of all kinds of exceptions but its a good platform to start.

I always try to keep my streamer in sight as well. Stripping it quickly keeps it up in the water column and you can see it and it is one of my most favorite visual ways to fish.

Once you get keyed in on it you will see fish like you never have before. You will have a ton of follows and slashes that even though you don't hook up you will be excited and it is fulfilling in itself, the more fish you see the behavior of the more and faster you learn how and why they may hit your presentation.

Okay, this is where I have a question. I want to do this, I really do, but how far do you cast the fly? I swear I don't cast far enough and the streamer is halfway back to me before my strips do anything.

And this is where I really, really get stuck: How far do you strip the line? Until there is how much fly line exposed? And, most importantly, how do I get all of the line back out there?

I have tons of problems with that last part. I have tried the figure eight technique as well as dropping it at my feet and even holding loops in my hand. I always, always have trouble getting the line back out there without making it all come out of the end of the rod before trying to cast.

What should I be practicing to resolve this issue? This is fly fishing 101 (maybe 102) and I should know what to do but I don't in all these situations.

Is this where I need to learn the single haul and the double haul? I have tried them but I look like a combination of Curley Howard and Chevy Chase and it is almost always a true mess. But if this is the thing I need to learn to get the line out there further and to also get all of the stripped in line back onto the water, then I need to start practicing this in earnest at the pond over lunch.

Thanks,
ray
Old 10-30-2014, 08:44 PM

cab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura aboutcab has a spectacular aura about

You'd be amazed at how deep you don't need to go when working streamers. On the small creeks, I fish a #12 or 14 'bugger, color of your choice, on my 8'3wt. Floating line, treated furled leader, no beadheads, no sink tip. I like fishing dries upstream, on the way back to the truck streamers downstream. Same leader, tippet, everything- just change flies. Cast across and down, let the line and fly swing across. Take your time, it happens pretty slow. Fish will often hit "on the swing" as the saying goes. At the end of the "swing", strip back towards you. This is where it gets tricky. Short, long, fast, slow- I like John Barr's phrase: let the fish tell you. It's been written on this forum: you can't strip faster than a fish can swim- I know for a fact I can't! This is where it gets exiting. I've seen several fish rocket out of the depths and SLAM a streamer that was maybe 3" deep, often breaking the surface in the process.

Play with them for a while and I think you'll find: The tug is the drug!

CAB

Edit: I try to cast the fly to where the fish are NOT, then swing it to where I think they are. Put it right over thier heads, and you'll spook the hole fur sure! CAB
Old 10-30-2014, 11:29 PM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about

I love streamer fishing enough that I sometimes try to force fish to hit streamers rather than fishing the stuff they are eating. Today I drove over to the Boulder River (the one near Big Timber MT) and waded downstream a mile or so fishing streamers just because I felt like it. Caught 12 nice trout, rainbows and browns...nothing huge, about 16 inches at most, but fun.

Casting them...I strip until I've only got about five feet or so of fly line out, because fish often follow a streamer for a long way. Then I pick up the fly with a HARD lift and backcast, not vertical but usually at about three quarters verticle, letting a few feet of line slip through my fingers as the streamer gets behind me. Make sure not to let the rod go too far back, stop it at about 12 o'clock. It's a matter of timing and takes a bit or practice, but you'll soon figure out when the fly line has straightened out behind you and pulled out that few feet you let slip through your fingers, and at that point you stop the slipping line, and with a weighted streamer you should feel the rod load as the streamer pulls the tip backward. Then come forward hard but not too hard, and let the line slip through your fingers again, and it'll usually go out 20 feet or more. If you need more distance, stop the rod again at 10 o'clock and come back hard again and repeat. (I like putting a lot more power in the backcast than the forward cast because at least if the streamer is coming at your head you can see it on the backcast )

If it all breaks down and the streamer falls right in front of you, strip in enough line that you can lift the rod high and do a roll cast to get it out far enough to get a decent backcast.

Don't be afraid to cast sidearm and watch the streamer on the backcast to get your timing down better.

I'm probably doing a bunch of things wrong with that description, but I'm completely self taught when it comes to fly casting, and have figured out what works for me.
busbus likes this.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:17 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Here:

Streamer Strategies

Streamer junkies!

Both are recent threads...

PT/TB
dean_mt likes this.

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/
Old 11-02-2014, 01:03 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Here is some great information that Ard wrote on streamer fishing this past January, definitely worth reading:
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...tml#comment920
Hardyreels and ezduzit like this.

Old 11-02-2014, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Thanks for finding that Larry,

Someday I should search for all comments and threads I've made on this topic and put them all into the blog so I know where to link to. I can't claim to be an expert and am not sure what that would mean but have been tying & fishing streamers ever since I began fly fishing. As time wore on it became my preferred fishing and now in Alaska it's all I use. There is a chance I may have more experiences with this technique than some and could be helpful to many if I got all the text into one place.............

Ard
mcnerney, busbus and smilingduck like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;