The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2008, 10:39 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Casting Lessons

I'm going to take some casting lessons. Thought it would be better than the old trial and error. With the money involved, I think it's better learn it correctly than get frustrated and quit.

Anyway, I was looking at Shendandoah Streamers in Berkeley Springs, WV. Anybody know of them or have used them?
Old 03-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Casting Lessons

Hi Axle,

Taking lessons is a great idea. It will cut way down on your learning curve. It is too bad that more shops don't give free casting lessons like Feather-Craft does. Free lessons can create a lot of revenue for a local shop.

Sorry I can't help you with your questions about Shenandoah Streamers.

Frank
Old 03-17-2008, 11:10 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Amen Frank!!!
In my non-fishing spare time, I fly R/C aircraft and give flying lessons. I've
been in that hobby for more than 30 years, and have been a member of
many clubs in two states. Nobody charges for flying lessons, and it usually
takes at least 40-70 hours to get someone trained. I had one student that
needed a year of lessons! It does cut onto my flying time, but I made the
decision to become an instructor: R/C flying is expensive enough already
without having to pay for fly lessons, and the Academy of Model Aeronautics
would frown upon such a practice.

I was lucky enough to have a local fly shop manager give me 30 minutes of her time on a few occassions, but she charges when not at the
shop.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:09 PM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

Tim Rajeff is rolling through town and i threw my hat in there for a tune up in performance casting in june---I always said that if he came within 50 miles of me that i would take a lesson or two ---there are a couple more openings if anyone in north central ohio is interested
Old 03-17-2008, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

My home shop will do free casting lessons with purchase of a rod. Then again their cheapest option is a Sage Launch. I think that casting lessons should be thrown in with nay rod over $200.

If you're buying a rod, see if they'll throw that in. Most of the better fly rod manufacturers require that list price be charged for the rod, but the "service" the shop throws in is fully up to them.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:39 PM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

thats a great idea Cliff!---ill sugest that next time im in my local shop---i got a glance at his closet the other day---theres got to be 60 rods in there!
Old 03-17-2008, 08:09 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

The shop employees I visit go outside with the customer when testing rods.
I suppose you could ask if you're using the right technique for a rod being tested. Spotting bad habits can be done pretty quickly be an observant eye,
especially when they're looking to sell a rod .
Old 03-18-2008, 02:22 AM

FlyChick is on a distinguished road

THis is a great idea. I was lucky to learn from my dad when I was about 6 or 7 years old. Thirty years later I tried it for the first time, and it stuck all those years. There is a lot to be said for ingraining proper technique from the start.

Let us know how you fare at your local shop!
Old 03-18-2008, 05:54 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

The only "local" shop to me is Kelly's White Fly Shoppe in Shepherdstown, WV. The other is a bit farther away (Murray's in Edenburg, VA). I'm going to visit Kelly's this weekend. If I didn't go out of town last weekend for family politics (read: wedding), I would have visited both.

I just purchased the Orvis book on fly fishing. I've read alot of books on the subject in the past few months and, although the information in all of them are about the same (removing any personal preferences), the Orvis book is VERY informative.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:29 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
the Orvis book is VERY informative.
That is a fact! It is a book you should never get rid of IMHO. It's darn good reference material that you will use when you're an old-timer at this! Good stuff!