The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2014, 12:11 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Real Combat Fishing in Alaska!

I spotted this over on Moldy Chum, this takes combat fishing to a whole new level. I don't think I would travel all the way to Alaska and plan to fish in tight quarters like this, it's just not my type of fishing experience I enjoy. I know Ard goes to tremendous lengths so his clients are fishing stretches of water by themselves and not sharing honey holes with several other anglers.

Real Combat Fishing or Struggling for Steelhead--Better quality - YouTube

Old 11-06-2014, 12:34 PM

Lsuhunter is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Real Combat Fishing in Alaska!

That just does not appeal to me at all. I fish to get away and relax... It's just funny that it happens in such a big state, with areas where fish have probably never even seen a person.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:14 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud ofCutThroat Leaders has much to be proud of

I just had a discussion with a fishing buddy yesterday about this very issue. This was during a hike-in fishing trip I did with some good buddies. He grew up in OR and he was sharing some stories about guys waiting in line to get into steelhead holes after another fisherman either landed a fish or got snapped off. The discussion quickly turned to various fights / arguments he witnessed throughout the years. Needless to say, this guy gave up steelhead fishing for chasing trout in beautiful surroundings. I would rather fish alone (buddies included) in a beautiful area and chase brightly colored native fish, then deal with a bunch of arrogant guys fishing the same hole. Alaska is a trip I plan on doing in the very near future, I have heard great things about Ard’s operation…. Might be worth a good luck.

The image below is from our hike in trip mentioned above. As you can see, it was not an easy place to access, therefor nobody but myself and my fishing buddies were within miles of us. My idea of a great day on the water…. Yes, my legs are sore!

Click the image to open in full size.
mcnerney, Bigfly, cpiercem and 7 others like this.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Blog: http://furledleader.blogspot.com/
Old 11-06-2014, 02:07 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Mike: I talk with Ard on the phone quite a bit except when he is putting in those long days guiding in the summer months. I can assure you he puts in 14-16 hour days to make sure his clients are fishing in remote locations where other anglers are not likely to be, and if they are there he moves. He wants his clients to have that remote fishing experience they come to Alaska to experience.
On the opposite side of the spectrum, a couple years ago we had a guy post a trip report that he had done with one of the big lodges in Bristol Bay. He had used one of those RC controlled helicopter rigs with a camera to video the fishing for Sockeye they were doing, and guess what, there were 7-8 anglers all lined up in the same run fishing not 30-40 ft apart, certainly not my dream of a fishing trip to Alaska. After I saw that, I got on that lodge's web site and they were charging approx. $7,500 per person for seven days of fishing. I'm sorry, if I wanted that kind of fishing experience I would drive to the Russian river and rub elbows with 200 like minded fishermen and save a ton of money.
Bigfly, cpiercem, cowger10 and 2 others like this.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:16 PM

eastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to alleastfly66 is a name known to all

Nice Mike ! Pretty far from the old Swift River huh !!
Old 11-06-2014, 03:17 PM

runningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to beholdrunningfish is a splendid one to behold

Since Iatrouter posted his trip with Ard in Alaska, I knew Ard is my man if I ever going to Alaska to fish.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:29 PM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

It's actually easy to fish by yourself here, even on the road system if you are willing to walk a short distance.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:34 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Unfortunately, i have seen ugly displays like that on more than a few occasions up there.
They normally occur when you simply have to many anglers on a stretch of river and people
get volatile.
Typically this kind of activity happens in overcrowded areas such as ship creek or the
Russian River. Not my cop o' tea.
Now ards sanctuaries, thats what its all about

casey
mcnerney likes this.

ARFE
Old 11-06-2014, 04:36 PM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

Ship Creek and the Russian are awesome rivers. They keep everyone away from all of the other places.
mcnerney, cpiercem and caseywise like this.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanbiker View Post
Ship Creek and the Russian are awesome rivers. They keep everyone away from all of the other places.
Well said!