I Need a New Lid....

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
As mentioned in another post, my greatest fear about wearing my cover that I brought back from Nicaragua some 30-some-odd years ago was lost this past summer on my trip to Montana in or around Dillon.

Literally driving back just to look for that hat, after 3 months and having bugged the heck out of every place it could have been lost, posting in all the papers, on websites and even having it announced on the radio in the area has yielded nothing.

Don't get me wrong, it still bothers me in that I paid my dues for that dang beat up rag, but I've resolved myself to never seeing it again knowing that to some it is garbage, others enough character that they'll never give it up.

So, I guess I need a new lid *shudders at the thought*. I don't want to buy *mutter* another like it in that to me it would feel like putting an old girlfriend's lingerie on a blow-up doll so not quite the same. To that end I'm looking for some suggestions.

* I'm not a ball cap kinda guy though wear em in a pinch.
* I don't cotton to typical fishing hats simply because I'm not a clone.
* I'm not really sure about the cowboy thing in that I seem to only have to herd cats.
* Don't like mesh in hats.
* I'd do a top hat but have no monocle, bowlers make me look like Stan Laurel, Fedoras make me want to say "fagedaboudit" too much, a classic Huck Finn straw hat is just too fancy, and though a dunce cap probably suits me best I figure everyone would copy me then.

What I'm looking for I'd like to have a bit of character to yet in short order gain more to suit me.....Unfortunately my initial thoughts aren't panning out too well on locating them...being:
* 1898-1903 ver. Campaign hat.
* WWII varied tropical weight full brim hat (British/Burma, Philippines, etc.).
* FFL & Dutch 1950's Indochina types.
* etc..

I do have concerns as to weather/weight though so looking for something more tropical (having concerns about typical wool offerings in that many are more moderate weather....or so I would assume, don't know).

In any case, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

B.E.F.

repperson29

Reaction score
Hmm,

Filson tin cloth packer hat or their tin cloth bush hat seems like it would meet your criteria.

By the way, I feel your pain on the hat. I didn't bring back a hat full of memories from a place far away, but a pair boots. My boots fit perfectly and were functional still, sure they were torn in a few places and carried the smells and stains of everything I walked through and I was proud of them.

My wife unknowingly tossed them away in the process of moving and I actually went to the dump and looked for them so I feel your pain.

Ryan

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I tried on my grandfather's WWI campaign hat the other day. I think you can do better

I wear an "up-downer" like the gentleman in the picture.
The flap in the back maybe be for sun protection, but for me works best for keeping a cold breeze off my neck

dean_mt

Reaction score
It's a helluva task isn't it, finding a new hat? The Filson packer is a nice lid, I have one but it is too small, I've had it for years but haven't worn it in a quite a while. I don't know if my head grew or the hat shrunk, but I need a new hat too. There are other "packer" hats out there with slightly different styling.

I think you need a Stetson. I really want nice Stetson, but not a cowboy hat. I'm not a cowboy and I live among real cowboys so that just doesn't work for me.

How about an open crown style cowboy hat? It's the original Stetson style cowboy hat, now know as the Boss of the Plains. This isn't a Stetson but nice take on the style.

lil_ol_angler_me

Reaction score
I live in LAS VEGAS yup sin City and I wear stetsons all the time and no body snickers (at least not twice) my favorite fishing one is a nice straw job cost about $40 on sale keeps sun and water off my face and neck and is really comfortable

and most people really like the way it looks

my other headwear are black ball caps with my Ranger Tab and First Cav pins on them

for fishing i go with a Stetson (or you can buy a decent generic)

gfirob

Reaction score
+1 on the Filson tin cloth. Good rain hat, full brim but smaller than a cowboy hat, basic fedora shape, cooler than felt.

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

You know, there is a guy in Pennsylvania who makes custom period hats for movies and re-enactments and what not. His site is:

Dirty Billy's Hats

Go down to "About us" and then scroll down to the bottom, to the shots of Sam Elliot in a 19th century Cavalry hat and Tom Berrenger as Teddy Roosevelt in a great Rough Rider's hat. These are kind of pricey, and after considering it, I got the Filson hat, but for pure style it's hard to beat that Rough Rider's hat...

Of course, it helps if you look like Tom Berrenger...

J

james w 3 3

You just can't go wrong with a Tilley . . .
Yes, pricey. Really good things often are.

siege

Reaction score
I still have my issue tiger stripe boonie hat, but it doesn't go fishing. I think I know how you feel about your lost lid.
How about a nice beaver felt fedora? Matching grosgrain silk band, silk liner ? Hey, if it was good enough for Indiana Jones......

Last edited:

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
+1 on the Filson tin cloth. Good rain hat, full brim but smaller than a cowboy hat, basic fedora shape, cooler than felt.

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

You know, there is a guy in Pennsylvania who makes custom period hats for movies and re-enactments and what not. His site is:

Dirty Billy's Hats

Go down to "About us" and then scroll down to the bottom, to the shots of Sam Elliot in a 19th century Cavalry hat and Tom Berrenger as Teddy Roosevelt in a great Rough Rider's hat. These are kind of pricey, and after considering it, I got the Filson hat, but for pure style it's hard to beat that Rough Rider's hat...

Of course, it helps if you look like Tom Berrenger...
Read this post with interest but like a total idiot didn't go to the link. MISTAKE, maybe not, as this is going to cost me some money. For probably close to 15 years my 'fishing hat' was a Calvary hat with red 'acorns' (Provisions). Hours of pounding rain and my head always stayed dry ... albeit the hat could weigh 5 pounds with all the collected water.

Hat looked like hell and needed to be 're-blocked' but no service like that in/around Seattle. Thing got so rattie that even I couldn't go there anymore and chucked same; the red acorns are still around here someplace.

Need to check out my hat size again .......

Fred

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Okay well, perhaps you guys can help edjumacate me a bit regarding hats.....

I have a hat here which is something of a fedora style though called and "Outback". 3" brim (size I like), Olive Gr./Br., pinched front crown. But of Wool felt, and on the cheaper end of things......What I don't like about it is the wool though lightweight would be way too hot for summer or really anything over 65F.

Looking at the Stetsons, the style on this one is similar to a 1903 Campaign hat. I don't like the color, the band/cord, and it's just a touch wider in the brim but 1/2" can be a big change (at 3 1/2), and really don't like a $250 price tag.....That said, it is listed as 4x Fur Felt.

What does 4x, 5x, 6x....1000x fur felt mean?
I get the fur felt part, just not the __x designation.

Thanks for your help....Frankly this is going to be tougher then I thought in that nothing will feel like "my hat" again.

B.E.F.

gfirob

Reaction score
Check out that Filson hat. Smaller brim, cooler in summer, I think they are 50 bucks, and the kind of hat you will give to your grandson...

plecain

Reaction score
Since we're speaking of Stetsons again...

Last year my 40-year-old Stetson finally died after I spent a couple of days in the pouring rain with it and no rain cover. The thing weighed a ton.

My lovely wife bought me a new one for Christmas, along with some vinyl rain covers.

It's what I wear now just about all the time while fishing.

First, I like it, but I have another motive - it helps make me memorable. I usually fish alone and often way out in the woods. I just about never see another fisherman, though I do see hikers now and then.

If I don't return from a trip, the odds are that if whoever is looking for me describes me to people in the area as "an old guy wearing a Stetson and a bright yellow (orange/blue/green) shirt", there's a good chance someone will remember seeing someone in a getup like that. At least, more so than if I wear all beige.