The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2014, 10:49 PM

jpgodf is on a distinguished road
Default Actually, What Are My Basics?

OK, I've gotten my rod/reel /line for western NC. I got good waders/boots, wading staff, Onyx pfd, and a terrific friend/guide who is teaching me and we've fished a couple great creeks.

I've watched lots of videos. I've spin fished in Alaska for 45 years, before moving here to NC.

I've got a Sage 950 rod and an Abel Creek #2 large arbor reel, SA Mastery Textured WF line.
Now I need to get all the "off the line" stuff. I need to get my own leader, flies, boxes, indicators, split shot, lumbar pack, net, zingers, hemo, tippet, etc.
Of course, my buddy is gonna recommend. And we're going to the WNC Fly Fishing Expo this weekend.

Still, could you please give me your best recommendations for all the above listed things I should get, so I can become a self-reliant fisher guy here?

Thank you,
JP
eastfly66 likes this.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Actually, What Are My Basics?

Honestly it reads like you have a really inclusive list, once you finish shopping that out I wouldn't know what to recommend. .......... Net, a nice net so you don't have a hard time trying to handle the fish and maybe a good little all weather camera that is submersible.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-03-2014, 11:17 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Forum members sell some high quality stuff you are shopping for.

Flies from hairwing530 He will sell you a very nice selection reasonable and for a good cause.

Try a furled leader from Joni the Flygoddess and see if you like furled. I like mine a lot.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:31 PM

jpgodf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Honestly it reads like you have a really inclusive list, once you finish shopping that out I wouldn't know what to recommend. .......... Net, a nice net so you don't have a hard time trying to handle the fish and maybe a good little all weather camera that is submersible.

Ard
Thanks Ard.
I know you are a fellow Alaskan. You understand.
Although I had so many adventures in the Alaska bush, I never got into taking photos. My experiences, the people, the wonderful, the dangerous, the beauty, the tragic, and the near death. They were all worth every moment. I could never capture those in a photograph.

In my retirement here, in the Blue Ridge Mountains, perhaps I'll write about it.

JP
mcnerney and cpiercem like this.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:10 AM

eastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really niceeastfly66 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
Forum members sell some high quality stuff you are shopping for.

Flies from hairwing530 He will sell you a very nice selection reasonable and for a good cause.

Try a furled leader from Joni the Flygoddess and see if you like furled. I like mine a lot.
ditto on the box of flies from Jerry , I would make that 2 actually ...

polarized shades ?

spare spool and sink tip line or poly sink leaders ?
mcnerney, hairwing530 and jpgodf like this.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:26 AM

spm will become famous soon enoughspm will become famous soon enough

+2 on the flies from Jerry, aka hairwing530. You will get a better tied fly and less expensive than any fly shop and Jerry uses the proceeds to help children.

I didn't know about furled leaders from flygodess, but you can bet I will be in touch with her. Look at that; 0800 cst and I've already learned something. Looks like a good day ahead.

steve, aka spm
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:02 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Books

Believe it or not you're not going to learn what you need to know from the interweb or even your buddy.
There's no substitute for book learnin'.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:03 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

+3 for getting your flies from Jerry!!!! His flies are top of the line and very inexpensive, you would be hard pressed to find that quality at a better price and the proceeds go to help fund his fly tying classes for brain cancer kids, certainly a great cause.

I don't think you mentioned nippers, there you can go cheap and buy a pair of finger nail clippers, or a pair of dedicated nippers for around $7 all the way to the top of the line $50 Abel machined nippers, but then you would need a good lanyard also, Abel sells one for $25 (I think). I'm old school and the cheap $7 nippers work just fine for me, year in and year out.
Amazon.com : Streamside Nipper : Fly Fishing Tools : Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com : Streamside Nipper : Fly Fishing Tools : Sports & Outdoors

I'd also suggest getting a tippet spool holder, here is the one I use:
Amazon.com : Orvis Tippet Spool Holder : Fly Leaders And Tippet Materials : Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com : Orvis Tippet Spool Holder : Fly Leaders And Tippet Materials : Sports & Outdoors

Old 12-04-2014, 10:11 AM

ditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really niceditz is just really nice

Abel Clippers......absolute requirement......If you have a rod, reel, line, leader, and a fly you are ready.
pheldozer and dee mac like this.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:00 AM

jdwy is on a distinguished road

Speaking of nippers, I got the type Larry shows above. Being old and dull, I tried sharpening them on one of my knife stones last night and they can be sharpened good as new in a short amount of time.
As far as basics, I really like the Orvis Safe Passage Sling Pack (not the bigger guide version) for food, camera, drinks, etc, in addition to my vest. It can be carried over the left shoulder so it's not on your casting shoulder/arm and the pack is at your back. It's easily swiveled around for access.