The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree92Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2014, 01:23 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default New 'old dog' and a new 'best friend?'

Sandy and Husky are 'passed,' their ash boxes are here on my desk. Huge hole in my heart and, of all places, our local 'Craig's List.' Why that listing caught my eye I have no idea, but it was meant to be?

'Turkey,' ya, that's her real name, is flaked out next to my desk. Couple of hours ago and I'm doing 'cheese and cracker' for breakfast, cold nose nudging. I got one, she got one. Now snoozing next to my desk; I think this will work out very well.

A good Dog, a very-very good Dog. One more 'proof' that God has a heck of a good sense of humor as he looks down at me? Perhaps, just perhaps.

fae
Old 12-09-2014, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New 'old dog' and a new 'best friend?'

That's good to hear Fred, very, good to hear. I'm pleased for you.

Please tell us more about her, and we need pics.
mcnerney, fredaevans and jaybo41 like this.

"I've never missed a Steelhead by waiting too long. It's true, but I've missed plenty trying to set the hook too quickly." Dec Hogan 'A Passion For Steelhead'

Old 12-09-2014, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

So you did it! Good for both of you
mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-09-2014, 01:44 PM

jpgodf will become famous soon enough

Glad to hear your new pooch found you, Fred. I had to put down my 12 year old german shepherd last year, just before I moved from Alaska to NC. Boy that was painful.

My younger gs Mickey is loving it here in the Swannanoa Valley. Last week I was devastated when I thought Mickey was coming down with hip dysplasia. I found out from the vet yesterday that it's only a sprained knee. Mickey's on the front porch, eyeballing a flock of turkeys in the field next door. He's sure ticked at me for not letting him run over and tree one of those gobblers!

JP
Old 12-09-2014, 01:54 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Fred: That is great news, I'm so happy for you that you have another companion! Yahoo!!!!
fredaevans and jaybo41 like this.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Good news Fred....hope to see a pic soon
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:07 PM

honyuk96 is just really nicehonyuk96 is just really nicehonyuk96 is just really nicehonyuk96 is just really nicehonyuk96 is just really nice

Good for you Fred, glad the deal worked out for the both of ya.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:18 PM

grtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to all

Fred....congratulations on the new friend.

As I noted in the "Fishin Dawgs" thread in March, this year I lost my two buddies Moose and Kodiak within 5 days of one another.......The wife bringing home Moose just a month after losing Pig-Dog who I swore I would never have another dog after, and meant it....mostly.

Click the image to open in full size.

Don't get me wrong, Moose at just barely 11 as big and burn the candle at both ends perfect as he was had clearly slowed down a lot quickly, and Kodiak at 9 having all sorts of problems........Made me beyond proud when one or the other clearly either held out or deliberately passed to do the one thing I demanded of them....Always stay with the other. Yet as proud as I am still not a day goes by that it doesn't hurt me deeply missing them. Our dogs who my wife and I pour our love into not having been blessed with children (yeah, we're those kooky kinda people).

So in March they're gone, we choke it down and get on with it.....Naturally being a He-Man I state flatly, that's it, no more, I'm going to live life like a free adult again, come and go when I please, for as long as I please, I have no further responsibilities....Though we all know that wasn't it, but that's my story, I'm sticking to it.

July-August off to Wyoming, Montana and Idaho for a month long trip of a lifetime, and still everyday it's Moose & Kodie this, Moose and Kodie that, and as much as the wife keeps saying during the trip she just needs another one, even acting like a 10 year old and taking photo after photo of a pair of stuffed Chocolate Lab plushies at every state line sign, I hold my ground...by gawd *thumps chest*

When blue thinking on it I wait till she falls asleep in the hotels, and I go out to the truck, kick on some old country, pour a drink and look at their photos on the laptop never letting it be known.......But.......half way through the trip she's hinting, 3/4 of the way through suggesting, and with 2 days left to go nagging so much about getting another dog that I blast on through 1,400 miles like it's nothing, bitter that they're gone, angry that she wants to be tied down again, and full of regret for a thousand things to do with the Monkey Dawgs.

Two months more and I've had enough.....Lots of cursing, arm waving and the like I MAKE her get in the truck and off we drive to this guy she had been talking about who just had a litter, oddly passing the first Chocolate Lab I have ever seen that was as big as Moose just a mile from the place making it just that much more hurtful.

She hedges, I insist, I've had to listen to nothing else for months....Pick one, period. Like all our dogs she comes up with some fanciful name, and in short order changes it realizing her vanity doesn't suit who she is or the Dog.....So there we have it, "Montana", Momma's got her dog.....I want nothing to do with it, it's her problem.

Naturally, that lasted all of about 5 minutes in that for all intents and purposes "Monster" might as well be mine from how he acts.

......Funny thing though. If you listed out every time I had to tear into Moose who was so wild he was the first dog I ever considered giving away (so got Kodie 2 years into it which made a night and day change).....every problem or inconvenience they caused in my life, bluntly everything that had me madder than fire......It is as though Kodie and Moose sat down Montana before we picked him up and listed it out line by line.

The dog ain't right.....He entertains himself, is there when I want him to be, is never pushy, is gentle even when rough housing (Moose dang near killing me a number of times like some gigantic Baby Huey vs. Papa), this list goes on, and makes no sense in that the dog doesn't act like a dog that hasn't had direction should act......Literally.

So yeah......I got another dog, my dog, not the wifes, mine.

So like sands in the hourglass, so are the days of our lives....and yes, he will be my last dog *rolls eyes*

B.E.F.
fredaevans, jaybo41, jdwy and 4 others like this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:01 PM

depenner will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtlksmarlin View Post
Fred....congratulations on the new friend.

As I noted in the "Fishin Dawgs" thread in March, this year I lost my two buddies Moose and Kodiak within 5 days of one another.......The wife bringing home Moose just a month after losing Pig-Dog who I swore I would never have another dog after, and meant it....mostly.

B.E.F.

Oh, yeah, I know this story. We put down our second shorthair nearly three years ago. One of the worst days of my life (still almost makes me cry). My wife and I talked about taking a "break" from having a dog. After a few months, she mentions she was talking to the breeder, and they might have an adult pointer that needed a new home. Went and looked--couldn't do it; reminded me too much of Pearl. Back home we went and once again talked about waiting to get a dog.

Couple of weeks go by and Liz is spending a lot of time looking at rescue sites (we've always had adult dogs). Fine, but we're still going to wait.

Another month goes by. Liz comes home from a lousy day at work and proceeds to announce " I WANT A DOG!"

Short story, the wait ended up being about 5 months. We've now had Edna nearly three years. She is one of the greatest dogs I've ever had, and I love every minute with her.

david

ps Fred, forgot to add, congratulations. I, too, look forward to seeing many pictures of the addition

Last edited by depenner; 12-09-2014 at 06:02 PM. Reason: addition to post
Old 12-09-2014, 05:33 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: New 'old dog' and a new 'best friend?'

Fred that's awesome news! While you can never replace an old friend, you can always get new ones. From the sounds of things, this is going to work out great, for you both. I'm looking forward to seeing some photos of the new pooch.