The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2014, 12:15 AM

Location: SouthEast Wisconsin, but have lived out west in the U.S. as well.
treebound is on a distinguished road
Default hello, coming back around

Hello,

I've been away from fishing for a couple years now but once again have the bug to get back into it a bit. So for the next few months I'll be rummaging around in the basement and garage and rounding up my fly fishing and fly tying stuff. I'll also be trying to either remember or trying to figure out what line is on which reel. Budget constraints will prevent just loading new lines except for maybe one primary setup.

The company I'm currently working at had their annual holiday dinner and I won a gift card to Cabelas, so my wife and I stopped by the local store where I realized that I'd better figure out what I need before buying stuff. I also saw a notice that a Trout Unlimited chapter will be hosting a fly tying class there in January so I'm also going to look into that as a means to refresh my mind to current and local fly fishing stuff.

Anyway, just popping in to say hello. Not even sure if I've posted here before but did find out I had already signed up a few years ago. Life happens, distractions and other priorities get in the way, but here I am regardless.

MikeJ
Old 12-14-2014, 12:35 AM

siege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hello, coming back around

Welcome aboard, Mike !
Glad to hear you've rediscovered a great pastime.
Keep us posted on your progress, feel free to ask questions, solicit advice, and tell tall tales
Old 12-14-2014, 02:16 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Mike,

I believe you'll enjoy this forum and fine it to be a good source of information and support. Actually for an internet thing this is about as good as they get.

Welcome to the group,

Ard
hairwing530 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-14-2014, 05:38 AM

hairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond repute

+1 to what Ard and siege said, Mike. It's good to see you returning to the sport, and back on the best fly-fishing forum on the planet! Welcome...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 12-14-2014, 09:16 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Mike: Welcome aboard and congrats on winning the gift card to Cabelas!

Old 12-14-2014, 10:34 AM

gfirob is just really nicegfirob is just really nicegfirob is just really nicegfirob is just really nicegfirob is just really nice

Welcome back. I took a brief vacation from fly fishing for about 30 years and I found this forum extremely valuable in the process of finding out I didn't know how to do it in the first place.

People are generous with their knowledge and experiences and provide a fairly broad spectrum of ability, from the deeply skilled to those without a clue, so it is not difficult to find out where your own skill level is and what you can aspire to.

Great gear advice too, especially if you are having a hard time picking out the best nippers to buy...

Rob
Old 12-14-2014, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the welcomes.

Found some tackle boxes in the basement with tying gear and some materials so I'm going to sift through those and figure out where I sit with stuff. I know that I used to have a bobbin that really chewed up thread so at the very least I'll be shopping for a bobbin or three (will have to search to see what folks are using these days).
Old 12-14-2014, 04:54 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

Hi & Welcome Back to The Forum & seeing you are getting back into Fishing ..as The saying goes "Tight Lines".
Brian
Old 12-23-2014, 05:14 PM

I picked up a new bobbin and a bobbin threader over the weekend, also some fresh head cement. Then as I was clearing off a worktable in the basement I found a bag with a few fly tying items in it that I'd forgot about, I think I got them at a rummage sale several years ago. In the bag is an old vise (clamp-on style), and a couple of ancient bobbins that I need to do a little research on. I'll see if I can post up a pic or two at some point in case anyone would be able to tell me what I have.

I'm considering signing up for a fly tying class that starts in January just to get back into things a bit and to help me get back into fly fishing a bit more. I think the class meets one night a week after work for six weeks and is sponsored by a local Trout Unlimited chapter at Cabela's. Before that though I think I want to stop in at the fly shop store in town just to see what they might have going on.

Anyway, just an update.

Last edited by treebound; 12-23-2014 at 05:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-27-2014, 11:12 AM

Seeing if I can post an image link here, if it works then I'll add more later (got a wedding to go to today)

Click the image to open in full size.