What is your favorite Brand and model fly Rod?

zug buggin

Reaction score
Some of the high end fly rods a re out of my price range and will always be dreams but for me my favorite all time fly rod is a SAGE SP 6 wt. It was the first good rod I ever bought and to this day and after about 10 rod purchases it is still my favorite. Its by far the smoothest casting rod and the action being somewhere between medium and medium fast is perfectly suited to my preferences. Whats your favorite?

ia_trouter

Reaction score
The Sage should sell EZ enough in the classifieds and then you can get a St Croix :)

I ordered a Echo long rod for Christmas. Someday I will likely have a favorite high end rod builder but probably not until next year. Too busy spending my spare change on fishing trips for now.

troutnut4

Reaction score
My favorite ? My rods are like children, can't pick one over the other. My favorite is always the one I'm with at the time. I tend to favour my 4 weights and have 5 of them. :D

repperson29

Reaction score
Bought my first high end rod and reel for Xmas this year. Orvis superfine glass in an 764. Haven't taken it fishing yet but have lawn casted it and it became my new favorite rod and most likely the only rod (beside my steelie rod) I'll have for a good while.

Ryan

bloomagoo

Reaction score
It's not a fair question. It's like asking me to choose my favorite child. I have 18 and they each have their own personality. Every one, Orvis, Fenwick, Sage, Greys, Redington, was purchased used, on sale or on closeout yet they are all as precious to me as a new H2 or Sage Circa....well, almost. :)

rott21

Reaction score
Another favorite rod question, with me it happens to be the one in my hand at the time I'm using one. :fishing:

ruttness

Reaction score
in 94 my dad bought a 8'6" 5wt sage rpl to get into fly fishing and lost interest, the same year i was given an eagleclaw glass rod to learn on and i was hooked, 2 years later i was given the rpl as a birthday gift. it to this day is still my all time favorite rod even though its been fished 20 years now its still in great shape.

looking back i feel bad for all those after school, weekend and summer trips my mom drove me to various streams to fish

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
I'm with Jerry,,give me a good Orvis rod and call the situation good for me. I have my Superfine 3wt of course for small trout and small streams,,,and a 9', 5wt of earlier manufacture that I traded from Sweetandsalt that I'm really becoming fond of for bigger water and at the lake. The full'ish flex makes for a wonderful rod to lightly set the hook in ol' papermouth(Crappie) while at the same time the 5wt gives me a bit of wind bucking abilities on open water with larger flies and streamers.

Love my Orvis glass 4wt too.

I even like my Access 5 wt pretty good too.

Not knocking any other manufacture,,,but I'm an Orvis guy.

J

james w 3 3

After going through more than a few I have gotten it down to four, each a delight to cast.

But the favorite, without getting all flowery about this, is my Hardy Zenith one piece 4wt.

:D:D:D:D

lurker66

Reaction score
Mine is a St. Croix Imperial, 3/4wt, 7'. I caught my first trout on it. I cast it better than any other rod and have tons of confidence in it.

When they aint biting, I can make em hungry with that rod.

tpo

Reaction score
I've never taken the plunge into high end rods, so I'd say my favorites are a couple of my St. Croix's, a 8'6" 4wt Legend Ultra I use for streams and a 9' 5wt Imperial for lakes, both 2 piece models. I also have some Cabela's rods (LST/LSI) that I like a lot. I have a few TFO's and Reddington's I'm not as crazy about, really just a personal preference I think since they all seem to be well build and perform fine.

Tom

allan_s

Reaction score
I don't have a favorite brand as I own rods from multiple companies. I don't even know if I have a favorite rod so it would depend on what stream I'm on. I always travel with my Helios 9ft 5wt and my streamflex 10ft 5wt so either one of those.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score

Rod & reel both, I have more than I need, more than I ever would have dreamed of 40 years back but...... If I had to return to using just one I would reach for the one above :)