The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 8 Post By gfirob
  • 1 Post By geordie41
  • 1 Post By itchmesir
  • 1 Post By ia_trouter
  • 1 Post By shifty242

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2014, 08:08 PM

markfrid is a jewel in the roughmarkfrid is a jewel in the roughmarkfrid is a jewel in the rough
Default Now that you have your bamboo and/or glass...

What do you do with them? Are they quaint relics from the old days that are fun to play around with, or are they used as serious tools in your arsenal? Have they replaced any of your graphite?

I have to admit that after growing up with glass, then bamboo, and fishing with those rods exclusively until about 5 years ago, I've found that graphite has a pretty unshakable place in my fly fishing scheme. I've settled on a demarcation line at 8' - any rod 8' or longer, graphite has my vote. Cane and glass seem too "clunky" for me in those lengths. Even when I didn't know anything about graphite, when I fished my 8 and 8 1/2 bamboo, I wished I could get by with my 7 1/2. Now that I've fished graphite in the longer lengths - there's no comparison, in my book.

Under 8' - that's another story. Even though my 7 1/2' Winston IM6 #4 is the most wonderful piece of graphite I can ever imagine, it's not better than my old 6 1/2 and 7 1/2' bamboo rods. It may be on the verge of being as good, but not better. Maybe there's some sentimental attachment to my old "babies," but when close-in (30' or so) work is needed, I almost always grab the cane. They are smooth, accurate and very intuitive casters, and they really excel at the shorter distances. And for me, landing a trout is at it's most fun on bamboo, especially the shorter lengths.

Anyway, what about you?

Mark
Old 12-23-2014, 11:11 PM

gfirob is just really nicegfirob is just really nicegfirob is just really nicegfirob is just really nicegfirob is just really nice
Default Re: Now that you have your bamboo and/or glass...

I find that now, after bonding and regularly fishing with bamboo rods, my graphite rods feel like a dead things in my hand, like industrial waste, toxic and brittle, whose action borders on the spastic, a sensation like having a seizure or a stroke, like having your vital life forces sucked out of you, like radiation poisoning, like the sun melting down…

But maybe I’m biased...
Old 12-24-2014, 01:34 AM

geordie41 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
I find that now, after bonding and regularly fishing with bamboo rods, my graphite rods feel like a dead things in my hand, like industrial waste, toxic and brittle, whose action borders on the spastic, a sensation like having a seizure or a stroke, like having your vital life forces sucked out of you, like radiation poisoning, like the sun melting down…

But maybe I’m biased...
Well said that man!!!
I have a few plastic rods but my Bamboo is my go to rod . The only time I use graphite is when bush bashing small high country streams and there is a high chance of breaking a 2 piece rod when hiking in.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:11 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have a fiberglass Orvis Golden Eagle. 9' for an 8wt, that I'll use on occasion
It's a heavy rod, 7.5 oz., but when you want to cast big air resistant bugs with an open loop, it has no equal.
It's a rocket launcher.
Just don't plan on swinging it around all day.
Other than that, none of the glass or cane rods that I use are long.
Even the glass 9/10wt that I use in my kayak in the salt is only 8'.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:32 AM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

I haven't used any of my glass rods for decades, my graphite ones just do a better job for me. I have one bamboo- an Orvis Madison- that was my Dad's. I try to fish it once a year just because. I'd planned to use it yesterday, but woke to icy roads/snow/rain. Tied streamers instead.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:46 AM

jgentile is a glorious beacon of lightjgentile is a glorious beacon of lightjgentile is a glorious beacon of lightjgentile is a glorious beacon of lightjgentile is a glorious beacon of light

I still have my 7'9 Far and Fine though I tried to sell it here. I think I will hold onto it for the time being. All my Sage are gone as my Winston (sold it to you Mark).

These days I reach for 7'2 CBarclay 3wt., 7'10 CBarclay 5wt., Phillipson/Bean's "LL" 7'6 6wt. though I have only had the rod out once.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:51 AM

unknownflyman will become famous soon enough

I still use my glass rod, nothing wrong with it, caught lots of big fish on it and it`s been everywhere. Memorable fish, many many of them and a few personal records.

I like graphite I hook way more fish with a faster rod under certain conditions.

I have never fished a quality bamboo rod, the ones I tried had me puzzled as to who would want to fish such a thing?

I posted in the glass vs graphite thread and it`s true I hook way more fish with a graphite rod but I should have said under certain conditions, If I don`t need the speed I think that I like them both they are just different and fish a little different.

It`s always a trade off. There are things I love about glass that graphite does not have and for quality I`ve busted a few graphite rods and my glass is old and in great condition.

I`m going spey for big game now, I have a feeling that my old glass rod will collect dust. We will see.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:18 AM
Banned

itchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud of

For the past year and some I've been using fiberglass... My graphite is either sold off or sitting in the closet collecting dust... I just enjoy the feel and bend that fiberglass offers... Graphite seems so lifeless to me now... I also owned one bamboo rod that I sold off because I just didn't feel that I fell into the collector category and an almost 100yo cane rod falls into that category imho...
ponycarman likes this.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:33 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post

But maybe I’m biased...
LMAO!

Sorry, but I'm going to have to report you to Sweet and Salt.
cab likes this.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:48 PM

shifty242 has a spectacular aura aboutshifty242 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfrid View Post
What do you do with them? Are they quaint relics from the old days that are fun to play around with, or are they used as serious tools in your arsenal? Have they replaced any of your graphite?

Mark
My graphite (Scott S4 905, 907) have been relegated to back up rods. I still like them and they are still regularly used because a 4-piece rod is easy to travel with. But whether it's a classic Phillipson fiberglass or a modern glass rod like an Ijuin, an Epic from Swift, or even the Scott F or F2, this is what I prefer to have in my hand.

Vintage glass offers slower rods and presentations, but can be had at "discount" prices. Modern glass comes in a variety of materials depending on what you want in a rod. I primarily fish for trout. A reasonable argument can be made for either graphite or glass in casting and presenting a fly depending on an individual fisherman's preferences and conditions. But in my opinion, the feel of a fighting trout on a fiberglass rod is electric and significantly more fun.

I still like graphite and will continue to buy it. I am looking for a Scott G or G2 3wt at the moment, but can't really justify it due to price. My next purchase will be a 8'5wt from Epic (Epic 580 FastGlass Fly Rod Blank | The Swift Fly Fishing Company) And I would like to highlight Christian Hogren, a rod builder from Stockholm as someone who can take a fiberglass blank and transform it into a work of art. He recently posted photos of three completed Epic blanks. See them here: Fine Tackle

Regarding bamboo, a month ago I fished the Guadalupe with a friend from San Antonio. In the afternoon session, he used a 7'10 para-5wt bamboo rod made by Floyd Burkett (Bamboo Rodmaking Tips - Contributors - Floyd Burkett Biography). The reel seat was made from Texas mesquite and is quite long to accomodate the foot of a pristine pre-war JW Young reel. Mouth-watering pictures of this rod can be seen here: http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/foru...php?f=8&t=8108

It is so beautiful I wouldn't let myself touch it. I don't want to know how awesome it is. At this point in my life, the last thing I need is an obsession with bamboo !
fredaevans likes this.