Quality Vise ~$100?

sndmn11

Reaction score
I currently use my step-dad's vice and it is a very nice Dyna King with the rotary feature, etc. I have access to this anytime I want and use it regularly. I do not use the rotary feature other than turning the fly for inspection and what not.
I tie nymphs only, and really don't need anything special for what I tie as far as a vice goes.
I am looking for a vice of my own that I can supplement the one I already use and be able to take it places with me with a few spools of thread and a handful of materials. For instance, to my girlfriends house, as on weeks like this with the bitter cold, it would be nice to hang out with her, watch tv, and tie some flies. She fishes as well, and has expressed in an interest in wanting to tie.
So I am looking for a quality vise that is a step above bare bones that isn't going to get wobbly jaws or worn components over time. I have seen some under the $100 mark from mfgs I don't recognize online at fishwest, and some (renzetti apprentice for example) around $100 from mfgs I do. I also see that spending $150-200 gets me a lot more options.
I was hoping that someone could throw out some quality models around the $100 mark for me to focus on trying to see in person, or tell me that I would be just fine with a $50 guy.
Thanks for your help

flies would be small midges to say a size 8 pheasant tail-ish nymph with most being tied 20-14 standard nymphs for trout in CO

Last edited:

bloomagoo

Reaction score
I have been very happy with my Danvise. It handles tiny midges to large saltwater flies with aplomb. And it's a true rotary.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
The travel kit from Cabela's is a good deal for very short money ... 20 beans on sale
A lot of people have 'em

sndmn11

Reaction score
Sweet, thanks guys. I will check those ebay links
Are vises something that generally on the used market I don't have to worry about wear so long as its from a quality mfg?
I suppose a better way to phrase my question would have been asking for a list of quality mfgs that if I find one i like from X mfg at a price I like, i shouldn't worry about quality?
dyna king
renzetti
griffin
anvil
hmh
danvise
*peak*
___________?
Rip Tide, $20 would be great. I already have a gob of quality tools, is that vise going to to a dump in a few months?

Last edited:

mridenour

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sweet, thanks guys. I will check those ebay links
Are vises something that generally on the used market I don't have to worry about wear so long as its from a quality mfg?
I suppose a better way to phrase my question would have been asking for a list of quality mfgs that if I find one i like from X mfg at a price I like, i shouldn't worry about quality?
dyna king
renzetti
griffin
anvil
hmh
danvise
___________?
Rip Tide, $20 would be great. I already have a gob of quality tools, is that vise going to to a dump in a few months?
Add Peak to that list.

mridenour

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've been tying on a Universal Rotary (not a true rotary) that I bought about 40 years ago. Ugly aluminum thing. Still works. I'd love a nice new one but for now I'll keep plugging away on this old clunker.:)

jdwy

Reaction score
I usually research everything to death to get the most for my money. Years ago I got a nice rotating Griffin that at the time was the best deal around You might check their site. I definitely would NOT recommend buying anything from Fishwest. They are 7 1/2 hours away driving time and twice now it took 1 1/2 weeks to receive common in stock items. Reading the fine print on their free shipping in so many words they state if you want the free shipping, we ship when the mood hits us.

jaybo41

Reaction score
I've been tying on a Peak Rotary for years now and have probably tied thousands of flies with it. I believe a vise needs to hold a hook well, have solid jaws and have a heavy stable base. The Peak does all of those well enough for my needs. While the Rotary version is out of your budget at $150, they do make a non rotary version that is absolutely worth a look.

Holding a hook is somewhat relative to the size of flies you're tying and since you mentioned 14-20, I'd say it would fit the bill pretty well, though when tying #18 or #20's, you may wish to have the midge jaws instead of the standard. Those are an optional add on that you could purchase at any time. When I tie a lot of flies in the 16-20 and smaller range, I swap out the standard for the midge jaws but the standard will handle the 16's just fine.

Oh, and Peak's Pick N Brush tool is an outstanding addition to your fly bench, I highly recommend them.

markfrid

Reaction score
I bought a Griffin Superior 2A with the fine jaws late last year to replace my 40 year old vise. $60 with shipping. Not rotary, but I've never used a rotary. It does great. Very basic - like me. I've had hooks in it up to #8 and they held fine as long as I didn't lean back and yank. Most all of my tying is 24 to 12's. Made in USA, well put together and finished. Like many posters have said, it's hard to find a bad one in the before-mentioned brands.

Mark

dakotakid

Reaction score
Check out the fly tying vises reviews by Fly Fish Ohio.

Fly Tying Vises In-Depth Review by Fly Fish Ohio!

I found this to be very helpful in navigating through all the promotional chatter to determine what features were available and how they might appeal to me. It was especially helpful because they grouped them by price.

I ended up buying a used Danvise and am very happy with it. It's easy to travel with (light), grips hooks tightly and is a true rotary. There are many good choices, so it's helpful to try them if you get a chance.

Good luck with your search.

comeonavs

Reaction score
Big fan of the Peak, I've tied a few thousand on mine (rotary , pedestal version).I did add the midge jaws like Jaybo mentioned for size 20 and smaller.

While it is a tad over your price point Peak is also a local company. Al Ritt one of the founders is a great guy and a local guide up here in Northern Colorado. I was waffling between a few brands but bought the Peak to "support" the local cause and am glad I did.

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

Check out the fly tying vises reviews by Fly Fish Ohio.

Fly Tying Vises In-Depth Review by Fly Fish Ohio!

I found this to be very helpful in navigating through all the promotional chatter to determine what features were available and how they might appeal to me. It was especially helpful because they grouped them by price.

I ended up buying a used Danvise and am very happy with it. It's easy to travel with (light), grips hooks tightly and is a true rotary. There are many good choices, so it's helpful to try them if you get a chance.

Good luck with your search.
Thats awesome Peak won the shootout. When I went on a guided trip with Al Ritt about 2 years before I started tying he was telling me he owned a company that built fly tying vises. I said I would love to learn but I am to fat fingered. Ho showed me his sausage fingers and asked me what my next excuse was.

He said he and a few of his other tying buddies who are all engineer were sitting around discussion vises and where the "misses were" and what they would want in a vise. I am probably butchering the story a tad but someones comment was " a group of engineers like us could probably build a better vise"

And in the American way Peak Vises was born

Again I probably butchered the story but its cool to see stuff like that

PS also thanks now I am off to ACE tomorrow for those e-rings.....sent my last spare flying 2 weeks ago

sndmn11

Reaction score
I forgot that Al is involved with Peak. He is my favorite tier to watch at events and shows because he takes the time to answer questions and is so friendly. That would definitely sway my decision on this, as would playing around at the Denver show.....
However, looks like I have worked out an even trade for a griffin vise with a forum member who was kind enough to PM about an extra he had lying around.
Thanks for all your help folks, very informative thread.

gfirob

Reaction score
You would be way better off buying a used quality vise than a bargain vise that looks like it would be good if it could (beware of many imported rotary vises).

All these suggestions are good, but I think its really hard to beat the Peak vise if you can find one used. Might even be worth stretching the budget and getting a new one.

ptarmigan

Reaction score
Good thread and a timely one. I've been looking at the Peak and Renzetti traveler myself as an encomical upgrade. I think I might go Peak and use the $50 I saved for more materials.

JDR

Reaction score
As a relatively new tyer I realize the problem with recommending a vise is tryiing to separate fact from emotion. All the vises recommended are excellent. Ergonomics on each will vary somewhat, but like most things you will adapt and get comfortable. The problem comes after you have made an emotinal connection with your vise. The pleasant hours of tying and eventually the thrill of catching a fish on your fly that you tied on your vise. That is when your vise becomes "the best". You can get a better vise by buying a used piece. Then, tie. You will find in all likely hood it will be a great vise. For the record, I tie with a Peak.