The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2015, 07:41 PM

southflflyfisher is on a distinguished road
Default 3wt or 4wt for bluegill.

I'm look8ng to get a nice 3/4 wt reel for under 150. Also wanted to know if i should go with a 3wt or 4wt rod.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:27 PM

fly_guy12955 has much to be proud offly_guy12955 has much to be proud offly_guy12955 has much to be proud offly_guy12955 has much to be proud offly_guy12955 has much to be proud offly_guy12955 has much to be proud offly_guy12955 has much to be proud offly_guy12955 has much to be proud of
Default Re: 3wt or 4wt for bluegill.

Click Pawl Fly Reel / Battenkill Reel -- Orvis
bmbailes likes this.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:55 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Welcome to the forums!

Ultimately, the choice is your's. You need to decide which would best suit your needs & which you feel you would enjoy fishing the most.

I have both weight rods & either is fine for any of the panfish species in my area. I enjoy fishing with either, and may choose one over the other depending on the waters I intend to fish. I cannot say either is better for Bluegills than the other.

Reels used on those weight rods simply hold the line, and don't need to be anything special for panfishing. Of course we all have our likes & dislikes, and reasons we buy what we do. Again, the final choice will be yours to make, and it's your money.

On my 3 & 4 wt rods I use some older Cortland Rimfly and Okuma Sierra reels. The Rimfly reels are no longer made, but can still be found sometimes, particularly on Ebay. The Sierra is a good quality reel at a reasonable price. Both are good basic reels and I have no complaints about either. There are many good reels that will fit your intended purpose & budget.

You might consider looking at Allen's reels. There are many folks here who have very good things to say about them & Allen has great customer service. My only experience so far with Allen has only been with buying hooks & beads from them, so I can't comment about their reels otherwise.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-21-2015, 10:18 PM

kicker19 has a spectacular aura aboutkicker19 has a spectacular aura aboutkicker19 has a spectacular aura about

The spots my bluegill (yes I called them mine lol) are on a stream that has lots of bank bushes and over hanging trees, very few spots allow for back cast. So to adapt to this situation I go with a 6'6" 2wt, it's perfect for getting into the tight spots where they hang out. A 3/4 wt will be fine. I ended up getting the cheapest reel I could find, $10, cause all it does is hold line. If you have a bluegill run you into your backing then please invite me to your spot !
ditz likes this.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:02 AM

huntschool is on a distinguished road

Frankly, I would go with a 2 wt if you have more rods in your quiver and are fishing for more then gills.....

I fish a 2 wt and its just about perfect for gills and small bass when I am in warm water. I dont know what your budget is or where you fish but you would likely be well served to find a shorter rod of the 6.5-8.5 or so length in either glass or the newer stuff. You could look around ebay for a Fenwick or Garcia or Heddon. As to reels you, can get what you want. For something the size of gills its not like ya need a drag system other than your hand but to each his own. I say that with a Ryall on my 2 wt.

OK, so that's just me..... What other rods do you have and what other kind of fish do ya go after? That will help us help you......
Southeastern Illinois College
Shotgun/Pistol Team Coach
NSCA Level III Instructor
Old 01-22-2015, 05:52 AM

ia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud ofia_trouter has much to be proud of

There are many reels that would work fine. Do you want it to have a drag? Which ones please your eye? We can give you our two cents if you want to narrow it down some. 3 or 4 WT are both good rod choices for a bluegill rod. 3WT is a lot of fun, A 4WT contends with the wind a little better.

You'll enjoy bluegill fishing on the fly. Especially if you get into some larger ones.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:04 AM

weiliwen is on a distinguished road

To echo a few voices above, I'd choose a 2-weight. I use a 6'6" rod and it works great. It'll even handle the occasional 1-2 lb bass I get surprised by at my local pond. And the Rimfly is a good, cheap, real, and still widely available used. No drag, as it's not needed, and mine, at least, was made in England. I did get a 10' 3 weight for Christmas, and will give that a try, although overhanging trees will limit where I can cast. During a warm day just after Christmas I roll casted nearly across the pond with that monster.

From early spring, I usually stop by my local pond, a quarter mile away, on the way home from work for a half hour or so, enough time to make a circuit around it. Since it's small and gets hit hard (although catch and release), the fish get smarter as the season progresses, so you have to get smarter during that time as well! It's a good way for me to unwind after a hard day's work.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:11 AM

ditz is a glorious beacon of lightditz is a glorious beacon of lightditz is a glorious beacon of lightditz is a glorious beacon of lightditz is a glorious beacon of light

Get a 6' to 7' 2 or 3wt rod. TFO signature has a 2 for slightly over $100. There is a gentleman in MI that custom builts a nice glass 6 1/2' 3wt for something over $100. Eagle Claw markets a 6 1/2' 3wt glass for something just over $20 and it is a nice fishing tool. .....Then get yourself the cheapest reel that you can find at BPS or Cabelas. If you do just a little shopping you can get the whole bluegill rig for less than $100 and still have a fine fishing tool.

If you are interested in the custom glass rod just PM me and I will hook you up.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:11 AM

southflflyfisher is on a distinguished road

I will also be using the rod for trout when I go to north georgia to visit the inlaws. I have an 8wt now for bass/saltwater. Most of the places I fish for bluegill there are good size bass too a few pounds. Im just looking for a smaller rod to make it more fun to catch small fish and one i can use for trout. I was looking at the orvis Battenkill ll reel but I have never used a click pawl reel before.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2015, 03:32 PM

rockriver is a splendid one to beholdrockriver is a splendid one to beholdrockriver is a splendid one to beholdrockriver is a splendid one to beholdrockriver is a splendid one to beholdrockriver is a splendid one to beholdrockriver is a splendid one to behold

I'd look at a full flex, 8 foot, 2 weight for gills. If a 3 wt. is your choice, full flex, 8 1/2 ft. would be my choice.