browsing Cabela's and I have a question

dwizum

Reaction score
Has anyone actually ever paid $160 for a pair of pliers? When I first saw this I assumed it was a mistake.

Simms® 7" Pliers : Cabela's

Now, before I hit the post button, let me add a few disclaimers. If someone has bought them, or aspires to buy them, I have nothing at all against you. I may not understand, but I'm not posting this to put you down.

For the record, these are the pliers in my fishing vest:

4-3/4" Long Nose Pliers

I stole them out of my toolbox, they've served a hard life around the garage and house and are performing just fine. Personally I think I'd be hard pressed to spend more than $2 on pliers.

repperson29

Reaction score
If I knew how to post those little animated guys I would do the one that's beating a dead horse.

Is it spring yet?

Ryan

repperson29

Reaction score
I guess you're saying this has been covered before?

Sorry, I'm new.

Ohh it's ok,

There have just been plenty of discussions on the virtues of able nippers (50$) and the like and how anyone could pay that for nippers blah blah blah.

This is just a slightly more expensive tangent of that.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

Ryan

Rip Tide

Reaction score
My saltwater pliers are regular needle nose. I found them while fishing so I figured that's what they must be good for.:thumbup:
But it's nearly impossible to keep them rust-free.
I carry them, along with my file in a holster that I made from sheet foam and I'm always soaking my pliers, hook file, and holster with 3in1 to ward off the rust
You won't see me any time soon with spiffy new fishing pliers, but I can understand why they sell them

ia_trouter

Reaction score
The fancy gadget and tool threads get a little unfriendly at times. I won't pay $160 for pliers either, but at the same time ultra cheap tools are not at all the same in function or longevity if you actually use them frequently. It would be difficult to explain it to you. It's something you just have to experience for yourself.

And welcome to the forum.

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
Any pair of pliers for me is just one more thing to lose or drop in the lake. I purchase accordingly.

As an old farmer told me once when buying a cheap casio watch: Rolexes are too expensive to plant.

That's my philosophy.

If I got $160 and I get to Cabelas, its going to fly rods, line, maybe a new set of waders, tying materials.

Or guns and ammo.

jpgodf

Reaction score
For a new member to this forum, it's not always easy to find whether the topic you're asking about has already been covered in older threads.

And even if it was previously discussed 2 or 3 years ago, there could be new members who didn't participate in that earlier thread.

JP

mridenour

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For the record, I don't remember the last time fishing pliers were discussed
No one missed anything
Yeah, I just think it was instantly associated with the Abel nippers thing.

As far as the OP, I would most definitely spend more than $2 for needle-nose pliers and get a decent brand like Channel-Lock unless I was likely to lose them every time out. I've been a mechanic and know there is a definite difference in a good pair of pliers and cheap junk. I'm also quite sure that it is possible to make a better pair of pliers than Channel-Locks, but there is a point of diminishing return.

For those that wish to spend an extra $140 or so to get this extra quality, have at it! Maybe someday I will find them laying in a trout stream!

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Ohh it's ok,

There have just been plenty of discussions on the virtues of able nippers (50$) and the like and how anyone could pay that for nippers blah blah blah.

This is just a slightly more expensive tangent of that.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

Ryan
My first (and remains) reaction to '$50.00 nail clippers' was 'what the heck??' To my total surprise they sold in droves! Retailers had a heck of a time keeping them in stock.

Go figure?

Also, as with Ryan, welcome to the Board.

Fred

caberguy

Reaction score
I also wouldn't spend that much money on a pair of pliers. I do value quality tools, but it seems like too much. That said, my old man bought me a pair of aluminum fishing pliers for a Christmas present, probably spent about $50 on them... something I probably wouldn't have bought for myself. I haven't had a chance to use them yet, but they seem nice, and it was a thoughtful gift.

I would imagine that a lot of those types of thing, the Abel and Simms pliers, etc., are purchased as gifts. But then again, there are a lot of folks in the world for whom $150 or $160 isn't really that much money.

jdwy

Reaction score
I won't pay $160 for pliers either, but at the same time ultra cheap tools are not at all the same in function or longevity if you actually use them frequently.
I agree, however there ought to be a middle ground. I was a heavy truck/diesel mechanic all my adult life to support my bad horse, fishing, etc, habits and I'm no genius but I know quality tools, etc, versus cheap, and have an idea what they should be priced at. Or more to the point, there's tools that undergo way more unnecessary expensive production procedures, and visually have more "flair" so a ridiculous price can be charged. Good quality at a reasonable price works for me.

dwizum

Reaction score
It would be difficult to explain it to you. It's something you just have to experience for yourself.
No need to explain. The only thing I like more than fly fishing is turning wrenches - on cars, motorcycles, power equipment, stuff around the house, whatever. I appreciate the difference between a $2 tool and a $20 tool. The reason why I stole the harbor freight pliers for fishing is because I wanted to leave my slightly more expensive pliers in the garage toolbox where they're be safe and the tiny increase in quality might be appreciated. Maybe I should have clarified like a few other people did - I'd be hard pressed to spend more than $2 on fishing pliers given they're likely to get dropped, abused, wet, etc. And, the $2 pliers are gonna be totally fine for the low-intensity work of squishing split shot weights and other fishing tasks. In other words, I agree the farmer who buys a cheap Casio.

And let me re-state my disclaimer again, I didn't intend this to be a flame war thread or a thread to try and to make people who would spend $160 on pliers feel bad. I was honestly just curious if people actually do buy these. They certainly are pretty things. I'd probably be afraid to let myself use them!

lil_ol_angler_me

Reaction score
oddly enough I usually get my Hemostats at HF or a gun show for less than $2
and my nippers are a whopping .99 at the .99 store

buy a couple of each and I'm good for a few years until I lose them or misplace them

then I go spend another $5 for the next few years

red feather troutbum

Reaction score
if you get sticker shock on the Simms option, the Abel's are even more expensive...I held both at a recent show, they are precision tools, pieces of art, but I have no way to justify them, and think if I ever dropped $100-$200 for pliers (or their $50 nippers), their life expectancy would be in direct proportion to their cost; they'd be on the bottom of the river in no time & I'd be doing more drinking than fishing to get over the loss :D

tylersc

Reaction score
I think something like this is mostly purchased as a gift. I would be thrilled to get it but would never buy it for my self

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Personally if I was you I would buy them...then come back here on the forum and post
"Abel Nippers? Ha! I am Jack's smug laugh."

B.E.F.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I have purchased a lot of tools in my lifetime due to working as a professional mechanic, and my hobbies of car restoration and woodworking etc. A large percentage of my tools are not top end and I am certain I have still spent $50,000+ on tools. For me "Worth" is determined tool by tool. It is often measured in "what happens if the tool fails". Stripped bolt head? Cut my thumb off? or maybe a failed tippet nip? That's how I justify spending a lot of money on wrenches and saws, and later that day still determine you guys are clearly nuts when you buy some of these fly fishing gadgets. :)