most effective way of marketing a fly shop

UptownAngler

Reaction score
Just wondering the best way of driving traffic to my retail location and to my Web store. I also book trips so advertising that I think would work and promoting at shows as well but should I do a commercial print in magazines etc any input from people that have has sucessful fly shops or online business ventures

comeonavs

Reaction score
1)Have a robust website with a good database server so you're real time inventory is accurate. It is 2015 and there are a lot of cloud service providers who can do this for you vs you buying the IT infrastructure. Nothing turns me off from visiting a new to me fly shop than a **** website that doesn't give me a sense of what I will see when I arrive. I am not going to drive 30 miles to visit a shop of I see a lame godaddy.com hosted wordpress website. Now if I see a virtual tour and it looks like a cool place I will come by.

2) Major mfg dont let you advertise sales prices so offer free shipping on larger orders.

3) Same as #2, but offer a rewards system ala 5% cash back (store credit)

A Sage rod is a Sage rod so its about the perceived value that differentiates the retailer

UptownAngler

Reaction score
I already have a rewards program in place where you earn 10% back on every purchase

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 PM ----------

We use shopify and shopify pos so my inventory syncs automatically. There's a link in my signature any suggestions would help.... I'm looking at how to get traffic I can build the best site in the world but if no one knows about it then no sales

siege

Reaction score
My favorite local fly shop offers free fly tying classes on Saturdays all winter. Events will get you some traffic. Then you have to keep them coming back. Remember, you only get one chance to make a first impression.
As an example:
Last summer I stopped in a fly shop in Jackson Hole. I saw the salesman watching me as I browsed. The place was as cold feeing as a funeral parlor, and sterile as an operating room. He checked out how I was dressed, and when I got to the rack with their most expensive rods, he walked over and honored me with a little small talk. As he sized up my watch, probably trying to decide if it was real, or a copy, I was headed for the door. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.
I dropped in to another shop farther down town. As I entered, I was greeted warmly. The guys working behind the counter asked if I wanted to see anything, or had questions. From the atmosphere , it was evident that the staff enjoyed working there, were very knowledgeable and engaging, but not pushy. The banter was genuine and friendly, the advice was honest. I spent almost an hour chatting and shoping, spending a lot more money than I had expected to, and enjoyed doing it. The longer you are in a store shopping, the more you find to buy. Next time I go to Jackson, you know who drove my business back to their store.
I buy from people I like being around, and I keep going back to them.

Last edited:

waterfordcreek

Reaction score
Great advise by Siege and comeonavs.

Agreed....100%. A GREAT website AND an inviting, warm shop is paramount.

You have to give your customers a reason to return. Provide something of value.

Again, A well written, DAILY fishing report. Not some **** shoot blog, thats never updated. Educate, entertain and advise.

The benefits of the daily report....done well.....can be an amazing way to engage your customers and sales. Would be a bit to much to explain here.

Seminars....Seminars....Seminars. Always free. CCA style!! Which is another great avenue. I know....to much politics......but worth it.

Monthly FREE seminars and workshops. Have an event.....provide food.

Fly tying 101
Kids event
Intro to Fly fishing
Casting

You understand. All providing something of value and a reason to return.

Keep your customers engaged or someone else will.

Print media....Meh......:cool:...only if you are looking for a low ROI.

Most local cable companies will also produce 1/2 shows on the cheap. Easy to sell advertising.....another great opportunity. They need the content!!!

Marketing aside. Your staff is your number one asset. Not only do they need to have the knowledge...teaching skills.personality..etc.....but must HAVE the the ability to cross sell and well.....have the repeat customer leaving with a new stick, reel and line. Loving the experience..........If you dont have that. No reason to even market.

The best part.....you have sooo many marketing tools that are flat out inexpensive and most importantly...WORK!

Remember....YOUR THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN.

wolfglen

Reaction score
What made many old timers successful was being open evenings at least a couple of times a week. Yes, I know that people don't want to give up their evenings, but if you want to be successful at least try it. Evening fly tying classes are great and even if you don't, you can at least tie flies, repair rods/reels, tie leaders, something of value.

I've seen too many tackle shops go down because the owners didn't want to be in the store or when they did they just played soap oprays or played bridge.

It's the inter personal relationship you build with your customers which is the bedrock upon small shops exist.

Try this: Go to your local organizations: Masons, KC, Elks, local churches and such and offer an introductionary course in fly fishing. Just an hour on casting, one on equipment and an hour's fly tying exhibition with a $25 price tag which you donate to THEIR organization.

don't think that everything you do has to come back immediately

In the quarter century I spent as a rep I doubt if I really made much more than minimum wage on the average but I worked 80 hrs a week.

When you're working you are not spending money wastefully and when you're fishing you're making new customers potentially.,

ts47

Reaction score
I have someone here locally that owns a small fly shop. His shop is on the banks of a good for the area trout stream.

1. He knows that stream and others near by very well. He can always make a good recommendation on what fly is likely to catch fish or hatching at any point.
2. He does "weekly" fishing updates.
3. He engages people through Facebook and email lists with occasional updates, photos and notices of new products, photos from local fish caught and from guide trips, and announcements of anything going on at the shop including classes. Hmm, I JUST got an email from him saying the shop will be closed today due to bad weather. Nice! The weather we are having DOES warrant him closing.
4. He offers guide trips.
5. He offers occasional classes, casting, fly tying, etc. and a once a year beginner's class that is 5 days long.. I don't think you need to kill yourself here. Giving customers a reason to come into the store is important though. You can charge for some or private lessons.
6. He is involved with local fishing clubs. Because he IS a local expert, he gives occasional presentations at monthly meetings, offers a spot in his shop for clubs to do a fly tying class/meeting. TU has done a number of stream beautification projects at the trout stream behind his shop.

Notice that you haven't spent any money yet...

7. Keep your inventory up and relevant. You are no good to me if I need to tie a "whatever bug is hatching" and you are missing half the materials. If I can go to your shop and buy what I need most of the time, I'll keep coming back. This applies to more than just fly tying.
8. Take phone orders, even if you make me prepay for them. Consider drop shipping.
9. Website (already discussed) Consider as one more option, free shipping to the store with any size order. Fly fishers LOVE to hang out in fly shops. Give us a chance to save a buck on shipping AND visit a fly shop, and we'll often jump at it. Saving money on shipping is also a good excuse to use with the wife! ;-)
10. Understand the consequences of your advice. If you tell me a hare's ear is the nymph to use and I don't catch fish, it's YOUR fault. If you tell me that a hare's ear is what I should use and disclose that having the right technique when fishing it is important (consider fishing tips when certain anglers may need it. also an opportunity to sell a book or video), and I don't catch fish, I will come back to your shop for more info AND spend more money if you honestly try to help me. (another opportunity to sell a book or dvd or a guide trip where you or someone from your shop can teach him)
11. SELL (like #10), but do it in a helpful way.
12. Make friends with guides. You can trade clients back and forth.
13. BE the source for fly fishing in your area.
14. If you can do some or all of the above and are a good customer service oriented shop owner that does offer good info to your clients, you DON'T have to be the cheapest guy in town. You DO still need to pay attention to your prices though. We want you to make money and be successful. We just don't want to go broke shopping there and you need to be "somewhat" competitive.
15. Offer incentives, half price or free fly line if they buy a full setup and depending on the price of the setup, winter fly tying sale to drive traffic and sales during off season (can be done in conjunction with winter tying classes)
16. In 14 and 15 I'm trying to say, don't sell on price, but find a way to create value and be fair.
17. Other ideas on sales, 10% off new fly lines or waders or (get ready for spring sale). Look at your annual sales. Choose your least productive months and find a reason (class or promotion) to get clients into your store. Your incentive ideas (rewards) can be good, the incentives don't need to be too high though. If someone takes a class, a possibility could be to offer a discount on (that product) following the class. Be creative. If Scott won't let you offer an incentive on their rod, offer an incentive on the reel or fly line or rewards certificate or...

Others have posted great ideas as well.

18. The shop does not have to be perfect. Rustic, rough cut hand made shelves that are neat and organized can be better than pretty, nice paint, etc.

This is everything for now. Hope it's helpful.

Todd

EDIT: As you build the business, you can build the internet, as you build the internet, you will build more profits... Think - this is a process, not an event.

One more: Find cheaper ways to do things over time. Tiemco may be the best hook. Daiichi <sp> may be a better value. If you educate your clients and offer options, you can sell to both sides - those that want the best and those that are value minded. This idea can be translated to other gear as well. You can even create a house branded line for some materials as long as they are decent materials. Never sell junk!

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 AM ----------

19. Make friends with other fly shop owners. You and Wild4alaska should get together and share ideas.
20. Keep asking questions here on America's best darned fly fishing forum!! :D

Last edited:

UptownAngler

Reaction score
I am wild4alaska they changed my name on here when I became a business member that you for the great list you just provided. I will be offering fly tying classes just trying to find the most effective wAy to get traffic in the store. We are in downtown New Orleans and the only fly shop in New Orleans.

lake flyer

Reaction score
Our local fly fishing club has twice been invited to have our monthly meeting hosted by local flyshops. It got us out to a different location from our normal meeting place and introduced us to the owners of the shops.

ts47

Reaction score
I am wild4alaska they changed my name on here when I became a business member that you for the great list you just provided. I will be offering fly tying classes just trying to find the most effective wAy to get traffic in the store. We are in downtown New Orleans and the only fly shop in New Orleans.
The best advice I can offer is to start by creating a niche. Be the guy that has the info for the type of fish folks want in your area both in the store and on the net. I can't speak to search engine optimization and that sort of thing.

The next step would be to locate those people locally and around the country and market you niche to them. "Fish on the Fly in the Gulf" as a likely bad example of a niche, but hopefully makes the point. "Fish Louisiana" is another. A training class for your local fishing clubs, business card sized add in the newsletter, talks at their monthly meetings. Regionally and/or nationally, get involved with ?fishing associations and promote yourself. Make friends if possible, simple brochure or handout or business card at any kind of gathering.

Find out who those big names are that pioneered or wrote "good" books on whatever type of "fly" fishing your niche is. Salt water fly fishing was pioneered by Lefty Kreh as an example and IF this is an appropriate nice. Have those books and use that knowledge and name dropping to create personal relevance and educate those people you market to. You may or may not have much to be Googled about. If you attach yourself to Lefty Kreh again as an example, there is plenty to Google about them. Be careful how you use this. You don't want to get sued. Talking about these people, giving classes sharing the information and selling their books is completely appropriate though.

I'm rambling, but hope this is helpful and/or spawns some ideas. Again, this is a process, not an event - or a lot of little events that lead toward an end result.

Get a few of your clients to write on-line reviews for your fly shop. I just Googled Louisiana fly shops. You turned up, but with no reviews. Be the best little fly shop in Louisiana!! Without reviews, I'll call the Orvis add first simply because I don't know your name and have no reviews to base a decision on.

Google Fly Fishing Louisiana and see if there are any reputable organizations you can get involved with or listed on their web sites. Would becoming an authorized Orvis store help?

There should be a hundred little ideas that can get spawned, most of which shouldn't require a lot of money.

Todd

EDIT: Guides! There are a thousand guides down there for redfish and all kinds of stuff. Who are these guides buying from? Is there a relationship where you could get access to their client base or trade business back and forth?

tbblom

Reaction score
You only sell 5 rods; 2 are in the 700-800$ range, 1 in the 400$ range, and two entry level combos in the 200-300$ range. The TFO combo is sold out.

So, the website is doing well enough to sell out of some items. That is a good sign! Now you just need to up your inventory a bit. I'm not surprised that the entry level package is what sold out (hint hint).

Many travelers have already blown too much money on their trips, they can't really justify buying a 400-800$ rod that gets used maybe once a year, which is why the affordable rods are sold out. People just starting out fly fishing or switching from light tackle will not understand paying that much for a rod when their spin combo cost less than 100$ and they caught a ton of fish on it.

In classic economic terms... you want to sell to everyone, not just the high end market. That is how you maximize sales; by selling to everyone under the supply/demand curve.
If you are the only store in the local market, and you are the equivalent of a BMW dealer, then you are only selling to the affluent. This means that you will lose out on sales to the 'less-rich' to closeout stores and Cabelas.

You don't have to sell junk... Lamson and echo make affordable reels, reddington sells affordable rods and reels. I've used and abused both and they hold up.
An entry level kayak would probably sell... A $1500 kayak costs as much as some people's cars.

When I perceive to be ignored at a shop or oversold something expensive I don't need, I end up buying online at the prices I can afford.
Why is a terminator crab $15? Looks like the simplest pattern on earth!

I started fly fishing in college, and have always had a limited budget to spend on tackle. This doesn't mean I don't own 10 rods and 6 reels, it just means I found them somewhere that gave me the deal I needed. When I can, I support small shops, but I've never been a BMW guy!

wolfglen

Reaction score
You only sell 5 rods; 2 are in the 700-800$ range, 1 in the 400$ range, and two entry level combos in the 200-300$ range. The TFO combo is sold out.

So, the website is doing well enough to sell out of some items. That is a good sign! Now you just need to up your inventory a bit. I'm not surprised that the entry level package is what sold out (hint hint).

Many travelers have already blown too much money on their trips, they can't really justify buying a 400-800$ rod that gets used maybe once a year, which is why the affordable rods are sold out. People just starting out fly fishing or switching from light tackle will not understand paying that much for a rod when their spin combo cost less than 100$ and they caught a ton of fish on it.

In classic economic terms... you want to sell to everyone, not just the high end market. That is how you maximize sales; by selling to everyone under the supply/demand curve.
If you are the only store in the local market, and you are the equivalent of a BMW dealer, then you are only selling to the affluent. This means that you will lose out on sales to the 'less-rich' to closeout stores and Cabelas.

You don't have to sell junk... Lamson and echo make affordable reels, reddington sells affordable rods and reels. I've used and abused both and they hold up.
An entry level kayak would probably sell... A $1500 kayak costs as much as some people's cars.

When I perceive to be ignored at a shop or oversold something expensive I don't need, I end up buying online at the prices I can afford.
Why is a terminator crab $15? Looks like the simplest pattern on earth!

I started fly fishing in college, and have always had a limited budget to spend on tackle. This doesn't mean I don't own 10 rods and 6 reels, it just means I found them somewhere that gave me the deal I needed. When I can, I support small shops, but I've never been a BMW guy!
Seeing the comment about a fly being expensive but looking simple. A number of years (probably about 30) ago I tied a fly called the Ugly Mother and some a number of them through World Class Angler in Marathon, Lehr's in N. Ft. Myers, Captain Harry's and such.

A few years later I got a call from a friend that he had a fly he would like me to tie and send one of the patterns to me. He said he bought it from a guide somewhere in the Carribean and that it was the hottest fly the guide had ever seen for permit. He paid $30 for it and thought he was lucky to get it form the guide as he had paid$20 for it. The guide bought a few from a client who had paid something like $15 for it from a fellow who bought them from World Class angler for $10 for which I'd charged the dealer $5.

It was a deer hair clipped, compressed and epoxied body tied in an inverted style with the hook up and weighted with two crescent shaped thin pieces of lead on the side to ride down with a glass worm rattle imbedded, cut chamois legs, extended eyes and airbrushed with even the crab apron stenciled in. I could do about two an hour of them so I wasn't getting rich, but it seemed that everyone who horse traded them along the way made more than I did on them.

gatorgrizz27

Reaction score
I just stumbled across this and would like to offer my input. I'm a small business owner myself and the advertising/marketing world is changing quickly. It's important to look at building store sales and online sales separately, they usually aren't related. Some of the biggest online retailers don't even have stores, and if I am local to you I will probably never order online. Your website can drive local traffic to the store though.

The store itself looks really cool, but there are few pictures of it on the website. The home page shows images of trout fishing out west, in Louisiana I'd much rather see I picture of a redfish being held up with a fly in it's mouth. The online store is a little difficult to navigate, I don't like having to click through a bunch of menus to narrow categories down, and it prevents me from seeing things I may not be shopping for but realize I need when I see them. It's a necessary evil for huge inventories like Cabela's, but a "browse fly fishing" button would be nice, and can make the inventory seem larger.

I also agree about the lower priced outfits, it's great to carry high end rods, but you may sell 10 $200 rods for every 1 $600 rod. You did a great job on your Facebook page of posting the pic of the Patagonia hats, with the offer to "come get 'em while they're hot." Offering tips and reviews that people will follow can drive online sales down the road.

Finally, branding is key. The shirts you have are really cool, but most of the other stuff can be gotten elsewhere. You mention being the only fly shop in New Orleans, talk yourself up! You can be "your one stop fly fishing destination", or "the premier fly fishing outfitter", or "New Orleans original fly shop", uncontested, just don't brag about being the "only" :cool:

Also, while you may have a lot of foot traffic, if you are in a downtown, congested area, advertise that you are easy to get to and have plenty of parking if that is the case. When shopping locally, a lot of times it is inconvenient to deal with the hassle of downtown, and if I can pull right up and park in front or across the street it is a huge bonus!

Finally, along the lines of marketing, it may be worthwhile to at least consider a rebranding/name change. Do a survey and it may not be worth it with, with the expenses of sign changes, etc. To me, "Uptown Angler", conveys more a sense of Orvis luggage, leather loafers, and the wealthy southern lifestyle than it does serious fishermen. Something like "Crescent City Fly Shop" has an appeal to me as both a tourist and an online shopper. People love New Orleans, use it to your advantage.

Best of luck to you, I'll be sure to stop in next time I'm in town.

roguebum

Reaction score
Consider drop shipping items on your online storefront that you may not carry inventory for in the shop. I have a number of websites that have requested our products for drop shipping online because the margins may not justify giving up prime real estate in their brick and mortar shops, but the price point encourages fly fishers to buy without taking out a loan. Once they buy less expense rods/reels from you, they will be more likely to come back to you for the big ticket items later. Plus, it gives you more of a well rounded product base for keyword searches online without any real monetary investment. ;)

tex

Reaction score
There are 2 shops around me. One is right off the freeway, can't miss them. The other is a little further out. The one right off the freeway is horrible. The manager is condescending and treats customers poorly. They do a good business because they are very visible off of the road, but everyone I know hates shopping there. The other shop, while further away and harder to get to, is very welcoming and does a good business with return customers.

When I was starting out, I was treated like **** from the first place, my questions were blown off and they lost interest when I wasn't interested in buying a high end rod/reel/waders/boots/etc all right up front. They avoid making any recommendations about flies beyond generic and constantly push their guide services for more information.

The second shop will talk for hours, give recommendations and even teach you how to cast without any pressure.

Guess which one I have spent SIGNIFICANTLY more money at???

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
There are 2 shops around me. One is right off the freeway, can't miss them. The other is a little further out. The one right off the freeway is horrible. The manager is condescending and treats customers poorly. They do a good business because they are very visible off of the road, but everyone I know hates shopping there. The other shop, while further away and harder to get to, is very welcoming and does a good business with return customers.

When I was starting out, I was treated like **** from the first place, my questions were blown off and they lost interest when I wasn't interested in buying a high end rod/reel/waders/boots/etc all right up front. They avoid making any recommendations about flies beyond generic and constantly push their guide services for more information.

The second shop will talk for hours, give recommendations and even teach you how to cast without any pressure.

Guess which one I have spent SIGNIFICANTLY more money at???
I hear you Tex. Little in the way of 'fly shops' here in the Rogue River Valley ... which is odd. But have two places from which I buy. Pick up the telephone and call ... 'Here's what I need (or think I need) ...' 'Can you hold on for a couple of minutes while I confirm we have that in the shop?'

Why yes I can; "GOT IT, same address and I'll need your credit card number." BANG and I just spent $100.00 some dollars. It's good to be old, and single ... you don't have a wife asking about your credit card bill. :rolleyes:

ts47

Reaction score
Consider drop shipping items on your online storefront that you may not carry inventory for in the shop. I have a number of websites that have requested our products for drop shipping online because the margins may not justify giving up prime real estate in their brick and mortar shops, but the price point encourages fly fishers to buy without taking out a loan. Once they buy less expense rods/reels from you, they will be more likely to come back to you for the big ticket items later. Plus, it gives you more of a well rounded product base for keyword searches online without any real monetary investment. ;)
He's got a point. If possible, you should try to never let a customer walk out the door because they couldn't find where looking for. You should try to have enough supplier relationships where their stock can be your stock. Special orders and drop shipping are a small business owner's friend.

I guess the only caveat I would offer is not to take the above statement too literally. You need to decide what your definition of good business practices are when it comes trying to fulfill every need of every customer. It needs to be done within reason.

spm

Reaction score
In reading the above responses, you can see a common thread ...SERVICE! You are competing with every local and online fly shop out there. You have to offer something they don't. Assuming all the mechanics are in place as far as inventory, website, etc., you have to make your customers feel welcome. Yes, you are there to sell them something, and they know that. But if you do it in a way that makes it appear secondary, you will win them over. And you don't have to be the cheapest store in town to succeed. You can be competitive without being the cheapest, and service can trump price. I was in retailing my entire career, with both small and large companies and I saw it every day. SERVICE, SERVICE, SERVICE.

Best of luck,
steve