The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2008, 04:43 PM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Question Bluegill, Crappie Flies : Float or Nymph

I'm not sure if we have discussed this or not, but here goes.

If you out in the river, or on your favorite lake & you find a
great spot filled with panfish which fly will you put on your
leader ? Do you snip off the Elk Hair Caddis & reach for a
size 10 popper, or do you reach in the other box & grab
a special nymph your Father taught you to tie ?

For me it's the latter. I still have a box filled with my Father's
special "Water Crickett". I've even caught big smallies on this
fly. I would like to hear what you think & which might be your
"reach for" panfish fly.

Spring is coming & so is some great fishing,

Tie One On
Old 03-19-2008, 07:32 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bluegill, Crappie Flies : Float or Nymph

I used to use sponge spiders 90% of the time, and tiny popers the rest of the time. Then about 6 years ago, at the suggestion of another fisher, I tied a hare's ear nymph on a dropper to a popper. I caught 75% 0f my fish on the nymph, so I ditched the popper and just use the nymph.

Now my go-to fly is a #12 Olive Bead Head Wooly Bugger. It catches the most and largest bluegills, and an occasional bass. (Hook up on a 14" or larger smallie on a 7 foot 4 weight rod and you'll have some fun.) I've even out-fished guys in my same boat while they were using live crickets and worms.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 03-19-2008, 10:46 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

I use small streamers, nymphs, and other small wet flies. Thing is I dont get much of a chance to catch the fish when they would be after surface baits. My best crappy fly was a 2" minnow imatator. Small wooly buggers have worked as well. Though there are a lot of patterns that will work, I try and stay with aquatic larva looking patterns and small minnows. Oh and dont over look scud patterns.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I would probably try sinking the Caddis first, if that didn't work then I would go to the nymph or a wet fly, if that didn't work then I would change out the tippet and try a minnow imitation, if that didn't work then I would head back to the truck for a cold beer!!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-21-2008, 07:57 AM

jackmcmanus21 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
I would probably try sinking the Caddis first, if that didn't work then I would go to the nymph or a wet fly, if that didn't work then I would change out the tippet and try a minnow imitation, if that didn't work then I would head back to the truck for a cold beer!!
I like to start off with a cold beer....sets a good tone for the rest of the day!
Old 03-21-2008, 09:20 AM

FoulHooked is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmcmanus21 View Post
I like to start off with a cold beer....sets a good tone for the rest of the day!
Agreed.

I often find myself in the midst of a roaming panfish surface-feeding-frenzy on one particular lake (pumpkinseed, bluegill, shiners, perch, pint-sized bass), and it doesn't seem to matter what's offered. I'll usually have a small popper or big bushy dry with a hare's ear nymph or midge larva dropper...I'll get a fish on almost every cast, and although it can sometimes be a hassle, about 30% of the time, on both flies. Near the end of an afternoon on the lake, it's a welcome change of pace from working hard to find the "better" fish on the lake. The shiners kinda smell though.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:29 AM

panfisher1125 is on a distinguished road

i love fishing with the floating black spiders on my 5wt only thing is you hook into some pretty nice bass on the lakes i fish but it makes it more fun!!
Old 03-22-2008, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmcmanus21 View Post

Fishing tip #2166384.
Always leave one vest pocket open for a can of beer.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-22-2008, 11:44 PM

FlyRichardFly will become famous soon enoughFlyRichardFly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie one on View Post
I'm not sure if we have discussed this or not, but here goes.

If you out in the river, or on your favorite lake & you find a
great spot filled with panfish which fly will you put on your
leader ? Do you snip off the Elk Hair Caddis & reach for a
size 10 popper, or do you reach in the other box & grab
a special nymph your Father taught you to tie ?

For me it's the latter. I still have a box filled with my Father's
special "Water Crickett". I've even caught big smallies on this
fly. I would like to hear what you think & which might be your
"reach for" panfish fly.

Spring is coming & so is some great fishing,

Tie One On
Tie, are you also a member of RiverSmallies or the Bass Barn? I remember the name!

You have just touched my heart. Panfish with a flyrod are almost as good as trout!

Topwater is good, a small popper. But a unweighted size 10 bugger with a 5wt is like "Nirvana" to me!!

Things are starting,
Rick
Old 03-25-2008, 12:45 PM

Reactor has a spectacular aura aboutReactor has a spectacular aura about

I usually let the fish decide on what I'm going to put on the line.
If they are spawning I'll put a No.10 streamer on the line. If the spawn is over then I'll try top water dry flies. Usually as the water warms up I'll fish higher in the water column.
I save my poorly tied dry flies for Panfish. They have a tendency to tear them up.
Usually Crappie like to hold at a ceartain depth. Streamers and wet flies let me slowly sink the fly by them.