The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2015, 01:04 PM

nastygunz is on a distinguished road
Default ? The weirdest...

... Thing you have hauled out of the water on your flyrod?...I was stripping in a streamer once and got a good hit and was bringing it in and it felt heavy but sort of odd and when I got it up to shore it was a big painted turtle!

Wildinthewoods.proboards.com
Old 03-08-2015, 01:16 PM

royalcoach is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ? The weirdest...

Was fishing for reds down out of Captiva/Sanibel Fla a few years back when I saw a disturbance on the water not far from me. Cast a shrimp pattern to it and felt a slight bump. Set my hook on what I first thought was a log. Then the log started moving. Some kind of big ass sea ray .... barbed tail and spots and wing span was over 4 foot. Damn thing had my last shrimp fly hooked in its ugly puss. As I was reaching for the fly with my long needle nose pliers I made the mistake of high-sticking my rod .... the ray flapped his wings ... and I broke the tip of my new 9wt. Thankfully I brought a back up 9wt on that trip.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:59 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

I've caught some odd things over the years, but off the top of my head, I'd have to say a flying bat and a really big bullfrog.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 03-08-2015, 08:21 PM

siege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond reputesiege has a reputation beyond repute

I pulled in an old pair of Levi's once. Stories I already told in other threads on the forum include a bat and a huge pelican. I caught a working Mag Light on a keyring. I still use it.
But the most interesting caught and lost was in Miami. We were fishing from the catwalk under the causeway, when something started pulling out my line. I couldn't stop it or slow it. No change in speed or pressure no matter what I did. I was left with an empty spool and a stupid look on my face. Best guess so far ? Nuclear Submarine.
ia_trouter likes this.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:02 PM

djergensen is on a distinguished road

Last year I was fishing at a lake... It was dirt behind me, so I let my backcast fall to the ground. I was talking to a friend. When I shot the line forward, there was a ground squirrel flying through the air, and then swimming in the water! I reeled him in unhooked the fly, and released him back to his hole......
Old 03-08-2015, 09:07 PM

fly_guy12955 has much to be proud offly_guy12955 has much to be proud offly_guy12955 has much to be proud offly_guy12955 has much to be proud offly_guy12955 has much to be proud offly_guy12955 has much to be proud offly_guy12955 has much to be proud offly_guy12955 has much to be proud of

Caught a rock while nymphing a few years back. No joke,,,I guess the barb hooked a crevice or something and I pulled it in,,,it just fell off the fly as I touched it,, so I don't think it was 'hooked' as much as just 'hung.' Still pretty weird ,,catching a rock lol

Mike
Old 03-08-2015, 11:57 PM

nastygunz is on a distinguished road

Now that's funny!...imagine if you were reeling him in and a big bass slammed him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djergensen View Post
Last year I was fishing at a lake... It was dirt behind me, so I let my backcast fall to the ground. I was talking to a friend. When I shot the line forward, there was a ground squirrel flying through the air, and then swimming in the water! I reeled him in unhooked the fly, and released him back to his hole......

---------- Post added at 11:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 PM ----------

These great stories made me think of a couple other hook ups I had over the years, one being I was standing on a beaver dam fishing a tiny little trout pond in the wilds of Vermont and back cast hooked my younger brother in the upper lip with a white Miller fly. Then at the Light house in York Maine I was striper fishing and hooked a scuba diver who was not too happy ha ha.
carp and bass likes this.

Wildinthewoods.proboards.com
Old 03-09-2015, 04:53 AM

slowdown is a jewel in the roughslowdown is a jewel in the roughslowdown is a jewel in the rough

For me, it was a duck. Fishing on the Holston during a very nice Sulfur hatch. Casting to rising fish, when a flock of ducks were cruising by them. I cast to a large fish, a duck swam over, ate the fly, hooked himself and took off flying. I set the hook and fought him to the water before he took off again snapping the line. I watched him swim over 10' or more, eat the fly and set. It was like watching a car wreck - I saw it coming but was so mesmerized I couldn't get that fly out of the way.
carp and bass and nastygunz like this.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:19 PM

clay tonian will become famous soon enough

I hooked a frigate bird while casting to a school of bar jacks off of Cancun...melted the drag on my cheap Redington reel.

And a bat.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:58 PM

lake flyer will become famous soon enoughlake flyer will become famous soon enough

A month ago I caught/snagged a dead bullfrog while swinging flies for steelhead. Even in 33 degree water that bullfrog was pretty ripe. No telling how long it had been dead, kind of thought most had dug down to hibernate in November. Glad I was fishing barbless hooks, didn't have to touch it, just used the forceps and released it.