The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2008, 10:28 AM

scoobydue4 is on a distinguished road
Question Leader length

Hi guys, I was wondering in what situations would you go from a 9' leader to a 7 1/2' leader? I figure I will use a longer leader for trout to get more distance between the fly line and the fly, but would there be a situation where I might want to use a shorter leader? And would the tippet be shorter on a shorter leader, or is the length shortened on the butt section? Or both?
Thanks guys,
Brian.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:26 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Leader length

when nymphing it sometimes pays to use a shorter leader / tippet connection as this will give you better line control & enable you to watch for hits, especially if you have a floating line. For dry fly work you can end up with a tippet leader connection of up to 12 ' & that's way too long for nymphing...
Old 03-20-2008, 11:32 AM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

I sometimes even go down to 5-6' when streamer fishing
Old 03-20-2008, 11:57 AM

Joe D is on a distinguished road

Use as long a leader as you have to, and as short as you can get away with.

Streamer fishing with a sink tip often sees no more than three or four feet of leader.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Windy conditions when fishing dries, I will often times shorten whatever overall length leader I'm using, normally leave my tippet the usual length.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 03-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

7 1/2' for me...all the time, except when stillwater deep nymphing. You can always add more tippet and it won't effect the casting that much. I am talking maybe 3' on a 7 1/2' tippet, but I use like a 4X leader and 5X tippet.
I have used 12' on gin clear waters, but that is a trick for sure.
I just make it easy on myself and buy 7 1/2' in 4X 5X and that covers about everything I do. But I do use 6 lb. fluoro on my deep nymphing in sometimes 30'.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:29 PM

scoobydue4 is on a distinguished road

I'll start off using 7 1/2' leaders then. Thanks everybody!
Old 03-21-2008, 08:53 AM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road

Will shortning the butt end of a 9' leader affect the action? Also what length would be a good starting point for small creeks that require fairly short casts with size 14-18 flies?
Thanks
Old 03-21-2008, 08:56 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

9' for dry flies and nymphs. 7 1/2' for streamers. X factor depends on water conditions and the fish. Generally 4x-7x for dries and nymphs. 0x-3x for streamers. Only time I've ever used 8x was fishing trico hatches on Tulpahocken creek in Reading PA. Hardest flies I've ever had to tie on!!!! That was 15yrs ago and I would not want to try it now with out a magnifying glass!!! LOL.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-21-2008, 09:02 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

FlyDog

Never shorten the butt. If you get to light in the butt section the leader will not turn over properly. If you have to go shot for small water start with a 7 1/2 cut back the tippet end.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures