The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By gfirob
  • 1 Post By mt_flyfisher

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2015, 01:24 PM

gfirob is just really nicegfirob is just really nicegfirob is just really nicegfirob is just really nicegfirob is just really nice
Default Patagonia wading boots suck (only not any more)

So, I was a big booster of the Patagonia Rock Grip wading boots with the aluminum bars when I first got them two years ago. They were better than felt and (once you got past feeling like you were walking on old beer cans in the river) they provided a real sense of security on those slippery rocks, especially for these old knees.

Then they started to fall apart (the boots, not my knees). The screws fell out. The uppers began to tear along the creases. The laces wore out early. And I had purchased them when they first came on the market for about $250. They were made in Thailand, where evidently they used old condoms for the uppers.

And so, after two or two and half years, I called Patagonia up and complained. “Oh, send them back.” they said. “We have a new version of that boot and we will credit the entire purchase price of the old boots against the cost of the new boots.”

So I got a brand new pair of Patagonia Foot Tractor Wading for about $20 additional dollars. These new boots are beautifully put together, with several significant improvements. The uppers are much more substantial, they have drain panels in them, sticky rubber lugged sole, (a big improvement of the smooth slippery soles of the previous boot) with inset multi-directional gripping aluminum bars (much better than the rectangular bars on the old boot) and an overall heavier-duty construction.

Given that the rivers here are still solid ice, all I have been able to do with these boots is walk around my living room in them (to the delight of my wife who thinks I am destroying the rugs) but the thaw has already begun.

Since the basic concept of soft aluminum bars on the soles of the boots is very good I can only suppose that these will be as effective as the old boots in the river. I can’t wait to try them out.

I see the old boots are being remaindered here and there, and they would probably be a good deal if the price got low enough (but it would have to be pretty low). But these new boots are such an improvement that I forgive Patagonia for the error of their ways, and I really appreciate their level of customer service.
mcnerney and ptarmigan like this.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:27 PM

jjack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Patagonia wading boots suck (only not any more)

I saw these at the Fly Fishing Film Tour,

JJack want
Old 03-12-2015, 04:38 PM

mt_flyfisher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Patagonia wading boots suck (only not any more)

Patagonia has fantastic customer service, similar to LL Bean's, and a few others.

If you are not satisfied with any of their products, let them know and they will resolve it, in my experience.

The only complaint I have with Patagonia is that they have redesigned some of their clothing to make them more trim, and they no longer fit muscular (read as: heavyset) people such as me.

John
mcnerney likes this.