The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2008, 01:46 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Speaking of New Gear through the Front Door, My Wife is an Enabler...

The local (used to be local until we moved last year) outfitter decided to
get rid of their made int he USA rods, and just carry TFO and chinese St. Croix fly rods. They have two St. Croix Legend Ultra rods marked down to
$189 (these are IPC models): a 9' 5wt and an 8'6" 4wt. They looked great when we were there this past weekend, and my wife said "Buy 'Em".
I have two 5wt's and two 4wt's: 7'6" St. Croix Imperial 2-pc, and 7'6" SCII
2-pc. The 5wt's are Diamondback 8'6" Aeroflex(es) , one 2-pc and the other a
3-pc. The Aeroflex rods are still under warranty, but only if they have the
sections I need left. The 4wt's are no longer under warranty as fas as I
know.

Question: If you were me (scary thought ), would you buy the LU's and
sell one each of the 4 and 5 wts that I already have? Not buy the LU's at
all. Seek psychiatric help?

I like rods that break down into 3 and 4 pieces, so........

P.S. I fish from a canoe a LOT, so the 9' rod might be a help there.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:28 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Speaking of New Gear through the Front Door, My Wife is an Enabler...

So, my Imperial is made in the US, right? Like most people, I bought St. Croix because they are USA made. I hope to move up to an Avid, which still is US-made, according to their website.

NOw I have to find out if my Premier spinning rods are Chinese or not.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:48 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speaking of New Gear through the Front Door, My Wife is an Enabler...

The Imperial was made in the USA. St. Croix began selling chinese rods
with the Premier fly rods. That line replaced the USA made Pro Graphite*. My St. Croix Premier spinning rods have Made in USA right on the rod. When I bought the spinning rods last Summer, they were next to the Triumph made in China spinning rods. They price difference was $20, and now that store only carries the Triumph chinese rods. A "triumph" for who...?

*The Imperial and Pro Graphite were dropped at the same time.