Reddington

wyobowhunter21

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I need to vent. I was cleaning up my fly tying/fly fishing room and a jar of feathers fell on my only fly rod. Not to mention my first fly rod. I am devastated. I have no clue what to do now. I was extremely excited to get into fly fishing and then I break my rod before I even get to fish with it. Alright I appreciate you all letting me vent. Back to pouting.

Vulpes

Reaction score
Im shocked you spent money on fly tying stuff with only one rod and not had it in a super safe place.

wyobowhunter21

Reaction score
Im shocked you spent money on fly tying stuff with only one rod and not had it in a super safe place.

It was all given to me from my great grandpa after he passed away. I haven't had to buy anything but the rod and reel. Thanks for posting.

wyobowhunter21

Reaction score
It shattered the rod right below one of the eyes on the second section. And no kidding. I am kicking myself. I should have been paying more attention when I was moving everything. I just had taken it out of the tube. I was looking at everything. I am still learning the knots etc. so I like to learn. This last weekend was the first time I had any instruction on casting and I got pumped and had planned to do some park casting tomorrow evening.

wyobowhunter21

Reaction score
Okay. That gives me a little hope. I will take it as a lesson learned. I just wish it would have happened with a fish instead of my stupidity and excitement. Thanks for the kind advice and hope ia_trouter.

williamhj

Reaction score
Many of us have broken rods - usually looking back it could have been avoided if we'd been more careful but hey, that's life. We all mess up sometimes. Really sucks that it was a rod from your grandpa though, I've never broken one that is sentimental. Some rod builders could do a repair, but likely would change the rod action. Doubt it is worth it just based on the value of the rod, though may be based on the sentimental value. No fun at all.

lthrnk03

Reaction score
Redington has a decent warranty. Lifetime I believe. That doesn't help you this minute but you may be able to get it fixed (more likely replaced) for a reasonable fee.

+1 on this. Most reputable companies have very good warranty programs. Contact redington and I bet they will help you out.

wyobowhunter21

Reaction score
Well I did send them an email explaining what happened and asked for a cost estimate. We will see what they say. I don't think that this rod is under the lifetime warranty.

dwizum

Reaction score
Just for reference, in case you haven't found it yet:

Redington Warranty - Customer Service | Redington Fly Fishing

Looks like lifetime on all rods except Crosswater, Minnow, and Topo which are all a year each.

I'd still definitely pursue asking them for help regardless of warranty status, good companies are often interested in going above and beyond. I don't have experience with Redington myself but from what I've seen they have a positive reputation.

myobangling87

Reaction score
Northeast United States, Earth, Sol System, Milky
I was going to buy one of Reddingtons 4 weight outfits but I decided not too. Apparently they don't put backing on the fly reel and they just install the fly line straight on the reel. Yeah ,it's an easy fix but I contract with my local fly man to put backing and fly line on my gear. I didn't want to be hassled with the effort when I can get another assembled outfit from another company(Orvis) that puts backing and fly line already on it from the get go.

lthrnk03

Reaction score
Well I did send them an email explaining what happened and asked for a cost estimate. We will see what they say. I don't think that this rod is under the lifetime warranty.
It might not be covered under a lifetime warranty. However, companies like Redington know that all it takes is one positive experience with a company to make a life long customer. Social media can literally make or break a company.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

I was going to buy one of Reddingtons 4 weight outfits but I decided not too. Apparently they don't put backing on the fly reel and they just install the fly line straight on the reel. Yeah ,it's an easy fix but I contract with my local fly man to put backing and fly line on my gear. I didn't want to be hassled with the effort when I can get another assembled outfit from another company(Orvis) that puts backing and fly line already on it from the get go.
imho.... a company not putting backing on a reel is a trivial issue. If you're buying a combo outfit, the chances that they are putting a quality fly line on is slim. So the is a higher probability that you will want to put on a quality fly line shortly after you get to set up. Just my .02

yikes

Reaction score
I was going to buy one of Reddingtons 4 weight outfits but I decided not too. Apparently they don't put backing on the fly reel and they just install the fly line straight on the reel. Yeah ,it's an easy fix
The easy fix is to come fish in the skinny waters of So Cal. Any line beyond the first 25' will never see the light of day!

wyobowhunter21

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Still no call/email back. I didn't know about the backing part. I was given this rod as a wedding gift from my dad. Didn't have the money to buy one. It's the cross water. I guess now it's time to save some money and tie flies in the meantime.

lthrnk03

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Still no call/email back. I didn't know about the backing part. I was given this rod as a wedding gift from my dad. Didn't have the money to buy one. It's the cross water. I guess now it's time to save some money and tie flies in the meantime.

Give it a day or two. I'm sure they will respond. I know it's going to be a long painful wait, but I'm sure in they end they will take care of you.

How long have you had the rod? A quick google search came back with a 1 year warranty for that model.

wyobowhunter21

Reaction score
I got married in August....and no kidding. Today killed me. I want to get out and practice. Just a plastic reel isn't cutting it lol.

myobangling87

Reaction score
Northeast United States, Earth, Sol System, Milky
It might not be covered under a lifetime warranty. However, companies like Redington know that all it takes is one positive experience with a company to make a life long customer. Social media can literally make or break a company.

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

imho.... a company not putting backing on a reel is a trivial issue. If you're buying a combo outfit, the chances that they are putting a quality fly line on is slim. So the is a higher probability that you will want to put on a quality fly line shortly after you get to set up. Just my .02

I can say that is true for the first combo outfit I got from Bass Pro(Dog-poop Wood Canyon). It was complete sh*t. However the line that came on my LL Bean(Quest II) and Orvis combos(Clearwater and Encounter) have been quite exceptional in my non-expert opinion. I can actually make long casts and have line control on the stock lines whereas the stock fly line on the BP combo was very poor in terms of casting efficiently beyond 15-20 feet.