Do you know your state fish?

hopescooter

Reaction score
So I was drinking my favorite local beer, Cutthroat from Uintas brewery. Somehow I missed this wording on the label all this time, "Saluting Utah's state fish". I googled to confirm, Bonneville Cutthroat indeed is Utah's state fish. Incidentally Cutthroat rules in Wyoming, Idaho, Montana as well. Kinda interesting, I guess. :)

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Like most places in the upper mid-west Brook Trout....Though there was some ribbing for a while that it should be the Lamprey......Just looking it up after I posted, 9 states total claim the Brook Trout.

B.E.F.

deceiverbob

Reaction score
In Mississippi it is the largemouth bass. And although a short search revealed nothing I thought speckled trout were named the state's saltwater fish.

chechem

Reaction score
In Mississippi it is the largemouth bass. And although a short search revealed nothing I thought speckled trout were named the state's saltwater fish.
I'm in Oxford, MS.
I agree, I thought the 'speckled trout' was recognized as such. But then, since the true name is "Spotted Seatrout", maybe not!

I lived in Louisiana when a bill came before the House proposing the "crayfish" as the state fish. Just before the vote, someone pointed out that it wasn't a fish. "It's a crustacean", came a reply, and the bill was revised. Now Louisiana has a 'State Crustacean'.

:D

wolfglen

Reaction score
The last I checked, the state freshwater fish was the large mouth bass, probably to honor the big mouthed politicians.

Now, the State tree of Florida is the cabbage palm, interesting because like many families tree here, it has no branches. Therefore, it is not a tree, it is a monocot (a grass) for the hay brained people who run the state.

Now, the state salt water fish is the Atlantic sailfish, also interesting because there are very few places in the state where it can be caught within the state waters, 3 naut. miles on the east coast and 8 naut. on the west coast.

I'm surprised that it's not the square grouper as square grouperfishermen have contributed so much to the political quagmire of the state.

Now, how about the state gem? Yep, it's the moonstone and moonstones are not found in Florida.

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
Cutthroat Trout... That is how I choose the name of the Business. I know, original....

No particular species of cutthroat trout is specified. There are three subspecies of cutthroat trout native to Idaho and all three can be considered official state fish.

Bonneville cutthroat trout
Westslope cutthroat trout
Yellowstone cutthroat trout