Snakes!

darkshadow

Reaction score
Apparently, Spring is already giving way to Summer in Southern California, and there are more reports of rattlesnakes being active and in their usual haunts, which usually doesn't happen until April or May.

I HATE snakes. I've ran into a black bear, various coyotes, bobcats, and even almost gotten taken out by a landslide. I've even felt the presence of a mountain lion tracking me, but none of these have made my just pack up my things and head back to the car. A rattler though? I've high tailed it back to my truck because of running into a good dozen of them, including one that was highly pissed off. I've only had a few rattlesnake incidents in my time, but all were close encounters. SoCal usually has the Western Diamondback but in some areas, Mojave Greens are the resident viper of choice.

I rarely fish our local creeks during the summer, especially since doing so entails some sort of bushwacking through terrain where you can't see your feet, and after last season's run in with multiple rattlers on the stretch of hike, and seeing them swimming across the creek like nobody's business, I try to fish high altitude areas where I know the possibilities of running into one are slim to none.

Anybody also deathly afraid of snakes and has had any incidents ruined a trip before or change where you fish because of their presence?

rfb700

Reaction score
Southeastern Ontario, Canada (armpit of the trout
I love snakes. I have a pair of Boa Constrictors.

If you are in the bush and are really concerned, buy a pair of snake proof boots. No rattler will bite through them.

And snakes are more afraid of you than you are of them. Unless you actually step on one, the odds of you being bit are huge.

I know phobias are hard to overcome, but you really have nothing to worry about.

Reaction score
The snakes where I fish hang from the trees over the stream. Nothing like walking into a snake at eye level.

darkshadow

Reaction score
And snakes are more afraid of you than you are of them. Unless you actually step on one, the odds of you being bit are huge.

I know phobias are hard to overcome, but you really have nothing to worry about.
And that is the main problem, the fact that I do a lot of bush whacking where trails are pretty nonexistent ....On wide trails, I have no problems with rattlers as long as I spot them from a distance and take evasive action. The problem starts with the vegetation on game trails start reaching knee high levels in the late spring after the rains and having no idea where your next step is going.

My first rattler incident happened in that manner, and he struck as I was already stepping over him, without even realizing it. I heard the rattle, turned back and he was a foot behind me coiled up and p'ed off. I have no idea how I didn't step on it. And to make things even better, as i backed away slowly, wouldn't you guess it, another rattler was directly behind me. If I had ran after nearly stepping on the first one, I would've ran into the 2nd.

I realize the odds of getting bit are pretty slim, but the mind still realizes that the possibilities are there. (Oh, and once I heard rattlers were pretty adept at swimming, my "I'll just jump in the river" idea went out the window.)

wolfglen

Reaction score
I just love the statistics on shark attacks, snake bites, lightning strikes.
If you live in New York City you have 0% of being hit by lightning
In Arizona you have 0% of being bitten by a shark
in Alaska you have no chance of snake bite.

Who makes the stats? Any time you go out on a golf course in a lightning storm you chance being hit, any time in the palmettos you chance being bitten, wading in the surf a shark could get you.

I taught accident and crime scene investigation for years and you would be surprised at the ways they compute statistics.

You're in your car after having one beer and hit from behind by a 97 year old lady putting on her makeup in the rear view, on three tabs of valium, without her glasses with a cigarette in one hand and talking on her cell phone and to her friend in the back at the seat at the same time with bald tires. What is it called? An alcohol related accident!

Two boxes for the officer to check on condition of driver Normal or had been drinking. either driver has had one drink it's classed as alcohol related.
So the local newspaper reporter looks at the reports and writes. 12 drunk driving accidents this week in Podunk.

There is a fender bender at 5 mph and the report says he was wearing his seat belt: conclusion? seat belt saves lives

100 mph into a bridge abutment and the vehicle explodes, drive did not have seat belt. comclusion? driver died because he wasn't wearing his seat belt.

Common sense applied, you can go into snake territory, shark, alligator territory fairly safely. I carry a Taurus Judge in snake country and around my yard as I am going to eliminate any cottonmouth or rattler at the school.
Know there is one there, I don't kill it and a student is bitten? Liability big dime.

In bear country on foot I carry a 10MM or .44 mag in the boat it's the Ruger .375 mag carbine (4,700 ft lbs.)

In the boat it's several (remember this is drug smuggling territory and you're way away from any law enforcement. Remember when seconds count, the police are only minutes away. In SW Florida it can be hours.)

jdwy

Reaction score
Only, well my Dog, had one 'encounter.' WHAM, dog and I are off to the Vet's office. Surprised me as he had 'anti-venom' stuff on his shelf. Assume this was not too unusual? fae
Yep, while I had my horse at the vets he mentioned they now had a rattlesnake vaccine for dogs. Oddly enough, he said it's derived from horse urine but there's no vaccine for horses. Matter of fact he said he had a horse on the way in that afternoon that was snake bit.
You have less than a 1 in 37500 chance of being bitten.
Doubt if that applies if there's one coiled up right in the middle of the narrow trail around the lake with cattails/high grass on both sides of it. For once my dog was behind me plus I happened to see it about 6' in front of me otherwise I'd have stepped right on it. It scurried off before I could find limb to whack it with. A week later, same place, one buzzed in the brush along side the trail, I hustled to the truck, got my 44 Mag that had plinking loads in it and put the hurt on him. I later mentioned it to a lady who was walking her dogs and kids and she said there was a five footer on the other side.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Snakes don't bother me at all. What makes me cringe are spiders. My wife say's I'm very entertaining to watch if I have a spider on me. I'm my own comedy show.

planettrout

Reaction score
Apparently, Spring is already giving way to Summer in Southern California, and there are more reports of rattlesnakes being active and in their usual haunts, which usually doesn't happen until April or May.

I HATE snakes. I've ran into a black bear, various coyotes, bobcats, and even almost gotten taken out by a landslide. I've even felt the presence of a mountain lion tracking me, but none of these have made my just pack up my things and head back to the car. A rattler though? I've high tailed it back to my truck because of running into a good dozen of them, including one that was highly pissed off. I've only had a few rattlesnake incidents in my time, but all were close encounters. SoCal usually has the Western Diamondback but in some areas, Mojave Greens are the resident viper of choice.

I rarely fish our local creeks during the summer, especially since doing so entails some sort of bushwacking through terrain where you can't see your feet, and after last season's run in with multiple rattlers on the stretch of hike, and seeing them swimming across the creek like nobody's business, I try to fish high altitude areas where I know the possibilities of running into one are slim to none.

Anybody also deathly afraid of snakes and has had any incidents ruined a trip before or change where you fish because of their presence?
Unh...don't count on NOT running into buzzworms at high elevations. I have seen them up here on multiple occasions:

Inyo National Forest - Onion Valley

PT/TB :yikes:

rfb700

Reaction score
Well I suggest we start shooting dogs whenever we see them since they are responsible for more deaths every year than snake bite. Next time I see a pesky poodle lurking in the bushes I'm a gonna get my 12 gauge and blow it away. Got to protect the young uns. Them pesky canines are everywhere just waiting to attack

lil_ol_angler_me

Reaction score
I have a handy walking/wading staff made of 1/2 in pvc (I added a soft tip and a nice wrapped handle as I like things purtee) it and my 45 ACP loaded with shot loads go everywhere with me...in the desert here we have the nasty Western Diamond Back and Sidewinders and the very potent Mohave Green...the walking staff precedes me and the 45 is at ready on the hip for any that don't heed my get out of the way swat with the staff..

BZZZZZZZZZZ...BBZZZZZZZZZZzz...BOOM..... no more problem...they do make attractive hat bands for my stetsons

ditz

Reaction score
Yea buddy....I have never been afraid of bears....but then I don't fish Alaskan rivers. Bear attacks odds increase greatly when one fishes certain areas. Same with snakes or even brown recluse spiders. All depends where one is at any given time. I have never seen any of these nasty creatures at the local mall and caution is not mandated. In some other areas one needs to be more attentive. I used to spend a week or two every year up there and I never had any concerns with snakes or bears but I always stayed on the alert for moose. Saw a lot of droppings but never saw a moose but they can be a fearsome animal in the wild.;)

lil_ol_angler_me

Reaction score
That's exactly what I do when I'm walking through my neighborhood. Dog won't clear a path WOOF WOOF BLAMO. No more pooch. They make for good porch mats
dogs are a pussy walk in the park...I work Graveyards at Lake Mead Rec Area and it's a rare shift when I don't stare down at least two coyotes...one was so bold as to stick its head in my open office door...he /she caught a face full from my Kimber Blaster....it damn near fell in the lake getting away from me...usually a loud shout and a few quick steps towards them and they bolt in another direction

runningfish

Reaction score
Well, I used to be really afraid of the spiders, snakes, sharks, and cougar attack. But not anymore, I am more afraid of Gout attack now. Had one bit me last weekend on my right big toe and I am still limping.

rfb700

Reaction score
dogs are a pussy walk in the park...I work Graveyards at Lake Mead Rec Area and it's a rare shift when I don't stare down at least two coyotes...one was so bold as to stick its head in my open office door...he /she caught a face full from my Kimber Blaster....it damn near fell in the lake getting away from me...usually a loud shout and a few quick steps towards them and they bolt in another direction
Awesome. I like coyotes. Used to see them in the fields when I lived in Colorado Springs back.in the day

runningfish

Reaction score
Snakes don't bother me at all. What makes me cringe are spiders. My wife say's I'm very entertaining to watch if I have a spider on me. I'm my own comedy show.
I feel you man, me too.

Had an animal lover coworker once, he brought his tarantula to work knowing that I hated spiders. He said that he would leave the tarantula on my desk tomorrow morning. I said "go ahead if you don't want it to be a flatula"